Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does negates+1 or negates-1 during an attack or horror test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have a +1 you get to add a die to the check. A -1 reduces the dice you roll by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
When you have a +1 you get to add a die to the check. A -1 reduces the dice you roll by 1.

Whoops, I was adding +1 to the value I got on the role, not the number of die. Roll 3 with one die, becomes a 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheShib wrote:
Whoops, I was adding +1 to the value I got on the role, not the number of die. Roll 3 with one die, becomes a 4.

Are you sure you're discussing the same game? The dice in 2nd Edition are symbolic and don't have values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
TheShib wrote:

Are you sure you're discussing the same game? The dice in 2nd Edition are symbolic and don't have values.

I think he was adding or subtracting from the final result after rolling the dice, instead of adding or subtracting dice to roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
I think he was adding or subtracting from the final result after rolling the dice, instead of adding or subtracting dice to roll.

If that was the case, how do you roll 3 with a single die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Maybe that was just an example, though it could just have said "one die instead of two with a -1 modifier, or 3 dice instead of two with a +1 modifier"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

I was playing it as rolling my dice pool and adding or subtracting a success. Rolling 3 dice and getting 2 success would get me 3 success with the +1 or 1 success with the -1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheShib wrote:
I was playing it as rolling my dice pool and adding or subtracting a success. Rolling 3 dice and getting 2 success would get me 3 success with the +1 or 1 success with the -1.

Thanks. The 'one die' bit was the misleading part, then. It made it sound like you were somehow comparing skill numbers to the roll of a die, which doesn't happen in MoM 2nd Ed.

That is sort of how the +1 and -1 on tests in 1st Ed. worked (modifying the Skill value, not the die value), so there was a possibility you were just in the wrong forum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there is an error in the rulebook. On page 11 of the LTP guide, Agatha has a strength of 2, which means she would roll 2 dice. However, the negation says strength+1, which would be 3 dice. In the example, only 2 dice are rolled. Really confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Yes. I believe this is due to a play-test version of the character in the image and a final in the text, or vice-versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
Then there is an error in the rulebook. On page 11 of the LTP guide, Agatha has a strength of 2, which means she would roll 2 dice. However, the negation says strength+1, which would be 3 dice. In the example, only 2 dice are rolled. Really confused.

Don't trust the images in the Learn to Play Guide. They didn't always find images that matched the text. That's not the only error in that image either. The image shows a test for "2 Damage(Strength +1 negates)" while the text describes this test: "2 facedown Damage(Strength negates)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord. Appears I'm reading Star Wars Rebellion Learn to Play Guide Part 2. How can a company with such great games fail so miserably in rulebook publication?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick other question. What does (skill;1) or (skil;2) mean? I suppose the number of successes you have to roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
Quick other question. What does (skill;1) or (skil;2) mean? I suppose the number of successes you have to roll?

Yes.

RRG - Test wrote:
• A test declaration may include a number separated from the
skill icon by a semicolon. This is the test difficulty. The test
difficulty indicates the test result required to pass the test. If
the test result is less than the test difficulty, the investigator
fails the test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thx Jorgen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.