Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand the rules, card tags can trigger in six situations:

* A) a discount when playing a card with a certain tag
* B) condition for playing a card; based on collected tags in the personal display area
* C) a blue card action or event referring to collected tags in the personal display area
* D) during play, when claiming the builder milestone (building tag only)
* E) after the game ends: evaluation of science award (step 2 of scoring; science symbol only)
* F) card evaluation in step 5 of scoring: cards giving VPs based on symbol collection

Tags on blue and green cards are obviously evaluated in all six cases. But what about the red event cards which are turned upside down after playing? Some of them have various symbols as well, not only building/space tags for discounts.

Effect A (mostly building/space) obviously triggers for red cards as well; playing the card comes before event resolution and turning it face down. For case F, I am inclined to think that tags on red cards count again because including them is explicitly mentioned in scoring step 5, although it is not 100% clear, at least in the German rules.

But what about cases B, C, D, and E? Here, the player owns the cards, but they are turned upside down, i.e. all relevant tags are invisible. Do tags count or not? My guess would be no. Can someone please clarify the exact rule situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Event card tags have no further effect after they have been played to your area.

Page 10 of rulebook ...

3) Place the card (see illustration below).

- Events (red cards, C) are collected in a personal pile
face down after being played. Their tags only apply while
being played (for example using the discount on card E when
playing a space event).

- Automated cards (green, A, B) are placed face up in
a stack on the table with only the top row visible. They have
no further effect, but since they represent the current extent
of your operations, their tags still apply.

- Active cards (blue, D, E) have ongoing effects that
may trigger at any time, or actions that you can use (just
like the corporations). Since you need to keep track of these
cards, they are placed with the top panel visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Event card tags have no further effect after they have been played to your area.

Then why do some red cards (= event cards) contain tags other than the two tags allowing you to pay the card cost with metal or titanium, respectively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Bond
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
Then why do some red cards (= event cards) contain tags other than the two tags allowing you to pay the card cost with metal or titanium, respectively?

Some other cards can give you a discount on playing cards that have certain (non-metal) tags on them. I don't have the game in front of me, but for example there is a corporation that gives you a discount on playing any card that has the Earth tag on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All tags on all events can trigger some effect. Building and Space tag let you pay with steel and titanium (however there are no building events). Microbe tag can trigger effects on Decomposers and Viral Enhancers. Science tags can trigger effects on Olympus Conference and Mars University. Earth tags can get a discount from Earth Office and Teractor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.