10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts» Forums » General

Subject: Keldon AI Imperium Supply Convoy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend claims that Imperium Supply Convoy works improperly in the Keldon AI.

It appears that the program fails to recognize temporary military bonuses like those granted by New Military Tactics and Imperium Stealth Tactics as "Excess" military.

As a result he was unable to settle his desired second military world.

Can anyone verify this situation? I am unfamiliar with debugging the Keldon program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakusotsu wrote:
My friend claims that Imperium Supply Convoy works improperly in the Keldon AI.

It appears that the program fails to recognize temporary military bonuses like those granted by New Military Tactics and Imperium Stealth Tactics as "Excess" military.

As a result he was unable to settle his desired second military world.

Can anyone verify this situation? I am unfamiliar with debugging the Keldon program.

Do you have any of the following available? Would help us to actually confirm it as issue or non-issue:
--screenshot
--game log
--save file
--describe the specific situation

Otherwise, IIRC, it works correctly. It's been perhaps a year since I played it (I went back to the full arc #1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been quite a while since I've played that version as well, but don't recall any times it didn't work properly.

It might be a case of having to use temporary military while settling the first world to generate the excess needed for the 2nd world.

I don't remember doing things that way (don't remember not either). Just throwing it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A save file is the best thing for debugging. It is particularly handy if you save it at the point where the bug occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never noticed a problem, and I play AA a lot. Which isn't to say there isn't an issue, but it may be an interaction between two cards thing.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be possible to replicate (if it is a problem) using the campaign.txt to give the player Imperium Supply Convoy, New Military Tactics and a couple of military worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've tested it using the debug cards menu, it works as expected. Don't forget that you can only use excess military. If your military is +1 and you use new military tactics to bring it to +4 to settle a +2 world, then you can use Imperium Supply Convoy to settle a second +2 world, but not a +4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, my friend will document when/if this occurs again. Nice to know it's working correctly so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
It seems to work properly. What often breaks for me (the program crashes!) is the Terraforming Project.

I know what may be causing the confusion! There's a little known rule that you cannot use a card's power in the same phase that it was placed. I had a situation like this pop up today when I played 5 player game with 2 newbies.

Frontier Capital (+1 mil.), New Military Tactics (+3 mil. temporary), Alien Tech Institute (+2 mil. against aliens), plus Imperium Supply Convoy. He played Lost Alien Warship (5 military, +2 military bonus) and wanted to immediately place Alien Robot Scout Ship (4 military windfall). Before the warship, his power added up to 6.

If the warship worked in the same phase, placing the scout ship afterwards would be a legal move, because he could use the +2 from the "world" he just placed. RftG rules don't allow that. It would be a different story if it was a 2 player Advanced game and someone played 2x Settle. Then he could place up to 2 worlds in the first settle, NOT using the +2 bonus, then he would be allowed to use the +2 bonus in the second Settle. They're two phases. But in non-advanced games, only one Settle phase per round is possible.

In the end the newbie still performed a nice move, deploying the scout ship and Alien Robotic Sentry, earning 8VP that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Oops, there may be a BUG with Keldon AI Imperium Supply Convoy, but a different one.

When you get Imperium Supply Convoy and Galactic Imperium, Galactic Imperium gives you +4 military strength against rebels. It seems like you get a separate +4 bonus against each rebel world (it works like a discount). So if your tableau has Galactic Imperium and Imperium Supply Convoy, and Rebel Homeworld (7) and Rebel Base (6), each of these world has its military cost reduced by 4. Homeworld becomes 7 - 4 = 3, Base 6 - 4 = 2. So you only need 2 + 3 = 5 ordinary military + Galactic Imperium + Imperium Supply Convoy and you can settle both fat worlds in a single turn! This is inconsistent with how normal military works.

Other ways to use it:
Alpha Centauri + Imperium Supply Convoy, and you get +1 military against BOTH rare worlds. So Rebel Miners and Imperium Blaster Gem Depot each have 1 substracted from their cost. Not too spectacular because there aren't many brown military worlds.

Alien Uplift Chamber + Imperium Supply Convoy: you can always place 2 green uplifts in a turn with no extra military. With 1 plain military you can settle a green uplift and Rebel Warrior Race. With 3 plain military you can settle Rebel Warrior Race (3) + Malignant Lifeforms (4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.