Hide
3 Posts

Tikal II: The Lost Temple» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reducing Secret Room Points (by 1 or 2 each) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob TW
msg tools
After a few games, I'm starting to wonder if the Points allocated for each of the Secret Rooms is slightly overpowered?
- my theory is that it is one of the most 'brainless' ways to get many points in the game for doing very little (which is mostly how I credit winning my first 2 games i.e. recognizing the OP & taking it). Especially when you consider that a player can choose to pick up an action tile with '1 secret passage + 1 Treasure', together these could easily result in 9 to 15 points! (which is pretty massive compared to the room average of 4 to 7 points).
So I think if each of the Secret Room points were -1 or -2 then they would be slightly less attractive and give more credit to people who get keys and put flags in rooms (which I think should be the main strategy focus of the game).
NOTE: I am aware that putting flags in rooms has other point spin-offs such as gaining you access to alter rooms that may give additional points and allowing you to better make use of the 'Scoring Tile' action which can give an additional bonus of 4-7 points. But even if you add this scoring effect, you have to keep in mind the other player still usually gains a few more points on their turn which still puts them ahead in the point race.

I'd be interested in others thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are scoring the rooms correctly I assume, because we have played this game a lot and never found the 10 or less points in these rooms to be over powered.

When you put your flag in a regular room, you count all the doors of all the rooms you have your flags in of that color (pink for example) and score that many points. You can rack up a lot of points if you do this correctly. Plus if you are concentrating on just a couple of colors, you can stock pile keys and score a lot of points off those (which is often how I end up scoring a lot of points).

Play it more than a few times, and I think you'll find that they aren't as powerful as you think they are, considering what you are giving up to get the secret room tiles. Now if your group is allowing you to score all of them with no competition, then maybe that's a matter of a problem with the players and not the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it 23 times so far and I think the game is perfectly balanced. This is Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling, for crying out loud, not your average Kickstarter first-time designer with his underdeveloped game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.