Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From boardgamenews:

Gone Cardboard News: Titan - Announced from Valley Games

At the 2007 GAMA Trade Show, Valley Games announced another highly-desired and long out-of-print Avalon Hill title that will be coming out in a new edition: Titan.

Yes, Titan. The reprinting of Titan, while dreamed about by hundreds if not thousands of gamers, has long been considered an impossibility due to co-designer David Trampier’s lack of interest/conversion to Buddhism/abduction by Wiccans—yet somehow Valley Games is making it happen.

Says Kevin Nesbitt, “Artwork will be by Kurt Miller and is very much an upgrade. The rules will be updated and clarified. It will remain a 2-6 player game, and game play will remain very true to the original. This game will have an MSRP of $69.95—due to a LOT of pieces!—and will be available for preorder this spring along with our other announced titles.” We’ll have more details when the Valley Games folks aren’t hustling around a trade show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! I'm good for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo Hoo! If I am able to get an order in, I will order at least one copy. My original AH edition is still in pretty good shape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I don't see any mention of this on the Valley Games site. Still good news if true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Definitely a game that deserves to be in print again. In fact, I just recommended it the other day in a thread where someone was looking for long games.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the artwork is being redone. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I loved the single color silhouette art of the original art (by co-designer David Trampier), with each tile being hand drawn and subtly different from each other tile. The bold designs were both attractive (to me) and functional. I hope that the new art remains at least somewhat faithful to the original. The Masterboard, on the other hand, could do with enlarging. And don't get me started on the original box cover.

While the rules could use with updating and clarifying, I hope they will not be changed too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree that Trampier's art is great. It doesn't need to be done as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Valley Games feels they have to appeal to a more modern aesthetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I'd be more excited if this was being handled by a company who has published more games than they are promising.

Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere. Personally, the reprints don't interest me as much (I find I burn out on the long playing times). I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle their brand new games (Containers, SuperNova, the unannounced Knizia game) - that will give me a better feel for their brand identity and the direction they intend to take with that line.

One thing is sure, however - They've clearly demonstrated that they're excellent negotiators with a keen eye for which reprints are going to make headline news and turn heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
ok now with this hannibal and successors I am 3 for 3 on acquiring or making a game just before the reprint is announced.

So if you want anything let me know and I will either buy it or make a copy and it will get reprinted.

This is cool however, titan was due. It is a great game and even though I like the old school art on it it could suffer a reprint just fine.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I ... I ... have a hard time believing.

could it really be true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I'd be more excited if this was being handled by a company who has published more games than they are promising.

So far the work from them has been great. I like thier version of Die Macher better than the German one.

Time will tell with hannibal but it seems VG is good at making only the updates a game needs and trying to keep the flavor of the original.

Titan's old school art appeals to me, but I was just imagining what could be done with the game if a FFG made it. How abou mini's for hte legion markers and off board armies similar to MB shogun? Creature's would still have to be tiles so they could be somewhat secret. anyway, I will probably pre order this one even though I have a copy.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
malloc wrote:
ok now with this hannibal and successors I am 3 for 3 on acquiring ot making a game just before the reprint is announced.

So if you want anything let me know and I will either buy it or make a copy and it will get reprinted

Great! Can you please get copies of Black Vienna, Code 777, and oh, maybe Borderlands? And definitely Cosmic Encounter. Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes... I have to agree as well... Die Macher, Hannibal, Republic of Rome, Titan etc... those are some very impressive titles to get reprinted. If nothing else they certainly have shown that they have done the "nearly impossible" by getting access to the rights of these games which many people thought had no more than a snowball's chance in hell of being redone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice that a thread on this news already existed... here is a question I had elsewhere.

chuckimus wrote:
All of the reprint info from Valley games has been news to my ears as I don't readily have access to the older versions of what they have / are releasing.

It seems they are jumping head first into the board gaming hobby and have made quite a splash. Is most of this rush due solely to the fact that they are reprinting good out of print games or are people looking at the prices the secondary market is supporting for the first runs and just figure "it has to be good"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
malloc wrote:
ok now with this hannibal and successors I am 3 for 3 on acquiring or making a game just before the reprint is announced.

So if you want anything let me know and I will either buy it or make a copy and it will get reprinted.

This is cool however, titan was due. It is a great game and even though I like the old school art on it it could suffer a reprint just fine.

-M

I wouldn't mind if you picked up a copy of Full Métal Planète please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
kentreuber wrote:
Hmm. I don't see any mention of this on the Valley Games site. Still good news if true.

It is, one of the owners of VG told me about this and RoR last week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
I absolutely agree that Trampier's art is great. It doesn't need to be done as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Valley Games feels they have to appeal to a more modern aesthetic.

That and the fact that David Trampier retained the rights to the art and is totally uncontactable. No one knows where he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

It is, one of the owners of VG told me about this and RoR last week

Valley Games is also A) at GAMA and B) in the process of updating their website. I would expect to see something "official" from them within a week or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
THEY ARE GODS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I KNEW that it was going to be Titan when they made the vague statement regarding another oldie being reprinted yesterday. Awesome.

...However, I have to express some skepticism as they've announced five high profile reprints and produced only one. I hope this young company isn't biting off more than it can chew with so many things on its plate at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Curtis Anderson wrote:

That and the fact that David Trampier retained the rights to the art and is totally uncontactable. No one knows where he is.

There are updates from the last couple weeks in his wiki entry talking about where he is and what he has been doing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Trampier
and if its in the wikipedia it must be true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The release of some of the old AH games, along with the pulling back of the Dungeon, Dragon and now the Dragonlance licenses, and the killing off of the newer AH games is starting to make me think that WotC is going to get spun off of Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
This game will have an MSRP of $69.95—due to a LOT of pieces!

BattleTitan

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronara Williams
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:

I would ask you to get Dune, but you already have a copy.

Wait...you could always use another copy of Dune, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for a pre-order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.