Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
josh werrmann
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been out of the board games loop for a while. Just noticed that a second version of this came out and the price was like $89 on CSI. I remember the 1st version being something like $55. Is there something intense in this box, or did the board game market meet with rapid inflation over the last few months?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626472/mansions-madness-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying for the app development. But there are deals to be had:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631331/bn-mansions-madness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
Barnes and noble has it for $65 after tax with free shipping of you use this promo code before the 5th "LMQCJGX26KQFK"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

When I see the prioes for games in the US, I could cry. $65 is about £49 here in the UK; the best pricce I can see here at the moment is £71.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

When I see the prioes for games in the US, I could cry. $65 is about £49 here in the UK; the best pricce I can see here at the moment is £71.

Well, I paid $85, so I'm close to crying. Then again, £71 is nuts. That's like $94.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

Well, I paid $85, so I'm close to crying. Then again, £71 is nuts. That's like $94.

For those folks that don't realise there are better deals online, if they shop at Amazon UK it is listed for £86.32.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

The price is $115.95 + tax + shipping in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

or 92.95 + tax if you go to your FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
grahamj wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

Assuming that's Canadian currency, that's 88.54 USD, which is only slightly more than what most people are paying here. In terms of USDs, folks in the UK are paying more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

For those folks that don't realise there are better deals online, if they shop at Amazon UK it is listed for £86.32.

Ha ha ha

The joys of living on an island between the mainland Europe and the US. Worst of both worlds.

Thanks Esdevium...

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
grahamj wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

$125 at my local game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
grahamj wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

That's £67 so still much cheaper than most places in the UK and about on r with the regular US price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
grahamj wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
shake

$125 at my local game store.

I might be spoiled in the GTA then... Meeplemart, 401 games, and boardgamebliss... I purchased at $92.95 in store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
ianoble wrote:
Paying for the app development.

I wish people would stop saying this. You don't have any evidence that this had anything to do with the pricing.

The fact is FFG's prices have been rising steeply for the last 18 months.

What about the $50 a piece they're retailing the expansion boxes for? Can that be attributed to 'app development'? What can it be attributed to in fact when it is 100% reprint material, requiring no development at all?

I'm not knocking FFG. The fact is they will charge what the market will allow them to charge, as will any other company... but I wish people would stop offering up all this supposition dressed up as actual information and I wish that they wouldn't persist with this notion of FFG, or any board game publisher, as some sort of altruistic enterprise making the minimum possible operating profit. It's ridiculous.

They're retailing the game at this price because they can and because their business is to make as big a profit selling quality board games as they can... even more so now they have a parent company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I purchased off Amazon for $77 the day of sale following it's release. Plus tax, equaled $83. That was a fair price compared to $100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
The fact is FFG's prices have been rising steeply for the last 18 months.

Not really? Descent, Imperial Assault, X-Wing, Armada, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign and other frequently expanded lines have all stuck close to their established price structure. New Angeles will be $60. The new Runebound is $60. DOOM will be $80. This is all within the same range FFG's been releasing titles in for several years now. The base set for Imperial Assault is $100 (that's licensing fees for you, paid up front), but the expansions cost the same as Descent expansions.

Some of the component-heavy and/or licensed games of the last couple years have been $100, yeah. There's, what, five of those besides SWIA? MoM 2, Rebellion, Runewars Minis, Armada base set and Forbidden Stars? Did I miss any?

ianoble wrote:

Anyway, the evidence that the app contributed to the MSRP is the app itself. App development is EXPENSIVE. It's not at all an unreasonable assumption that the app is contributing to the price. (Why, by comparison, is the Descent app initially free? Because the game is already established and has a big user base to draw upon—it seems to have increased interest in the continuing line a lot, whereas MoM2 is rebooting it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piccadilly wrote:
Barnes and noble has it for $65 after tax with free shipping of you use this promo code before the 5th "LMQCJGX26KQFK"

Thanks, I jumped on that deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bargain!

I got this for €95,- Which is equal to $106.-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Phil Andiel
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
got mine for €83 (~92USD)

As an app dev I have to agree with
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apps are not cheap especially if you want decent quality, on the otherhand I feel that boardgames (and especially FFG games) get pricier every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine from GamesLore, here in the UK for £75 (that's $100 US, or €118).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
ianoble wrote:

I wish people would stop saying this. You don't have any evidence that this had anything to do with the pricing.

It costs money to make the app, the app is a game component and the development will have been expensive. That's all people are saying. It will impact on the price, same way that printing the cards will.

Quote:
What about the $50 a piece they're retailing the expansion boxes for? Can that be attributed to 'app development'? What can it be attributed to in fact when it is 100% reprint material, requiring no development at all?

No it can be attributed to the huge amount of plastic minis in the boxes. Indeed, I'll go as far to say that FFG have never sold a box with as many minis in for as low a price as these ones, at least since Descent 1E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird thing though is that the two expansions will come with all the mini's and tiles of the Base 1st edition and the other with everything from the two big expansions, and both have a MRSP of 50 dollars.

Or do they have less mini's per monster kind of like the switch between 1st and 2nd edition in Descent?

And yea, I think board games in general have become more expensive in the past 5 years or so (not just FFG), but maybe FFG has had a price jump since the Asmodee deal?

The price for new games (even on webshops) is about 50% higher then when I started out buying games, about 5-6 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
GO NAVY BEAT ARMY
badge
CABRAWLIST AND PROUD
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes and Noble just sent out a 40% off any one item, making MOM 2nd 65.00 or so dollars with free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
No it can be attributed to the huge amount of plastic minis in the boxes. Indeed, I'll go as far to say that FFG have never sold a box with as many minis in for as low a price as these ones, at least since Descent 1E.

Interesting point in respect of the minis. Compared to similar big box games - such as Descent 2E, Star Wars Imperial Assault - the minis in Mansions of Madness 2E were, (imo), distinctly underwhelming.

Just how many minis will be in each box of the two MoM 2E expansions and are they just the MoM 1E minis or are they new models? How many map tiles for that matter?

These two expansions are on pre-order now for c£38 each. If I bite, that will be £147 I will have paid. I am not saying that does not represnt value for money in a gaming sense, but when you put the base game and the two expansions together, its still a fair wad of cash. To date, including the expansions, we will have 6 scenarios. That in itself does limit the game's replayability to some degree (compared to other games in the Cthulu line, such as AH and EH base games), though it is my bet that further scenarios will surface.

I think the above just reflects a price hike for games in general, and that there may come a point when many gamers will look at such games and start to draw the line in terms of perceived value for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.