Subject: Faction Differences? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone on the edge of getting into this game I would like to know about the faction differences from an experienced player. A high level synopsis of their playstyle and troop types would suffice. I think I'd just like 2 starter sets and see where I go from there to kick things off.

Also, are Gorgons their own faction? They look it when I scroll through a breakdown of store products but they are not presented on the "factions" page where there is an emblem and 1-2 paragraphs on each faction. Additionally how do the beasts (scorpion, etc) plug in to the arena battles? Are they neutral parties that attack both sides?

Info is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can only speak for two of the factions, Morituri and Ludus Magnus.

The Ludus Magnus are your standard faction. They operate predominantly on the manipulation of favor dice. Not only being able to spend three a turn, but also having many benefits around gaining and denying favor.

The Morituri have a special "death ability" which is triggered when the figure is killed. They have tactics and abilities that have the ability to trigger this in other situations. They also have the ability to clear all fatigue in a clear turn, due to one of their Ludi tactics. They are a bit low on favor dice generation, and are as a whole a little weak on defense (but make up for it in other ways).

The Gorgon's ARE their own faction...sort of. The three can be taken together to form the faction, but all three can only be taken together to form the faction (at least I believe that is the case). So they can only be played as a faction in a 6v6 game.

Beasts are varied. Some of them can be taken as mounts, and slot into ludi that way (although without their rider they can still count as wild). They can also be taken as part of a cohort, but again they are wild (can be controlled normally attack the nearest model during a clear turn). There is also a Beast faction, but you need Anum as a trainer to control that. Finally they can be taken as a piece of living scenery that neither player controls.

The rules are available for download (they probably do a better job of explaining than me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Great to get something of substance on this spectacular looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Poteracki
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Here is the quick-pitch I give at cons.

Ludus Magnus
Aesthetic: Traditional Roman gladiators.
Playstyle: Primadonnas that don't really work together. They are good at working the crowd and thus are better at gaining and spending favor.

Legio XIII
Aesthetic: Roman Military and Gauls.
Playstyle: The most defensive and heavily armored faction. They often fight together as they are able to get each other out of harms way.

[u]Morituri/u]
Aesthetic: Ptolemaic Egyptian death cult.
Playstyle: Each gladiator has a death effect, that is, and ability that is triggered with their defeat. These abilities can be triggered at other times (as described above) meaning when you build a cohort you are actually building a type of spell list as well. None of the other factions work that way.

[u]Zephyri/u]
Aesthetic: Vikings and Native Americans.
Playstyle: Berserkers, these warriors are able to take damage in order to make more actions, do more damage, etc. They are the most aggressive faction.

It's also worth noting that the factions are loose. So you can mix and match gladiators from multiple factions. If you have 75% from one faction you'll gain access to their benefits.

The post above did a good job explaining the two sub-factions. There are more factions and sub-factions planned.

Thanks for your interest.

Here are the Ludus Benefit cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just re-read this thread........hm what are the 2 best starting factions to buy? I am thinking Legio XIII and Morituri. For some nice contrast in play styles. Though I might do LXIII and Ludus Magnus just for simplicity as Morituri and Zephyri seem a tad more complex.

Also want to gobble up some of those beast models. Do all of the models come with a rules card (for example does the Leo model come with a card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Each model should come with a character card, giving the abilities of the character. If you look at the Arena Rex store, you will see the card that is included with each model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.