Hide
9 Posts

Band of Brothers: Old Breed South Pacific» Forums » General

Subject: What to expect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Halley
msg tools
Greetings everyone. My name is Dean Halley and I am designing the next game to be released in the Band of Brothers series. The game is called Old Breed South Pacific (OBSP) and it focus's on the 1st Marine Division's battles on Guadalcanal in 1942 and New Britain in early 1944 (the 1st Marine Division's nickname is "The Old Breed").

OBSP will contain at least a dozen scenarios (probably more), mini-campaign games and rules that use the boards in the game, and possibly two historical campign games that use historical maps. It will also introduced rules for the south pacific, the United States Marine Corps (USMC) and the Japanese.

The boards are 11" x 17" and are already being finalized by Michael. And Christopher has already been contacted too about the art work for the counters. So as you can see, OBSP is moving towards publication in 2017.

I will post a picture from Guadalcanal or New Britain soon that will have to do until the box cover art work has been selected and then completed. That is a few months off, but I wanted something there for now (its better than a blank blue and white square).

That's it for now.

Take care everyone,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a proofreader, I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
Stig,
Thanks for the offer. I will pass it on to Jim.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in hearing more about how the Japanese are depicted in this game, both in terms of individual squad stats/rules but also in terms of their unfortunate tendency to charge towards the americans instead of holding back in cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the 11x17" maps have roads on them like the European maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Will the 11x17" maps have roads on them like the European maps?

No, there are no roads - it is Guadalcanal. There are some paths, but they are limited and never leave the map they are on.

The vast majority of the edge hex terrain is jungle - meaning that maps butt up against each other jungle to jungle with no break in most places.

That is one of the reasons why this is Old Breed South Pacific. Hopefully there will eventually be an Old Breed Central Pacific. There the terrain is much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Quote:
I am very interested in hearing more about how the Japanese are depicted in this game, both in terms of individual squad stats/rules but also in terms of their unfortunate tendency to charge towards the americans instead of holding back in cover.

Give us a little time on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
No roads as Jim said and lots of jungle. The paths on the boards are kind of random, just like they were in real life. Especially on New Britain island, where the inhabitants would often make paths for a specific reason and then abandon the paths after the need for them had passed. And paths that weren't regularly used were very quickly overgrown by the jungle.

When more paths are desired for a scenario, I have designed a Passage counter and a rule to go with it that are used to temporarily create them on the boards for the scenarios. The really cool part to this rule (at least in my opinion) is that both sides often get to place Passage counters before the scenario starts, so the paths can be custom fitted to each side's victory conditions.

That is what both sides did anyway... hack out paths in the jungle as needed if no paths already existed. It also makes for great replay value.

Take care,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deanhalley wrote:
That is what both sides did anyway... hack out paths in the jungle as needed if no paths already existed. It also makes for great replay value.

What a good idea. I have a similar rule for cleared fields of fire in bocage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.