Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hello!

I’m Mark, and along with brother Jo, and father Simon Pearson, I’m one third of a London-based family trio that is the London Board Games Company. We’re avid boardgamers who also happen to be football fans, and we’ve just about finalised our debut game, The Football Game!

For years, we were frustrated by the lack of a game that brought football home (teehee!). We were put off by the time that computer management sims required, and bored by the snail's pace of tabletop games that tried to simulate single matches.

What we wanted to play was a game that captured the whole football experience for the fan. We wanted something that was about everything that happens off the pitch, as well as everything that happens on it! We think that the beauty of football is that it matters to people - clubs have loyal followers regardless of how well the team is performing.

The Football Game, is a funny, fast-paced, and easy-to-learn board game about football club management for 2 - 4 players. Each player takes charge of a Football Club and plays a whole season in 75 minutes. You don't have to be the best team to win - the winner is the club that most exceeds the expectations of it's fans!

''Why Football?''

We hear 'Ew, football' a lot, but we equally hear people go 'finally, a good football management game!'. We fall into a category that is larger than many of you might think: board gamers fans who are also sports fans.

Upon playing the game, Nigel of GamesQuest said 'I've been trying to make this game for decades - but I don't need to now because you've done it - this is it'

''I don't like or know anything about football. Do I need to?''

No - You don’t need to like or know a thing about football to enjoy the game. A consistent remark from our demoers and playtesters is 'I don't like football, but I loved that!'.

We understand that a well designed game keeps players engaged by forcing interesting decisions throughout. Besides, it’s full of jokes, wonderful characters, stunning colourful artwork and nuanced strategy that make it a good time for everyone.

''I DO like football, what about me?

Fantastic, this is the game for you! The game was created specifically with football fans and families with football-enthused kids in mind.

You’ll find that The Football Game is packed with in-jokes, references, and narratives that capture the wonderful madness of the world’s most beloved sport. Give it a go!

OK, so how do I play?

Players each take control of a football club and play through an entire football season in little over an hour. You’ll win the game by exceeding the expectations of your fans and chairman; so if you’re a ‘top six’ club you must challenge for the title, while newly promoted ‘yo-yo’ clubs can win with a mid-table finish!

The stars of the show in The Football Game are the 80 footballer characters (such as the Wing Wizard, the Ancient Attacker, the Devious Diver, the Calamity Keeper). Each has a colour, a position and an ability rating that will influence when and how you play them. You’ll have to dip into the transfer market to build a squad with strength and depth, pick the right first team at the right time, and mastermind the play of your Tactics cards.

You’re never left waiting for action the Match Day roll each turn affects all Clubs. Some players will do well, and others will do badly. So just like on a real match day, teams will rise and fall on the league table and everyone watches in joy or despair as they find out how they’ve performed.

Tactics cards can be the difference between stealing the title for some, and avoiding relegation for others. These cards allow your footballers to pull off feats such as elegant interceptions, lucky deflections and wonder goals to increase your match score. You can also nobble other Clubs with attack cards that make footballers miss ‘sitters’, score own goals and more.

Rolling events; you may discover a youth team super-star, see billionaire buyouts, training ground bust-ups, footballers rebellions, manager egos, mind games, nightclub incidents and many more - fifty different events may make or break your season. Your best plans might also be torpedoed by the gods of Injuries and Knocks.

At the end of the final round, the club that has most exceeded the expectations of its supporters will have the most victory points, and that Player will be declared the winner!

''Where can I buy the game?''

We unveiled manufacturer's prototypes of the game at the 2016 UK Games Expo and were delighted by the response: Football fans and non-fans alike loved The Football Game!

The game will be on Kickstarter to fund a first production run from Tuesday 27th September 2016. You can visit the Kickstarter page here: http://goo.gl/GSfvak

FIND US AT SPIELE ESSEN: Hall 4, Booth 4-B123

If you're interested in the game, would like to demo the game, or would simply like to learn more:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LondonBoardGamesCo/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MHP_LonBoardCo

We update regularly and every like/follow really helps us out! Help us bring football home!

Many thanks,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Introduction...

when I click the link for the KS preview page it goes to the KS home page.

Also, will you have a gameplay video available?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Sorry about that! I believe the link is now fixed.

Our Kickstarter video is nearly finished. We'll upload that video on the Kickstarter page (of course), here on BGG, and on our website.

A number of reviewers are also working on videos of their own - these should include more in-depth gameplay sections. I'll be sure to keep our BGG entry updated as soon as those are available.

Thanks

~Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's working now

You guys will be demoing the game at Essen? I saw that Essen is on the calendar at the end of the page... would love to try the game there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Excellent!

We will absolutely be at Essen - we've booked our stand and are getting things in place. It'd be great to see you there

We received new mfc prototypes on Tuesday and I've posted pics of them today on Facebook and Twitter - be sure the check them out!

https://www.facebook.com/LondonBoardGamesCo/
https://twitter.com/MHP_LonBoardCo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MHPearson LonBoardCo wrote:
Excellent!

We will absolutely be at Essen - we've booked our stand and are getting things in place. It'd be great to see you there

We received new mfc prototypes on Tuesday and I've posted pics of them today on Facebook and Twitter - be sure the check them out!

https://www.facebook.com/LondonBoardGamesCo/
https://twitter.com/MHP_LonBoardCo

Do you know the booth number you'll be on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Muse23PT wrote:

Hall 4, Booth 4-B123
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

Hall 4, Booth 4-B123

will go there to try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Hall 4, Booth 4-B123

will go there to try it

Report back to the HQ afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The video now is up in the game's main page! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

Hall 4, Booth 4-B123

Will try and make a visit to your booth also Mark ;-)

Greets, Marlon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.