Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully not, cause you won't find it here:

Well, you might not find it in the update from OSS/Ares, but you'll certainly find it below from Phil.

Quote:
From the print bureau/manufacturing from August 26 :
"The production team is working on creating [updated box dimensions], but are running into a few issues. The main issue is that the contract they have on hand (the one from October) no longer appears to be correct with the components uploaded.

Sorry for the inconvenience of the delays, and we are nearing the end of the prepress checks, i promise you."

Our project manager has sent 3 replies in the interim and as of now there has been no update. This is not what I was hoping to share at this point, but unhappily it's where the process stands.

We are still waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson W.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the update. I have a preorder with CSI after I missed out on the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a disaster. I find it most concerning that they are making these updates backers only, which is to limit circulation, I assume. But they have also taken non-Kickstarter pre-orders, and those people will be in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I kissed my pledge goodbye months ago. I suggest you all do the same. These updates are nothing more than stall tactics to try and cover money that has doubtless been swindled away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
'News' is better than 'no news' so I won't throw stones.

Never invest what you can't afford to lose is in every prospective. Though the other common quote: "Past performance is not indicitive of future value" actually sounds hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilFromIT wrote:
I kissed my pledge goodbye months ago. I suggest you all do the same. These updates are nothing more than stall tactics to try and cover money that has doubtless been swindled away.

I'm genuinely curious - what do you think is the scenario here? That OSS simply took the money, never started production on High Frontier, and is just releasing periodic purely fictitious updates because... why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming incompetence rather than malice. (I find it a good principle in life in general.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilFromIT wrote:
I kissed my pledge goodbye months ago. I suggest you all do the same.

Oh come on... a little melodramatic, don'tchathink? Yes, it's disappointing it's delayed a bit more... but, there is zero chance that Phil doesn't deliver at all and our pledges are just lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Oh come on... a little melodramatic, don'tchathink? Yes, it's disappointing it's delayed a bit more... but, there is zero chance that Phil doesn't deliver at all and our pledges are just lost.
My mental model gives the highest-probability outcome as "sorry, guys, we don't have enough money left to do this, boo hoo, buy our other games". That's what other KS projects with this kind of excuse pattern tend to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
PhilFromIT wrote:
I kissed my pledge goodbye months ago. I suggest you all do the same.

Phil's company is Sierra Madre Games. They are not publishing High Frontier 3rd ed.--Ares/OSS is. So while your faith and trust in Phil Eklund may be well deserved, it has nothing to do with the third edition of High Frontier unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Burnley
United States
Belton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
I'm assuming incompetence rather than malice. (I find it a good principle in life in general.)

Hanlon's Razor, if you ever want some dude's name to attach to that cognitive method. I find it difficult to default to (my impulse is to feel slighted whenever something goes awry blush), and I don't know how well it maps to reality, but it certainly improves one's ability to interact/negotiate with those responsible for the malice/incompetence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I'm still certain that I will eventually get my copy of this game. I'm not sure when... but I'm in my early 40s, so, absent any unforeseen events, I think I'll live to see it. I mean, so far, I've backed a number of projects, some with delays, and I've only had one not make it (and I honestly wasn't surprised on that one).

Still, on the off chance that anyone actually involved in the project is reading this, despite the numerous delays, lack of photos of anything, etc., etc., etc., all of which are really inexcusable. I do still expect to get this someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the game will be printed someday, although their updates seem to be intentionally twiddling their thumbs. Most of those "major" issues seem to be something that could have been solved with a few e-mails over the course of a day.

That being said, if I ever hear the term print bureau again it'll be too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the things that pop up in the high frontier updates remind me of what used to pop up int the Total War = Total Wait thread in the wargamers section of bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Åkerblom
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have written with Phil and he is as much in the dark as all of us. He personally cannot give more then his hopes that the game will be published. I am pretty sure Ares have been tricked by the Chinese printing company and all the money is lost. Our chance is that Ares switches printing company and covers all the expenses for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Somebody
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
What does this mean for High Frontier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awdougherty wrote:
Sometimes the things that pop up in the high frontier updates remind me of what used to pop up int the Total War = Total Wait thread in the wargamers section of bgg.

