Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a redundant question, but nothing has confused me more than trying to stay up to date with rules and maps for this game without going past the edition I own. To top it off I haven't played in a few years so its hard sifting through all of the living rules docs floating around out there.

So my questions are:

1. What is the most recent and complete 2nd editions set of rules for someone without the Colonization expansion? Is it the one in the BGG section dated 2014-03-31 or is there a newer one?

Edit: So I just took a read of the 2014-3-31 and it seems like he merged the base expansion (which I have) into Colonization (which I don't have)? This is what I mean, the lines between editions/expansions is so blurry I'm not even sure the creator can tell them apart.

2. Is there somewhere I can download the most recent poster sized map that doesn't include all of the 3rd edition changes? I'd like to compare it to my poster map before deciding if its worth getting a new one, but I can't really see what Zazzle has because they make sure to not show it in high def.

2b. Bonus follow up to #2, but if anyone has a historical set of images of all the board changes so I can compare them all, that'd be something I'd like to have. I've found at least two maps that are different than my own floating around the web that I downloaded but as per my original question, I have no idea what the newest one is.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the most authoritative legacy/pre-Colonization rule set, I think you want the files labeled "Living Rules, December 13, 2011", which are here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73901/high-frontier-livin...

That said, there are two concepts that can be back-ported from Colonization into the legacy game which I think improve it.

First, the removal of the "one black card in hand or in space per factory" rule. Instead, allow any card in hand to be ET produced at a factory with the correct letter. This gets more of the black products into play, which makes it more fun in my mind.

Second, the Colonization version of the sunspot cycle. Print out the Colonization rulebook back cover:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94995/hf-colonization-end...

and switch to the Colonization sunspot cycle track, where the marker starts on the start space and advances one space after each complete set of player turns; "triangle burns" now aren't anything special, and an event is automatically triggered when the marker passes an "event" line on the track. This prevents players deliberately triggering/not triggering events with fiddly choices of how they move their ships, and prevents the sunspot marker getting stuck in certain zones, or moving very quickly through certain zones, because of player actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your second question, I think the answer, sadly, is "no". Some years ago I asked Phil to create a stable version of the poster map, but he rejected the idea. Nor has he provided access to previous versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you could use the latest living rules for colonization and just skip the colonization-specific modules. It was designed to be modular anyway, so all of the rules for each different module were mostly kept separate in their own rules section, making them easy to skip. The 3rd edition rules would be a little bit harder because you'd be missing the lander spaces on the map and the redesigned fuel chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SkywalterDBZ wrote:
Sorry if this is a redundant question, but nothing has confused me more than trying to stay up to date with rules and maps for this game without going past the edition I own. To top it off I haven't played in a few years so its hard sifting through all of the living rules docs floating around out there.

So my questions are:

1. What is the most recent and complete 2nd editions set of rules for someone without the Colonization expansion? Is it the one in the BGG section dated 2014-03-31 or is there a newer one?

Edit: So I just took a read of the 2014-3-31 and it seems like he merged the base expansion (which I have) into Colonization (which I don't have)? This is what I mean, the lines between editions/expansions is so blurry I'm not even sure the creator can tell them apart.

2. Is there somewhere I can download the most recent poster sized map that doesn't include all of the 3rd edition changes? I'd like to compare it to my poster map before deciding if its worth getting a new one, but I can't really see what Zazzle has because they make sure to not show it in high def.

2b. Bonus follow up to #2, but if anyone has a historical set of images of all the board changes so I can compare them all, that'd be something I'd like to have. I've found at least two maps that are different than my own floating around the web that I downloaded but as per my original question, I have no idea what the newest one is.

Thanks in advance.

The latest 2nd edition rules for the basic game (without Colonization, which is in the next module) are in the googledoc living rules here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pW4M9F93nrQKyQQtZyE3gYzc...

These rules are modularized. So you can pick and choose which modules you like.

The latest maps are available on Zazzle, for both the 2nd and 3rd editions. The maps have a version date in the lower left corner. This is because I update them aperiodically to incorporate the latest space discoveries, and for game reasons. It's possible some older maps do not contain a date, sorry about that.

I don't maintain a list of map changes except for the differences between the 2nd and upcoming 3rd editions. Which I can provide the link for, if you are interested. I hope this answers your questions, Walter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying Phil. It's appreciated.

You seem to have linked the Colonization document as opposed to the non-Colonization document but since it appears to be a section of the one here in the files section I guess I'll go ahead and download that, so we're good there.

As for the maps, sure I'd like the link for the 3rd edition changes so I can take a look at what that edition looks like. Since I came here in hopes to update my 2nd edition, maybe 3rd is exactly what I was looking for. All I knew when I posted is that when I went to check out Zazzle and compare it to my map, the preview picture was too small and I was worried that it might have rules or icons on it that didn't apply to what I had, but yet after squinting at it for a while I knew it was definitely different than mine based on the fact that I can clearly see a second site on/near Mercury and a pile of burns on the path inside the rabbithole, which mine definitely doesn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, sorry about the wrong link, I am not so good on the iPhone. Here is the link for HF2 Basic Game living rules https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ky6hex8bCp0828RPqySmjtdO.... And change list for HF3 including map changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iusKNU_rMX96FWQ5K18nOAaZ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.