12 Posts

The Grizzled» Forums » Rules

Subject: What does "assault" mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "*The Whistle represents the beginning of an assault". What is an assault? The rules never mention this again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an assault:

Barrage lifts, whistle at 1:59!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Whistle represents the signal for an attack (assault) to begin. In WWI this usually meant leaving the safety of the trenches to cross No Man's Land to attack the enemy. This was known as "going over the top."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe the whistle signifies the whistles that were blown to begin the charge into battle.

Consider that WWI battles were among the scariest and ugliest in warfare history. WWI was that unfortunate marriage of old war tactics with new industrial killing technology. It was a nasty war! And of course this game captures that feeling of despair, shared by the troops, very well!

The front-line WWI soldier had plenty to be afraid of. A lot of those fears are symbolized in the game:
- Mustard Gas
- Artillery Shells
- Awfully cold weather that would kill people in its own right
- The night, which brought combat terror
- Rain, that would soak you to your bone and sap whatever spirit you might muster
- And... the whistle! That damn whistle!

Remember that a lot of the front-line fighting was done from trenches. The trenches were a relatively safe bastion for the troops to regain their composer, play cards, write letters, catch a nap, ect.

But then there were those times when it was time to run into the battlefield! ... To run into the bullets and mayhem and chaos and watching your buddy next to you get blown to bits.
Those charges were always started by that damn whistle!

And thusly, many WWI vets after the war, experienced PTSD just from hearing a whistle on the street!

Edit: Whoops... I was too busy typing one of my patented long answers while the guys above already answered your question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrEleven wrote:
What is an assault? The rules never mention this again...

This is just an explanation what the game symbol stands for, and why it is considered a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G N
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but this thread made me think of this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually like the Blackadder video a little better. Plus the whistle matches the one from the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it too, but the Paths of Glory clip is one of the best battle scenes ever filmed IMO (and one of the best use of tracking shots too).
And in Blackadder, everyone is clean-shaven....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like The grizzled as it not a game you play to win but metaphor to experience. It is a commentary. We try to play it in silence. We do not ask, plot or connive. We try read each other and muddle through against the odds as we sit and offer each other a shoulder and a cup of coffee. As we mostly likely will metaphorically die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

It's the King's regulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

According to this (I know, the net ), it was a regulation to have a mustache until 1916 and then the requirement was dropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

According to this (I know, the net ), it was a regulation to have a mustache until 1916 and then the requirement was dropped.

But not the requirement to shave. Contrary to the french poilus, who did not need to shave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.