Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathias Cramer and Stefan Malz... wow. Some of my favourite midweight eurogame designes togheter. It's like a Dream Team and no way I can pass over a game made by them... unless it's a game about making dresses! shake

Probably this thread is going to have that "get over it" responses, but the truth is that the game could have been more successfull with another theme. I know there will be hard to see a new edition with a new theme in such a short time, but you know, some times it happens, like recently has been the case of The Speicherstadt/Jórvík. Of course they could go with an original theme, but at least something more universally appealing. What would you choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud the designers and publisher for choosing an atypical theme.

I won't tell you to "get over it" but I will say that another theme would not have been more successful with me. I'd like to see more and more atypical theme application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about your copy, but in mine you also tailor fancy dress coats.

On a more serious note, I have no problem with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
At the turn of the 18th century the elder gods stirred. One discredited researcher found an unlikely weakness: fabulous dresses.

I really like that it isn't a standard theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the theme, myself. It's unusual and pretty- there are lots and lots of war games that I just don't want to play but cut-throat dressmaking for the king's ball? Count me in!

It would not bother me at all if they rethemed it for those of you who just can't manage to get past that but if they don't you should try because it's a very fun game.

Maybe they could make it about zombies and guns and then a great many people (here at least) would be all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as another one who really likes that the theme is different from any other game I have. It makes it stand out from the crowd, and it's part of what attracted me to in the game in the first place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
Well, didn't know what this game was about. It is now on my want list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just love the theme.
It's not just "making dresses".
It's about having Nobel customers al needing new cloths. You running an army of assistants and master tailors al working for you trying to make the cloths and not getting fired by you.
It's just so brilliantly done, which reminds me need to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remember the Dice Tower guys talking about this actually happening a few months back.

I can't remember exactly what they said the new theme would be (I want to say video games or something)? But I might very well have been hallucinating all of this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
I thought I remember the Dice Tower guys talking about this actually happening a few months back.

I can't remember exactly what they said the new theme would be (I want to say video games or something)? But I might very well have been hallucinating all of this

Partly correct, that was about Prêt-à-Porter simular theme, other game.
It's getting a remake to a video game design theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in our game group also had a similar response to the theme of this game when I wanted to play it. He said, he didn't want to play a game about making dresses. Finally I told him we were playing the game, because everyone else wanted to, and he could either sit out, or play Friday while we played, but we were playing it.

Turns out he really enjoyed it, and he's actually asked if we could play it on some of our game days.

Oh and I almost forgot.... get over it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Partly correct, that was about Prêt-à-Porter simular theme, other game.
It's getting a remake to a video game design theme.

Ah yes...*that* was it! Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would be a lot less appealing to me with a different theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is already a retheme - the original prototype theme was about the famous cemetery in Paris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm neutral on the theme, but at least it's not again trading in the Mediterranean or influential families in Renaissance Italy. And it's not just about making dresses. It's about making dresses (and coats) for a ball in the court of Louis XV in the Palace of Versailles! I admit there is a certain charm to it. In Prêt-à-Porter, on the other hand, the theme was an instant turn-off for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not enough "get over it"s in this thread yet

I find it ideal as a way to get non-gamers at the table for something other than a gateway game.

And you also arrange musical entertainment, decorations, manoeuver for top spots on the balcony and manage your people.

Plenty of things to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baltaistehws wrote:
this is already a retheme - the original prototype theme was about the famous cemetery in Paris

I'd love to see that one! My goth daughter might be convinced to play with a graveyard theme and what a great game for Halloween!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
mb
hemp wrote:
but the truth is that the game could have been more successfull with another theme.

Here's another "this theme was a major reason for me to get this game" reaction to serve as counterpoint to the above unfounded supposition.

The designers got me interested, but the theme rocketed this to the top of my to-buy list. My game shelves are already overflowing with games with so-called "universally appealing" themes (to mostly male-dominated niche groups) - I don't really need more of those. Rococo, however, was finally a solid euro game with a theme which would raise interest outside of that demographic. It has joined Fresco as one of the first games I'll think of when introducing new people to the hobby.

It's also the highest ranked game for all three designers, with nearly 5000 people just on BGG having marked it as owned. In my book that denotes it as a probable commercial success as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Retheme? Oooooh noooo, not again .....

baltaistehws wrote:

... which was the retheme of something with shoes in London. In Paris you got +1 VP for having the grave next to Jim Morrison or Edith Piaf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Palmer
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Right,
I have to ask have you have tried it?

Yes the a game about making dresses, but is a bloody great game.
(we always say "build" a Dress for some reason.....)whistlewhistle

If you miss out on playing this game just because of the theme then
well YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!!!!

I have played it 20 plus times and now we have an expansion.... awesome....

Try it just once, its better than the theme!!!!

Cheers
meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
The dressmaking theme is probably the number one reason why I own this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I appreciate your replies (even to the point to consider getting the game) I think the answers here are somewhat biased, as are all these BGG polls. The bigger picture will need people who doesn't already love the game too and that will take some more time.

As I said some of your comments enhaced my interest in the game (actually excluding those in the vein of "the best of this game is that is about making dresses" pretty funny indeed). But still the problem will be to get people to play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
But still the problem will be to get people to play this.

...in your group. In my group, getting a war or sports themed game played would be infinitely harder. Thank goodness we have many themes of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I got over it and now I own the game. Well played my fellow geeks, well played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.