United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

As reported on Boardgame news;
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

At the 2007 GAMA Trade Show, Valley Games announced another highly-desired and long out-of-print Avalon Hill title that will be coming out in a new edition: Titan.

Yes, Titan. The reprinting of Titan, while dreamed about by hundreds if not thousands of gamers, has long been considered an impossibility due to co-designer David Trampier’s lack of interest/conversion to Buddhism/abduction by Wiccans—yet somehow Valley Games is making it happen.

Says Kevin Nesbitt, “Artwork will be by Kurt Miller and is very much an upgrade. The rules will be updated and clarified. It will remain a 2-6 player game, and game play will remain very true to the original. This game will have an MSRP of $69.95—due to a LOT of pieces!—and will be available for preorder this spring along with our other announced titles.” We’ll have more details when the Valley Games folks aren’t hustling around a trade show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the reprint info from Valley games has been news to my ears as I don't readily have access to the older versions of what they have / are releasing.

It seems they are jumping head first into the board gaming hobby and have made quite a splash. Is most of this rush due solely to the fact that they are reprinting good out of print games or are people looking at the prices the secondary market is supporting and just figure "it has to be good"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a copy went for $255 on ebay about two years ago.

I ran the game two years ago at the Egyptian Campaign convention in Carbondale. Little did I know that the co-designer might have been lurking in the distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Trampier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Yup, very exciting! But there is already one thread on this--let's keep the discussion in one place.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/163134

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice...maybe this will increase turnout at the Titan National Tournament next year

I wonder if there's any thought being put into redesigning the way units are represented on the board. As much as I enjoy the visual effect of a 7-high "beatdown stack", there must be a system that won't be as prone to disaster if a wayward die scoots across the table. Pre-painted minis on the board with stacks of cards in front of each player would probably cause a riot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are Vally Games, I wonder? What is the story behind the company and how did they manage to land re-print rights for some of the most sought after titles?

Is it just perseverance? Wading through layers and layers of Hasbro management until they found the right department/people? If Vally Games found a way to re-print these games, it begs the question why hasn't some other company done the same thing? Or is it just a case of everyone else talked about doing reprints, but Valley Games went ahead and did it?

Valley Games is certainly making a big splash with their recent announcements. I think it's great that we're going to see the likes of Hannibal, Republic of Rome and Titan reprinted.

But there is a tiny voice in my head saying "this is too good to be true..." I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Who are Vally Games, I wonder? What is the story behind the company and how did they manage to land re-print rights for some of the most sought after titles?

I think a company simply has to be willing to play Hasbro about $10,000 for the reprint rights. I suppose if they were to make $10 off each game that they could break even at 1000. Although the ebay prices are ridiculous, I think it would be difficult to determine how many copies of a game like this might sell since they say a country like Germany doesn't typically produce a lot of games with fantasy themes or dice-rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:

Is it just perseverance? Wading through layers and layers of Hasbro management until they found the right department/people? If Vally Games found a way to re-print these games, it begs the question why hasn't some other company done the same thing? Or is it just a case of everyone else talked about doing reprints, but Valley Games went ahead and did it?

Valley Games is certainly making a big splash with their recent announcements. I think it's great that we're going to see the likes of Hannibal, Republic of Rome and Titan reprinted.

But there is a tiny voice in my head saying "this is too good to be true..." I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop!

You mean like a corporate class-action lawsuit against Valley Games for copyright infringement?

Yeah, I see that coming, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Bagherra wrote:
kimbo wrote:

You mean like a corporate class-action lawsuit against Valley Games for copyright infringement?

What it takes is hard work, and the desire to make it happen. These guys are both gamers, and they see the value in the old games. They have both realised that it takes some effort to track down who owns the licenses and contact them.

If you look at the announcement for RoR, you will see that they are working with the designers of the games to make it better, how can that be a bad thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasbro never had the Titan rights. Most of the rights for the games that were out of print at the time of the Hasbro deal had long reverted to the games designers by the cash starved Avalon Hill -- or so I read on rgb years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
kimbo wrote:

I'd be absolutely shocked if these guys hadn't crossed all the t's and dotted all of the i's regarding copyrights and licenses. I don't see lawsuits as much of a possibility here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions, kimbo.

They haven't updated their website in over 2 months, and no info about this Titan release. It sounds like they got designer buy-off on Die Macher and Hannibal - how could they get that for Titan?

I'd love to see another rendition of Titan, just in case it could be improved (components if nothing else) and their artist certainly looks talented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I am guessing they got the rights to the game not the art, so that is why the are redesigning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ouch! More money out of my wallet.

Hannibal I'll play, but I don't know if I'd ever get to Titan.
When do I ever have 24+ hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennG wrote:

Titan takes about 3-4 hours, if I remember correctly. The more players, the longer it takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest fear with Titan is not taking a long time, but the fact that it can take a long time for some players and no time at all for others.

That was a lot more of a concern years ago when people typically owned fewer (and longer) games...these days, eliminated players are likely to have a stable of short, quality games on hand with which to occupy themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley Games is doing a great job and producing this stuff. Gamers everywhere continue to drool at what they'll do next. I just hope they aren't trying to produce too many games at once. Supposedly Big City is still under their banner and I haven't heard much about that lately. If they get all these games released, lots of happy folks all around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
GlennG wrote:

Titan takes about 3-4 hours, if I remember correctly. The more players, the longer it takes.

The back of the box said 2-12 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
cull wrote:
GlennG wrote:

The back of the box said 2-12 hours.

Playing time varies a lot (obviously the biggest obstacle to getting it played with any frequency), but from my limited experience I'd say that one to one and a half hours per player will normally provide a good estimate.

Though a two-player game with experienced players can sometimes be quite short, I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was Valley Games able to contact Trampier? Could there be hope for Wormy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, am glad that you posted this in a new thread. I missed this information the first time around. While it is good to keep this kind of info "in one thread" so that it is organized, it also denies it to everyone who might have overlooked it the first time around. Multiple threads = good. So... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, hope they find a way to shorten it! Hope they also include the variant terrain cards from The General, that helped give the game replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cloutier
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
Pre-orders available from Valley Games. As of this posting they were at 458 of the 750 they want to reprint.

Save 30% of retail by pre-ordering. Effective cost of $48.97 per game

link: http://www.valleygames.ca/750.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wow shipping to Toronto, Ontario Canada is only about $3. What a pleasant surprise too often I find I get shafted by high SH costs just for living a few miles north of the US.

Any idea of when the game will be available?

Not too keen on preordering if it has no release date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frankcastle1975 wrote:
Wow shipping to Toronto, Ontario Canada is only about $3. What a pleasant surprise too often I find I get shafted by high SH costs just for living a few miles north of the US.

Any idea of when the game will be available?

Not too keen on preordering if it has no release date.

That's because Valley games is in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.