fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
So, is America pissed off enough about phony "debates" to make a real change in how they are run?
Or do we continue to let the two-party system fuck us in both ass and mouth?
Because if the American people can't get their dicks out of their hands long enough to demand an alternative for this election featuring the two most disliked candidates in history, then frankly I'm not sure what will.

The Week wrote:
More than half of Americans say Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson should be allowed to participate in the presidential debates, and nearly as many say the same about Green Party candidate Jill Stein. If either is included, they would be the first third-party debate participant since Ross Perot debated George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton in 1992.

Unfortunately for Johnson and Stein supporters, the deadline for their candidates to meet inclusion requirements is just two weeks away, and currently neither one makes the cut. Johnson is closer of the two, with about two-thirds of the 15 percent national support the Commission on Presidential Debates requires for participation. The 15 percent rule has been criticized as too stringent, as it is an all but impossible goal for independent contenders to meet before having the exposure of the debates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Only if Gary is munching on an edible he picked up in Boulder ... and brings enough for the Hill, the Donald, and the moderators. That would be fun to watch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
For the record, I've never smoked weed with Gary Johnson, but I am curious about his type. Like, GJ is a fairly loosey-goosey dude typically when it comes to most interviews, so when he gets high does he get even more spaced-out, or is he the type that actually gets sharper and more focused? Because I can't imagine he's the "AH! NOW I'M PARANOID!" type.

These are the burning questions of our time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Poll: Most Americans want [insert yet someone else] on the presidential debate stage
The 'brain-burner' inquiry is whether they preferred that "their games of theirs" PLAYED as either "Monopoly" or "RISK"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Sure. Why not add a third Democrat?

It always amuses me that we're both annoyed that the crop of political candidates is too homogenous for our liking, but you think they're too liberal and I think they're too conservative.

Or more colloquially: You mean a third Republican!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Ah fer fucks sake.

If Jeb and Bernie were the candidates THEY would be portrayed as the two most hated candidates in history, and Drew would be just as upset over the repub choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way that 52% of voters have any idea who Gary Johnson is. I wonder what the percentage would be if you asked whether the debate should include George Cotswold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ah fer fucks sake.

If Jeb and Bernie were the candidates THEY would be portrayed as the two most hated candidates in history, and Drew would be just as upset over the repub choice.

Only if the data supported that conclusion. Clinton and Trump have the lowest favorability ratings of any presidential candidates in the last 50 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't.

Johnson and Stein are losers and won't be president.

I want to get as much info on the two actually possible presidential candidates as possible.

And I say that as a person who may vote for Johnson (if clinton has no chance of winning Texas come election date).

I don't know about Stein but Johnson has gotten a LOT of face time from friendly media. He's very likable (but I disagree with several of his positions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
There's no way that 52% of voters have any idea who Gary Johnson is. I wonder what the percentage would be if you asked whether the debate should include George Cotswold.

If you want to rephrase the question as "Would you like to hear from anyone but Trump or Hillary in hopes that neither of those two become president," the judges would allow that as an acceptable substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It always amuses me that we're both annoyed that the crop of political candidates is too homogenous for our liking, but you think they're too liberal and I think they're too conservative.

Conservative, liberal. These words don't mean anything now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
dandechino wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Conservative, liberal. These words don't mean anything now.

Incorrect.

Democrat and Republicans are the words that have lost their meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Gary Johnson, but that's because he is a moderate Republican and that's what I like. If he were truly a Libertarian, I wouldn't have any interest in him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would his back serve as a coffee table for the actual speakers at the debate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Ah fer fucks sake.

Only if the data supported that conclusion. Clinton and Trump have the lowest favorability ratings of any presidential candidates in the last 50 years.

Mostly incorrect.

Clinton would be extremely unpopular no matter what. The media needs to make the republican as unlikable in order to level the field. Makes not a shit bit of difference who the republican nominee was, they could have nominated Bernie, and the goal would be to make Hillary look likeable in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Clinton would be extremely unpopular no matter what. The media needs to make the republican as unlikable in order to level the field.

You seem to have an unusually high degree of confidence in the manipulative powers of those liberal journalism grads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Ah fer fucks sake.

Mostly incorrect.

Clinton would be extremely unpopular no matter what. The media needs to make the republican as unlikable in order to level the field. Makes not a shit bit of difference who the republican nominee was, they could have nominated Bernie, and the goal would be to make Hillary look likeable in comparison.

Not sure what you mean by mostly incorrect. I can post the historical numbers if you'd like: Clinton and Trump are both disliked to a degree not seen in at least 50 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Ah fer fucks sake.

Mostly incorrect.

Not sure what you mean by mostly incorrect. I can post the historical numbers if you'd like: Clinton and Trump are both disliked to a degree not seen in at least 50 years.

It doesn't matter if it was Cruz, Bush, Rubio, or Trump. The Media would be in overdrive to make them as despised as Hillary.

No matter who the nominees are. As long as 1 is Hillary, they would be the most despised candidates ever.

Cruz Clinton most despised candidates ever would be the mantra.

Bush Clinton most despised candidates ever would be the mantra.

And it would be true after the media kicked in. Before they were candidates Hillary was despised, Trump was a media darling. Smart businessman, brilliant self promoter, successful tv show, was (I heard the songs on an NPR bit) favorably mentioned in numerous rap songs,

He changes parties and he's suddenly evil?

Makes perfect sense to you. You probably believe in a global warming crisis, too. The mantra doesn't only affect the weak minded, even the normally sensible Drew has bought in.

Hillary is unelectable unless her opponent is disliked more. Enter the media. Not that Trump doesn't make their job somewhat easier. Don't think the media has that kind of power: they made Romney into a racist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Johnson and Stein: hillary's human shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
So, is America pissed off enough about phony "debates" to make a real change in how they are run?
Or do we continue to let the two-party system fuck us in both ass and mouth?
Because if the American people can't get their dicks out of their hands long enough to demand an alternative for this election featuring the two most disliked candidates in history, then frankly I'm not sure what will.

The Week wrote:
More than half of Americans say Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson should be allowed to participate in the presidential debates, and nearly as many say the same about Green Party candidate Jill Stein. If either is included, they would be the first third-party debate participant since Ross Perot debated George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton in 1992.

Unfortunately for Johnson and Stein supporters, the deadline for their candidates to meet inclusion requirements is just two weeks away, and currently neither one makes the cut. Johnson is closer of the two, with about two-thirds of the 15 percent national support the Commission on Presidential Debates requires for participation. The 15 percent rule has been criticized as too stringent, as it is an all but impossible goal for independent contenders to meet before having the exposure of the debates.

The fact that we have two of the most disliked candidates in this election I think answers your own question. That despite the bitching people do, and what they "want", in the end they don't really care enough to work for any kind of meaningful change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Trump
msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:

It doesn't matter if it was Cruz, Bush, Rubio, or Trump. The Media would be in overdrive to make them as despised as Hillary.

I don't know why you have so little faith in me. Those people in media... they're just losers. If anyone is gonna make me look despised, it's gonna be me. I don't need their help, I don't want their help. I've had lots of media calling me telling me they want to help me be despised. I can't tell you how many calls I've gotten. But I told them that I don't need them trying to make their reputation off my name and I can make myself be despised without a bit of their help.

And I'm doing it too. That's the kind of determination and persistence you should want in a president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

If only Gary Johnson had a nursing degree...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Johnson & Stein can go bark at the moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
If only Gary Johnson had a nursing degree...

... he could volunteer to help the wounded in Aleppo, once someone hands him a map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.