Subject: Board game concept feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hello everyone

I first off want to say how much this forum as a whole has helped me with my game idea refinement and idea in general.

I am wanting to put this on here to see if a game has been created already or if my idea is truly a new(er) idea.

My game concept combines the ideas of 3-dimensional chess board (my own size choices though), Skylanders/Disney Infinity microchip idea, and mana/energy from Pokemon/Magic The Gathering. I am hoping that in the future, I can add electronics to the board to where you pair a device with it via the app, the app controls a majority of what is done on the field, the board lights up squares of where your characters can move and where their attacks will hit, and you can even play against players from around the world.

Below are just a lot of bullet points that I have made on the game. I hope they give you a good enough idea of what the game is about currently (no electronics right now).

• Type: Strategy
• Electronic 3D game
• Each piece has its own powers
• 3D character attacks (L, R, F, B, U, D, and any combination of the previous 6 directions)
• 3-tier (Basic), 4-tier (Intermediate), 5-tier (Advanced), 6-tier (Expert)
• Monster types: Earth, Fire, Water, Forest, Air (Earth beats Fire, Fire beats Forest, Forest beats Air, Air beats Water, and Water beats Earth)
• Players:
o Basic: 2-4
o Intermediate: 4-8
o Advanced: 8-12
o Expert: 8-16
• Unlimited decks of energy (need to decide if digital cards or physical)

• Turn steps:
1. Remove any buffs that are expiring
2. Draw x cards
3. Cast any characters special you would like to.
4. Roll die & move accordingly
a. Choose a character, choose how many spaces to move, move those spaces. If spaces are left, repeat step till all spaces have been used. If no spaces left to use, continue to the Attack phase.
5. Attack
a. Choose a character, choose a skill, choose a direction (s), and cast skill. If player can afford an additional direction, player chooses this direction for 1 extra energy and casts skill again. Continue till player can’t cast any more skills or chooses to stop.
6. Addition special skills can be cast now.
7. End turn

• AOE attacks reach 4 wide & player chooses up or down as third direction. (across all floors, max 2 floors)
• Ultimate attacks reach 6 wide, up & down (across all floors)
• Basic attacks can only attack one direction. You can use an extra energy for each additional direction.
• Basic attack ranges depend on the skill. Some may be ranged, some may be close range.
• Moving down/up a platform requires two things; having 2 movements & being on an up/down square.
• Up squares can only go up to the next tier. Down squares can only go down to the next tier.
• Attacks:
o Basic
o Support
o AOE
o Ultimate
• 5 characters per player on the board in Basic and Intermediate difficulties. 7 characters per player on the board in Advanced and Expert difficulties.
• When you use a skill, you use up the energy requirement.
• Energy drawn is based on types of monsters the player has on the field. If they only have fire and earth types, then that is the only type of energy you can obtain drawing.

Obviously I know this is a lot, but I appreciate any and all feedback. I will answer anything and everything I can right away.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well my first thought is why is there a physical component? Why not have this as a video game or app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
well my first thought is why is there a physical component? Why not have this as a video game or app?

Honestly, I guess I just like the idea of a physical board. I might be able to move the electronics over to an app later on, but I guess I just liked the idea of having a physical board in front of you and being able to collect the figurines.

Also, one thing that popped in to my mind is I wonder if I am trying to combine too many things in to one right now. I am wanting to start off with just the basic board with no electronics, but maybe that is how I should ultimately keep it...I don't know right now...hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well as far as problems go, having too much potential sounds like a good one.
try this idea on for size:
making the central game board physical
but having players use their phone to make, save, and use in game for a player character card
That would make for a physical board game but may give you all the uniqueness you seem to want for the characters and possibly hold all the finicky stuff on the phone possibly enough for remote play...not sure just kinda spit-balling but it sounds cool in my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
well as far as problems go, having too much potential sounds like a good one.
try this idea on for size:
making the central game board physical
but having players use their phone to make, save, and use in game for a player character card
That would make for a physical board game but may give you all the uniqueness you seem to want for the characters and possibly hold all the finicky stuff on the phone possibly enough for remote play...not sure just kinda spit-balling but it sounds cool in my head

That's not a bad idea about to have them use their phone for the most up to date database of moves and such forth. Would be nice cause then that just means the rulebook will never be out of date, you can search it, etc etc. I like that idea. Thanks mafman6.

Does anyone else have any ideas for enhancements or changes that they would suggest? Or questions regarding confusing stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Seeing as I realize this topic I created is more of a specifics thing and not really a theory topic, I am going to go ahead and make an alternative topic in the other design forum for more specific questions. Thanks again mafman6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.