Must be something with the porosity of the minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Firedrake wrote:

Indeed. Delivery is next year at this point, plausibly mid-next year. There's been a stream of possible delivery dates and "nearly there" statements, starting with Essen of last year. Now, if they've missed their printer slot, they'll need to schedule a new one, ship the result, maybe (re)pack it, and distribute it. Insert a few more problems based on past performance. All that takes time.

And Phil has nothing to do with it and is powerless. Don't hassle the man.

In the interim, you can jury-rig your own copy from available components. The rules are there as are most of the parts. Probably cheaper too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
Our chance is that Ares switches printing company and covers all the expenses for that.

I doubt it. Ares is small company... Very small. You believe that they have almost 200k$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the High Frontier cards available for download somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
I am pretty sure Ares have been tricked by the Chinese printing company and all the money is lost. Our chance is that Ares switches printing company and covers all the expenses for that.

If Ares paid before getting any sort of final production quality product, they're idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
I have written with Phil and he is as much in the dark as all of us. He personally cannot give more then his hopes that the game will be published. I am pretty sure Ares have been tricked by the Chinese printing company and all the money is lost. Our chance is that Ares switches printing company and covers all the expenses for that.

High Frontier 3rd edition is my most expansive game, and one I believe will assume an important role in educating the next generation on the accessibility of space. I personally promise if it is not published by OSS/Ares by Oct 2017 (one year and one month from now), I will publish it myself.

I sent all HF3 files to OSS except for the rules illustrations, and I should be able to get those done in a couple of weeks. I have received as royalties 10% of Kickstarter funds, and because I've had a good year I should be able to afford all the fancy plastic parts. I will also make good on all Kickstarter promises (except of course the ones concerning delivery dates). I expect to put the game up for preorder on my website in October, hopefully purchased from OSS but if necessary published myself.

I heard a rumor that OSS is going to Panda Games to produce HF3. If so, I can vouch for them as they have produced most of my games and have never failed me. I know the owners (the Lee brothers) and the chances they have tricked Ares out of their money is zero.

My reputation is everything to me. Without it, I can no longer make games, and making games is both my profession and my life. Therefore, I am giving Ares/OSS one more year to produce, then I will publish on my own in a timely fashion regardless how much of a loss I will take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Bracca wrote:

High Frontier 3rd edition is my most expansive game, and one I believe will assume an important role in educating the next generation on the accessibility of space. I personally promise if it is not published by OSS/Ares by Oct 2017 (one year and one month from now), I will publish it myself.

I sent all HF3 files to OSS except for the rules illustrations, and I should be able to get those done in a couple of weeks. I have received as royalties 10% of Kickstarter funds, and because I've had a good year I should be able to afford all the fancy plastic parts. I will also make good on all Kickstarter promises (except of course the ones concerning delivery dates). I expect to put the game up for preorder on my website in October, hopefully purchased from OSS but if necessary published myself.

I heard a rumor that OSS is going to Panda Games to produce HF3. If so, I can vouch for them as they have produced most of my games and have never failed me. I know the owners (the Lee brothers) and the chances they have tricked Ares out of their money is zero.

My reputation is everything to me. Without it, I can no longer make games, and making games is both my profession and my life. Therefore, I am giving Ares/OSS one more year to produce, then I will publish on my own in a timely fashion regardless how much of a loss I will take.

What an awesome, heartwarming post, Phil. Thanks for making this hobby a better place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
That is a very large gesture of you, Phil. Thank you but let's hope it won't come to that! If it should I would gladly pay something for my game to minimise your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Bracca wrote:

I take my hat off to you, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.