Scott Kellner
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I was reading the Kingdom Death official FAQ when I came across something that didn't make sense to me. Under the "Survivors" section of the FAQ there is a question that reads:
"What happens when a Savior gains "other" gear?"
Poots' answers the question thusly:
"Saviors may not gain gear with the "other" keyword. If this happens (such as through a story event), it is lost, or never existed in the first place. While this is undesirable most of the time, it does mean Saviors are immune to the King's Curse."

My question is regarding that last sentence; the example. I looked at the gear cards for the Regal armor set and they don't have the "other" keyword. What gives? Is this a typo? Were they intended to have the "other" keyword? It just seems like an odd situation for Adam to have given such a specific example and yet I can't find the information that supports that example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Fontaine
France
flag msg tools
mb
That's a question I've asked myself and here also but I've never gotten an answer.

My regal armour gear cards don't have the other keyword so I don"t see why a savior can't be subject to the King's Curse (apart from the fact a savior couldn't get the whole set in time before dying/vanishing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Unless they were Ageless.

Anyway its probably just a slip of the tongue on Poots's part. Plenty of Other gear, Regal Armour just happens to not be one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kellner
United States
California
flag msg tools
DeathJester23 wrote:
Unless they were Ageless.

Anyway its probably just a slip of the tongue on Poots's part. Plenty of Other gear, Regal Armour just happens to not be one of them.

Well, hear me out on this. In theory, information presented in the FAQ is intended to supplement and, where applicable, supersede the printed rules. Additionally, we know that Adam was under a lot of pressure to get this game released and I'm sure there were a few errors or omissions here and there. So while I agree it is completely possible that Adam merely gave an example without verifying it ahead of time, is it not also possible that he had intended the Regal set to be "other" and the keyword just got left out when the cards were printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Then it comes down to how you want to play it which is up to you.
-As cards are written (unfortunately with mistakes like the lack of "outfit" on the Manhunter's Hat)
-Or with the additions not written on the card but originally intended. Some don't like this because it's not there on the card and it's easy to forget.

Haha, but for us - we can't even kill the Kingsman. TPK every time...

I find it funny that Poots drops in from time to time on here and answers an obscure question but leaves the other question threads screaming for attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble is, he wasn't explicit that he was making a change to the rules- he clearly thought that a card was other when it was not.

Maybe it was intended to be other all along. Maybe it will be changed to other in the next printing. Maybe none of this is true, and he just screwed up his example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put my money on, somewhere in the beta, it had the keyword and then lost it. Having been through a huge number of drafts of things, it sometimes gets to be a blur which idea you stuck with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.