Subject: Next Up for Band of Brothers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
The BoB Kickstarter did so well that I have been given the green light by Worthington to do as many BoB games as my little heart desires. (well, something like that)

So, here is what is on the horizon right now.

1. Band of Brothers: Battle Pack 1 will hopefully be on Kickstarter in 2-3 months.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/207446/band...

This will be a dependent game. It will include a double sided map that is 22"x34", one of which will be a snow map. It will also include a counter sheet that will provide counters for some of the larger scenarios. Also included will be SS counters. The scenarios are done and being playtested, the maps are done, and the counters are in progress. This is a small and nimble enough project that we think it is quite possible that this will be in your hands within 6 months. Brendan's work has really helped make this Battle Pack a reality. Yes, it will include at least one Ferdinand scenario from Beresford.

2. Band of Brothers: Old Breed South Pacific will hopefully be Kickstarted in about 9 months.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/207587/band-brothers...

This is a completely stand alone game. The scenarios are done, but broader playtesting beyond Dean and I has not started yet. The maps are done. The counter art has not been started. Dean has poured his LIFE into this module and it shows.

I would encourage you to subscribe to both of these games as Dean and I are going to begin populating these pages probably starting next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
With the LockNLoad folks going full-bore with their output, it only makes sense to put the proverbial pedal to the metal here as well. Strike while the iron is HOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,

Hopefully people like myself who got the kickstarter will get an e-mail from your team when the new ones go live?

I sometimes miss updates on BGG etc. but would love to be poked when the new kickstarter goes up.

Thanks!

edit:
Ps, when I say e-mail, I don't mean here on the geek, but, on the e-mail addresses from the kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anybody ever tell you that a Band of Brothers: 82nd Airborne expansion would be really cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did anybody ever tell you that a Band of Brothers: 82nd Airborne expansion would be really cool?

Judd has!

There is probably not enough differentiation between the 101st and not enough demand for the 82nd to warrant a complete expansion just for the 82nd. There are also many other units and countries that are crying out for an expansion first.

However, whenever we do extra scenarios, I do look for the 82nd. At least one of the big map scenarios in the Battle Pack will feature them. It is the 82nd versus elements of the Das Reich SS Panzer Division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
There are also many other units and countries that are crying out for an expansion first.

..and other eras entirely.. maybe something for the '60s/'70s.. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just got my feet wet with the 2nd chance kickstarter for the BoB series(I just got them a few dsys ago and am into a few scenarios, my initial impression is that this series and system of ruleset cries out that the O.S.S, Rangers, special forces and/or British Commando missions. They can really be brought out to great effect! If they have already then awesome-as I just began playing these games, that's my first thought)
S.S. in the pipeline is neat to see, but of course must be done tactfully and with respect for what S.S. unfortunately meant and symbolized to people. Don't forget about German Special Ops either. Germany's para units were some of the most elite. The capturing of the fortress at Eban Emael stands out.

Lots of good possibilities to draw from!
Am excited to see what comes down the line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ps, when I say e-mail, I don't mean here on the geek, but, on the e-mail addresses from the kickstarter campaign.

I'm sure they will, but it doesn't hurt to sign up for their mailing list.

http://worthingtonpublishing.com/?page_id=514
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the Commonwealth module, but then you mentioned a snow map and alright put me down for one of those too. For some reason that's my weakness. Put a game in snow and I'll probably buy it—Memoir '44: Eastern Front, A Castle for All Seasons, I dodged Snow Tails since Rallyman already has snow boards, barely resisted buying Carcassonne: Winter Edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Great news - subscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. Love playing with my new US counters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good news to hear.

Couple comments/questions:

1) You should post in TA and GP forums, pointing to this thread. I've been patiently watching the 'Bonus scenario' thread in TA, waiting for an announcement, and didn't think to look here right away.

2) The 22x34 maps-- mounted or not?

3) I have 3 sets of rules/PACs/dice and 2 sets of markers. If this is dependent, please, Please, PLEASE do not include another rules book, dice or markers. No need to include PAC either unless snow/other new terrain adds a lot of modifiers. Helps keep the cost down. I understand the rules/PAC in TA, that was for people upgrading from SE. but with the Battle Pack, let's keep it stripped down.

All we need are: new maps, unit counters and scenario book/cards-- although with that last, I would be very happy if there were only scenario cards and no scenario book. We don't need both.

Card vs Scenario book poll results from last year

4) How is the spacing for Commonwealth and 90th ID modules, which will come first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - sure

2 - probably unmounted. They do not need to butt up against other maps and so it is less important, but I won't know for sure until we get there.

3 - Yep, that would be the plan

4 - Not sure yet. I know the next two things for sure, but the order is unclear after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
....I have 3 sets of rules/PACs/dice and 2 sets of markers. If this is dependent, please, Please, PLEASE do not include another rules book, dice or markers.....

