Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us enjoy the brutal nature of the game. As I mentioned in an earlier post, glenfun provided a variant in which the catastrophe tokens start OFF the card and only when the first time one is drawn are they placed onto the grey circle on the card. The effect is that it allows one more draw of the card before a catastrophe hits. Granted I have only used the variant while playing multiplayer, but it works very well. I have only played solo a few times and it was brutal...but I still enjoyed it.

But if you don't find it enjoyable, it is what it is.

Take care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
Its seems you were the victim rather poor luck. But even so, I agree that disasters are the name of the game here. The game should have been named "The Fall: the ancient city state - only slightly better than tribal camps". Given a refocus, I play it to see how well I do against my destruction. This is not a paradigm of success but of doing better than bad. Most folks dislike this "not too awful" as a goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Andy!

Great to see, that you gave this game another try.
I've seen at my testgames, that sometimes catastrophes hits very hard and you cannot do anything, especially if the drought hits your big cornfield.
Some players really dislike the testgame, because they've seen it at the worst scenario. In the present time, most of em wouldn't play this game again.
For others it runs very well and they love it from the start.

So, I wish you some fun and send you greetings from germany
Bernd

PS: the expansion is out now and it is especially for people that think, the catastrophes hits too hard :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess this is all water under the bridge now that you've moved on but...
Andy Kent wrote:
1) I bought the Port. This has a coin in the bottom right corner - the production corner. NOWHERE IN THE RULES IS THIS EXPLAINED. The bottom right corner has the wood, stone and wheat you need to a) build buildings and b) feed your people in the supply round. So where do coins come in? I had to come to BGG to find the answer in a thread about Thebes' extras luxury good icon. Why is this not in the rules????

It is in the rules. I'm surprised no one has picked you up on this but on page 19 (where it lists the special buildings) it says: "The port provides a coin card as income and protects against decline."
Quote:
Now this catastrophe mechanic may work well if you have a lot of cards to play with, but with just a handful, a catastrophe will likely cripple you, making you unable to recover to protect yourself from the next. That might be realistic, but come on - that's just not fun.

Now, I've only had one full (solo) game and on the easiest level but I didn't find it nearly as punishing. By the end only three catastrophes had occurred, two of which I was immune to by the time they did occur so was only effected by the Earthquake. At the time I had two buildings so lost one of them. I was able to cover it with a coin card so didn't lose its symbol at the top which still contributed towards my protection from other catastrophes. I finished on 21 points.
Quote:
So I figure I wasn't unlucky at all - just a standard game.

I've only had one game myself so I can't really judge how typical either of our experiences were but I think it is a real shame if you've given up on the game after only one proper play through and what, it certainly seems to me, was very unlucky.

I wonder also whether you definitely had all the rules correct? On the easiest level (of the solo rules), you get three resource cards as part of your starting tableau as well as the ability to buy two cards (once per epoch). This really helps to get your engine going and getting catastrophe protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.