Subject: Biggest mistake: Not including Excalibur in the base game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been playing Avalon with Excalibur? If not you need to do so. A had played Avalon probably at least 50 times before I even discovered the existence of Excalibur, which is only available as a promo. This is extremely silly given that Excalibur is really just a "rule". You need a card or a token of some sort to represent Excalibur, but that can be anything. You certainly don't need the promo. It is almost unfathomable why it wasn't included in the base game. It is certainly a better addition to the game than Lady Of The Lake (which is cool, but very group dependent). Excalibur is ALWAYS good. After one introductory game, I will always include Excalibur from the second game onwards.

Basically, what Excalibur does is this:

When the captain sets the team he also gives Excalibur to one of the other players on the team. After team is approved and goes on the mission, each player plays their success/fail card infront of them, which the succes/fail card they don't want to play infront of them as well. The player who is in possession of Excalibur can now chose to switch a players succes/fail card BEFORE the card is revealed. The player then gets to see which card he removed from the quest.

So a good player can turn an evil players fail into a succes and bust the evil player. But he can also turn a good players succes into a fail, which is terrible. Even more terrible if he turns an evil players succes into a fail, which means that not only does the mission fail, the evil player still looks like he is good. In other words, good players need to be extremely careful about using Excalibur.

An evil player can play a success himself and turn a good players succes into a fail and then go "sorry dude, I really thought you were evil". This is suspicious behaviour, but I have pulled it off many times. Best thing is if two evil players go on a mission together and both play successes, while using excalibur to turn one of them into a fail. The mission fails and maybe both still look good, if they pull it off convincingly.

But wait there's more. An evil player can now fail the 4th mission alone if he can get a hold of excalibur.

But really, the best thing about Excalibur is that it gives you more options and it makes the game even less predictable. If you go on the last mission as evil you are no longer guaranteed the win. You risk someone playing Excalibur on you. You may even play a success if you believe that Excalibur will indeed be played on you.

Playing a succes as evil, correctly anticipating someone playing excalibur on you is awesome. Even more awesome is actually busting an evil player with Excalibur.

Anyway, trust me on this. Just play with Excalibur. If I wasn't clear about the rules they are downloadable on the net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're evil and choose to fail a mission, then have Excalibur played on you so that the mission succeeds, aren't you pretty much revealed and screwed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
xCal is one of my fav things in Avalon for sure. Makes the Lances so much better too, but it makes everything awesome regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
If you're evil and choose to fail a mission, then have Excalibur played on you so that the mission succeeds, aren't you pretty much revealed and screwed?

Yes. But you then you need to think about how the good player dared to play it on you. Is he Merlin? Did someone tell him to play it on you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Yes. But you then you need to think about how the good player dared to play it on you. Is he Merlin? Did someone tell him to play it on you?

Seems more likely than not that it'd be random early in the game.

Not to deny that I can see how it adds a new dimension to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Seems more likely than not that it'd be random early in the game.

Not to deny that I can see how it adds a new dimension to this game.

It's usually not used early in the game.

But it can be epic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
...Excalibur is really just a "rule". You need a card or a token of some sort to represent Excalibur, but that can be anything. You certainly don't need the promo

I don't mind not having Excalibur. My non-gamer group haven't even used any other roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our club players rarely choose to play with Excalibur and, even when they do, no-one ever seems to use it. No-one has ever actually used it at all in a game when I've been playing - though the threat of its use has clearly affected the outcome of the game.

I dare say the relatively few games that it's been in play means that we don't have a balanced view of how it can change the game, but the general reaction to Excalibur remains rather ho-hum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.