But Ron, YOU found an error! And somebody else found a second one.

shake

So now we, or at least I must have a new rulebook. And it's only fair that if you are costing me money, you be paying as well. And yeah, ignoring the fact that those two items slipped by me...so, for Ron only, I will pay the extra cost of including a new rulebook, how about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a hard time reading context, but I'm going by the assumption that you're mostly kidding around.

Seriously though, regardless of cost, I don't think anybody can justify another version of rules based on only 2 relatively small errors.

First off, there's just too much chance of introducing yet another error. Living rules, sure, update that every time you find something new. Going through layout and printing it up? I'd be very wary.

One more reason not to print a new version of the rules: publishers take a LOT of flak when customers think that they are forced/coerced into buying 'upgrades.' They (gamers) might otherwise skip the Battle Pack except it would be the only place to get a copy of 'new, official' rules, and they might feel squeezed/put upon if they are laying out cash for 2 minor adjustments to the rules. I'm sure somebody would toss a few slings and arrows at Jim and Worthington if they printed 2.11 with the Battle Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry, context is hard. I am mostly kidding around. I DO want the game to be perfect, but all the points you raise are valid and important. I trust Jim/Worthington will know what is best.

But I'm still embarrassed and therefore my offer to you is valid, the next rule edition (if there is one) is on me.

BTW, I attended UCSB my freshman year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if we find other errors.

Eventually, we will do another stand along module and you will get a new set of rules in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed to both links.

Just played my first Game of BoB:SE last night. The training scenario and I was very pleased. Having played most of the Tactical Level Games on the market (ASL, CoH, CC) I find that BoB:SE offers something different and a very unique game play.

I often found myself looking for my "leader" on the board. I fully understand the design decesions that went into not having Leaders, but a few times I did have to stop and remember it is a different system. I think it works and makes it fluid. Game play is fast but not burdensome, with some real choices to make along the way.

I am looking forward to new scenarios but also the Pacific Theater.

However, I would like to add that while new product needs to be released to keep the lifeline moving - I do find the Player Aid Card (2.1) provided with the game to be lacking. The PAC Terriain and Modifier side is good and easyish to follow, but the other side just feels like a random set of notes. Stepping back one can see a bit of order, but not really inline with game play IMO.

Every time I went to the "main" non terrain side of the PAC - I was not sure where to look. I, personally, would like it in a more logical flow. I would hesitate to provide this card to a beginner or someone without experience in Wargames. I think it adds more complexity.

For me personally, I would rather see broad topics - order of play, general procedure for fire, mc - and then for the more specific topics a rule book reference (after all it is not that long) to some of the specifics.

Certainly after a couple of plays many of the procedures become second nature, but in those first plays a more clean and logical PAC would be welcome.

I am not trying to take away from the new product being released, just adding to my wishlist that the Reference Card be "tighten" up a bit for the future. I think this will help more become involved with this Genre of Gaming.

Still looking forward to the new products. Thanks for the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
The BoB Kickstarter did so well that I have been given the green light by Worthington to do as many BoB games as my little heart desires.

And they will all be eaten raw!

Just curious - where do you think Band of Brothers is in 5, 10 or even 20 years? Do you have any specific dreams or long term goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WW2 is short term.

In the PTO:

- Old Breed South Pacific
- Historical and campaign module
- Old Breed Central Pacific

In the ETO:

- Battle Pack 1
- From the Ground Up - Neal's historical module
- Commonwealth
- Desert/Italians
- Late war/Soviet
- Early war

That is just what is on the table at the moment. I'm sure along the way we will pick up some other ideas.

I would love to go to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Sci-Fi :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to need a bigger house.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
WW2 is short term.

In the PTO:

- Old Breed South Pacific
- Historical and campaign module
- Old Breed Central Pacific

In the ETO:

- Battle Pack 1
- From the Ground Up - Neal's historical module
- Commonwealth
- Desert/Italians
- Late war/Soviet
- Early war

That is just what is on the table at the moment. I'm sure along the way we will pick up some other ideas.

I would love to go to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Sci-Fi :-)

Wow! That's alot! surprise Modern topics sounds cool too. I know that Lock N' Load did one, but a game set in Mogadishu '93 would be awesome, I think.
Are there any information about the ETO historical module yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormP wrote:

Are there any information about the ETO historical module yet?

No game page yet.

US 90ID project BGG thread

Designer's blog on ETO historical module

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans to do a scenario with those captured Shermans that were in TA? How about some scenarios more prominently featuring US Armored forces? I know TA is a game about an infantry division, but with the extensive counter mix that I was provided, I thought more of it would show up in the scenarios. Also, I'd love to see captured T-34s represented in BoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The captured Shermans are used in SE in one scenario. Captured T34s show up in the Battle Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.