United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember seeing any kind of delay announced in the KS update, but it doesn't seem like the game will be done and shipped by then.

Has anyone heard anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solidd wrote:
I don't remember seeing any kind of delay announced in the KS update, but it doesn't seem like the game will be done and shipped by then.

No, it won't arrive next month. They haven't completed development yet, much less pre-production. At best, I think we'll see this sometime in Q1, 2017, or more likely Q2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also doubt that it will arrive at the end of October, but I don't think end of the year is already out of the question.
Preproduction of figures has been started by Panda, already, so the really problematic bits, production-wise, are worked upon.

I am not sure where they will produce the cards, but card printing is, as they wrote in an early upgrade, not that time-consuming. Of course, it all depends on where they will produce the cards - and there I am not sure, anymore. If they are produced with Panda, aswell (and I think everything is), then end of the year is cutting it pretty close. They would need to ship mid-october at the latest, to more or less guarantee fulfillment beginning before christmas...

...still, it IS possible. We have not had an update for a month, now, and it all depends on where the card preparation is, right now, and how far the translation has gotten since then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You obviously missed the update that informed us of the amount of art needed for this game and asking it we backers wanted him to hire more artists or keep with just using Anya which would add something like 6 months to the schedule. It was pretty unanimous to keep using just Anya.

I'm not sure which update it was but you should probably read through them all to see what else you've missed (and look at the stunning art)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not unusual for KS games to arrive more than a year after the original projection, based on my own experiences. Just one of the reasons why this, V Commandos and Gloomhaven will be my final 3 pledges.

Really stoked to receive the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
You obviously missed the update that informed us of the amount of art needed for this game and asking it we backers wanted him to hire more artists or keep with just using Anya which would add something like 6 months to the schedule. It was pretty unanimous to keep using just Anya.

I'm not sure which update it was but you should probably read through them all to see what else you've missed (and look at the stunning art)

I think you are referring to the Gloom of Kilforth KS, not 7th Continent.

But that's a game worth waiting for as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with GLGames: I'm betting on receiving my copy end of Q1 or early Q2 in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit, you're right. No idea why I did that other than they are next to each other in my backed list (and in my top anticipated games list).

It's almost the same answer. Things are taking longer - arting, checking, doing, etc. and the game will be delayed. No official date has been announced as they can't say with certainty yet and don't want to keep publishing dates they can't meet.

It does look like March/April at the earliest. I'm confident it will be worth the wait and I'd rather have a fully tested/proofread/playtested game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
It is not unusual for KS games to arrive more than a year after the original projection, based on my own experiences. Just one of the reasons why this, V Commandos and Gloomhaven will be my final 3 pledges.

Of course, if nobody pledges, the games won't come out later -- they won't come out at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Of course, if nobody pledges, the games won't come out later -- they won't come out at all.

More likely the publishers will shift their model. There were games before Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

That's kind of sad but it's your decision

I can tell what you mean though. The reason I'm still going to pledge kickstarters is because there are a few creators that are pretty trustworthy to be timely.

Man, I wish I had backed Gloomhaven though!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

More likely the publishers will shift their model. There were games before Kickstarter.

Few of these games are kickstarted by publishers. That said, I'm not too happy with actual publishers doing kickstarting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Few of these games are kickstarted by publishers. That said, I'm not too happy with actual publishers doing kickstarting.

100% of Kickstarter board games are by publishers. By definition. That's what they are doing, publishing board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I can tell what you mean though. The reason I'm still going to pledge kickstarters is because there are a few creators that are pretty trustworthy to be timely.

You can pre-order the Kickstarter version of Gloomhaven through the BGG Marketplace, or the retail version from the publisher. There's very little difference between the two.

No such luck with 7th Continent though. The publisher absolutely refuses to allow late pledges now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

100% of Kickstarter board games are by publishers. By definition. That's what they are doing, publishing board games.

Ah, sorry, thought you meant big publishers like Queen Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

To the contrary, there are a lot of established publishers using Kickstarter (Queen, EGG, Cryptozoic, 8th Summit, CMON, etc.). And in discussions I've had with a few of them, if a game doesn't fund on Kickstarter, then they likely won't publish it at all. Kickstarter provides a decent (but not perfect) gauge of retail success for a game. If it can't attract enough backers in a campaign, then it's unlikely to sell enough copies at retail to justify the cost of publishing it.

However I think the more interesting feature of Kickstarter is the number of innovative, interesting and quality games being published by indie publishers that might not otherwise have been published. Cthulhu Wars absolutely would not have been published if it had not successfully funded on Kickstarter. There are dozens of games that fit in this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
solidd wrote:

No, it won't arrive next month. They haven't completed development yet, much less pre-production. At best, I think we'll see this sometime in Q1, 2017, or more likely Q2.
18Q2, you heard it here first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I'm not sad about it, we each have our own thresholds and I've reached mine with the KS model.

Having said that, 7C and Gloomhaven are the games I've most anticipated and can't wait to get my hands on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Kickstarter provides a decent (but not perfect) gauge of retail success for a game. If it can't attract enough backers in a campaign, then it's unlikely to sell enough copies at retail to justify the cost of publishing it.

That's true, but if the number of people who are willing to buy a game but don't like to pledge goes up across the board (not just for one particular game), then publishers can take that into account when inferring the level of interest from the amount of backers/preorders they receive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back to the original questions: Delays were announced quite early on in updates (we've known about them since quite early this year), but there is no new ETA yet, because they simply don't know. They want to wait until they actually know that they can keep the deadline they announce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Kickstarter provides a decent (but not perfect) gauge of retail success for a game. If it can't attract enough backers in a campaign, then it's unlikely to sell enough copies at retail to justify the cost of publishing it.

That's true, but if the number of people who are willing to buy a game but don't like to pledge goes up across the board (not just for one particular game), then publishers can take that into account when inferring the level of interest from the amount of backers/preorders they receive.

In theory, yes, publishers could take that into account. Not sure how relevant that is, though, since there is no evidence that such a trend is happening in the aggregate across Kickstarter tabletop game projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I'm with GLGames: I'm betting on receiving my copy end of Q1 or early Q2 in 2017.

I suspect you will both be disappointed. I'm hoping to get my copy before 2018, but I'm not counting on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Yeah. I'm really disappointed they ran the KS before the art was finished. That's a rookie mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Yeah. I'm really disappointed they ran the KS before the art was finished. That's a rookie mistake.

Next time they should defer the Kickstarter until they have the boxed games ready to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

You are aware of the amount of art that is needed for this game, yes?
It would have been impossible to have all of this done beforehand, because it is a major factor of time and thus money and so couldn't have been done before knowing the kickstarter succeeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.