Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When do you expect Evolution: Climate to make landfall from sea? A major shipping company reported bankruptcy today and wanted to be sure our games aren't lost at sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't dump cargo mid-run, do they? What would be the point? Is it even possible? Honestly, I don't know if the cranes are on the ships or the docks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
They are on that slow boat from China. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, when a shipping company goes bankrupt they immediately scuttle all their vessels wherever they are and claim off the insurance.

I'll be ok though because my KS order included the flight expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
As I understand it, when a shipping company goes bankrupt they immediately scuttle all their vessels wherever they are and claim off the insurance.

So the movie Hackers (1995) is based on a true story! I knew it; there really is a Da Vinci virus that can capsize a company's entire fleet with the push a single button!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I've yet to see a statement that anything's even made it onto a ship at this point. "frustrating delays which makes the timeline a little more opaque" makes me suspect things are still in a warehouse. If that's the case the bankruptcy is going to make it suddenly much harder to get anything on a ship. If it already on an effected ship the likely situation is that it's sitting on a ship not allowed to leave port in China or when it gets to the US they won't be allowed to dock. Worst case is that everything could sit on a ship just off shore for months on end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the games are finished and waiting in China for IdeaSpatcher to pick them up and ship them to their distribution centers. I will post an update when I get confirmation that they are on ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, IdeaSpatcher? That explains ANY delays right there. soblueyuk
I'll expect my order by Easter then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:

What's a good fulfillment service that we should be using? IdeaSpatcher is the company that Jamie Stegmaier uses for his KS campaigns (Scythe etc) and he says they are good. I thought going with his recommendation would be a good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
kilrah wrote:

What's a good fulfillment service that we should be using? IdeaSpatcher is the company that Jamie Stegmaier uses for his KS campaigns (Scythe etc) and he says they are good. I thought going with his recommendation would be a good idea...

I don't have extensive personal experience with them beyond what I read in updates on other Kickstarter projects I backed, but the rumors I hear (and others can confirm) is that their service has gone rapidly downhill over the last year or two. I know of at least one other project fulfilling right now that expressed significant frustration with the lack of communication from Ideaspatcher.

As for who might be better at this point, those living in Europe can speak more directly to suggestions.

***Edit for typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
kilrah wrote:

He used to recommend them. He had a pretty poor experience with them for Scythe though:
http://stonemaiergames.com/insights-from-fulfilling-scythe-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. We chose IdeaSpatcher before Scythe was delivered. I wish I could go back in time.

soblue

(But thanks for the link. Very interesting info)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
So, on Wednesday, world's 7th largest container shipping company, South Korea based Hanjin, filed for bankruptcy protection. They represent about 8% of trans-Pacific shipping traffic, and the bankruptcy has left several fully loaded ships in limbo, unable to unload or being seized by authorities in China and Singapore. Container shipping prices from China to US jumped 50% following the news.

My first thought reading this was: Which boardgame publisher was unlucky enough to get completely hosed by this event?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631572/shipping-just-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things could be worse for us (ie NSG and backers). If we were relying on a speedier logistics company, the games might already be on a Hanjin ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooo, ideaspatcher...
The delays are one thing, but the last game I received from them was also horribly packaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll formulate it this way - before my pledge for Millenium Blades I never had any interest in who shipped my games. Some where slightly faster some slightly slower, some better packed and some worse. But everything within expected problems.

Well for Millenium Blades Ideaspatcher was supposed to ship the games in March. Now I have to admit they weren't the only ones that made mistakes in that process, but lets just say I am STILL waiting for a part of that shipment to arrive. In addition communication with them was either not answered at all or after 3+ weeks (the project creators seem to have no better luck either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue gulp

Hearing these things makes me sick to my stomach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering why the people in charge couldn't have asked around before going with this shipping company?

I'm not saying that there should have been tons of research done before deciding on a shipping company, but a simple question about people's thoughts would have revealed this rather quickly, and saved tons of time and effort.

Just curious why this couldn't have been figured out sooner. After all, people want this game to do well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
dvader123 wrote:
Just wondering why the people in charge couldn't have asked around before going with this shipping company?

I'm not saying that there should have been tons of research done before deciding on a shipping company, but a simple question about people's thoughts would have revealed this rather quickly, and saved tons of time and effort.

Just curious why this couldn't have been figured out sooner. After all, people want this game to do well.

It depends how long ago the decision was made. It wasn't really that long ago that asking around would have resulted in recommendations. This seems to be a case of a company doing too well too fast followed by a crash and burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
dvader123 wrote:

It depends how long ago the decision was made. It wasn't really that long ago that asking around would have resulted in recommendations. This seems to be a case of a company doing too well too fast followed by a crash and burn.

In fact, if you read back 10 or 11 posts in this very thread you'll see that Dominic did ask around and was advised to go with IdeaSpatcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onkel Mac
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
I think the games are finished and waiting in China for IdeaSpatcher to pick them up and ship them to their distribution centers. I will post an update when I get confirmation that they are on ships.

I'm moving October 1st.
How can I make sure the game gets shipped to the (new) correct address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ideaspatcher seem to have swung very quickly from "highly recommended" to "avoid at all costs". Part of the reason I backed out of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past was because Ideaspatcher were handling distribution.

They were involved in the shipping delays for Eminent Domain: Exotica, Millennium Blades, Pixel Tactics Deluxe, Shadowstar Corsairs, Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis, Nova Cry, and doubtless others.

They've repeatedly blamed their delays on customs in France, but given how hard it is to get information out of Ideaspatcher and how unreliable that information is, it's hard to tell how much of it is their fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onkel Mac wrote:
domcrap wrote:

I'm moving October 1st.
How can I make sure the game gets shipped to the (new) correct address?

I'm not sure. Ask Jonathan by going to the NorthStarGames website and licking on the "Contact Us" tab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.