Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a trap, must the Avatar's torches be removed first? Or can you just beat the heck out of it directly? It says "must" so I'm assuming that you have to do all 4 torches first?

EDIT: 2nd question. If you kill 3 of the torches first, then that reduces its range 3 attack to 0? Does that mean the attack is essentially dead?

This question came about because I just tried him and I stayed out of rane 3 the first activation (refresh AND darkness phase, yecch!) so it couldn't use the attack, then I killed 3 torches before next activation so I think the only thing it could do is to approach r1 and do 1 damage to each character in range 1. I don't think it could even do frozen since the main attack doesn't seem to give it. Does it intend to do so? Makes the fate dice useless too. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the 1.0 version I think you were able to just straight up beat the Avatar down by kiting it around the board. I haven't really looked at the 2.0 version yet so I don't know the exact wording of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that you don't need to activate those torches. I read the phrasing "must activate [...] with an NCA of TN 5" as a short form of "IF you want to activate them, you must do an NCA and you must meet TN 5." So, if you don't, you don't.

Also, with three torches, the Icy Grave ability should be dead. I don't see much room for interpretatin here.
Note that with each activated torch, his movement is increased by 1, so with 3 torches activated, he has movement 4. As Winter's Edge targets all heroes within range, he may have the possibility to use his movement to move adjacent to more than one hero.

Concerning "killing torches", I thought that the heroes don't put them out but lighten them. Heat should impair the Avatar of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both of you. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
As a trap, must the Avatar's torches be removed first? Or can you just beat the heck out of it directly? It says "must" so I'm assuming that you have to do all 4 torches first?

EDIT: 2nd question. If you kill 3 of the torches first, then that reduces its range 3 attack to 0? Does that mean the attack is essentially dead?

This question came about because I just tried him and I stayed out of rane 3 the first activation (refresh AND darkness phase, yecch!) so it couldn't use the attack, then I killed 3 torches before next activation so I think the only thing it could do is to approach r1 and do 1 damage to each character in range 1. I don't think it could even do frozen since the main attack doesn't seem to give it. Does it intend to do so? Makes the fate dice useless too. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Here are the card images taken from the 2.0 PDF download.

Avatar is a bit weird because it's a Trap that comes with an Agent (Avatar of Winter) to battle.

The Disarm condition is defeating the Avatar of Winter Agent. He's got a fair bit of hit points to chew through, and lighting all the torches is a bit of a shortcut to killing him. Not mandatory though, I think, despite the poorly-chosen "must" wording.

Lighting 3 torches will prevent his Icy Grave special from happening since it becomes Range 0. Without Icy Grave, the rest of his combo with the Shatter Fate recipe is effectively nerfed.

However! Since the Avatar of Winter is an agent, you can fight him straight up without using the trap. I think that fight would be a bit more difficult, because there's no shortcut for an easy kill, no way to shut down Icy Grave, and his initial stats are quite a bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Here are the card images taken from the 2.0 PDF download.

Avatar is a bit weird because it's a Trap that comes with an Agent (Avatar of Winter) to battle.

The Disarm condition is defeating the Avatar of Winter Agent. He's got a fair bit of hit points to chew through, and lighting all the torches is a bit of a shortcut to killing him. Not mandatory though, I think, despite the poorly-chosen "must" wording.

Lighting 3 torches will prevent his Icy Grave special from happening since it becomes Range 0. Without Icy Grave, the rest of his combo with the Shatter Fate recipe is effectively nerfed.

However! Since the Avatar of Winter is an agent, you can fight him straight up without using the trap. I think that fight would be a bit more difficult, because there's no shortcut for an easy kill, no way to shut down Icy Grave, and his initial stats are quite a bit better.

That's kind of how I played it but thought I had to do the torches. Not sure but I might have been able to deliver 10 points of damage without all the trouble of getting to the torches around the hunting party of shamblers.

But it was nice to nip it down to 5 and also to nerf the ice and shatter powers. I had a weird team that I was just trying to become familiar with (you can see it in another post -- Hunter, Archer, Spriggan, and Skald) who are not the best team combo but do all have massive attacks. You're probably right that attacking him straight on might well have been harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.