$15.00
$20.00
Josh Hagood
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the play time estimations I've seen of TTA clock in at ~4 hours, but my game night is 3 hours, twice a week. I've been wanting to get this to the table a lot more (Only really played 2 player so far, around 4 times) but it's just BARELY too long, especially since it'll be ~15-20 before anyone actually sits down at a game due to socializing.

We recently had some success with getting Food Chain Magnate down to 2.5-2.75 hours by first making sure we taught everyone how to play either on dedicated extra game days or in very small groups. Now, a whole game of FCM can be set up and played quicker than someone teaching another Euro to 4 players.

Do you think this might work with TTA too? Are there any intro games we could play to teach the whole rules? Like, taking out Age 3 cards only? I recently played a Tablet version of TTA that had a varient where a few Age 3 Military scoring cards were revealed at the start of the game and you only play 2 ages... maybe something like that? I know the first edition of TTA had a ton of variants but I've never owned that version so maybe one of the vets here has a suggestion on where to look?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If everyone knows how to play (not just know the rules, but have experience) and you cap it at three players... maybe. If you are looking for a short game, the back page of the Handbook has the "Short Game" rules you are talking about. Your best option might be to run a short game and see where you stand on time afterwards to inform future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vazzaroth wrote:
. . . a varient where a few Age 3 Military scoring cards were revealed at the start of the game and you only play 2 ages...

I've tried a "variant" of this variant w/3 players and we did manage it inside 3 hours, even with none of us being really expert on the rules.

We played two Ages, and then at the end of Age 2 we scored any left-over scoring cards in the futures area.

And then we randomly drew a fixed number (forget how many, I think we used the number suggested in the rulebook) of Age 3 scoring cards and we scored those. In other words, nobody knew at the beginning of the game which scoring cards would be added at the end. For some people that might be "too much randomness" but it worked pretty well and I think we had a surprisingly close end-score, with no more than 10 pts separating first from third.

In any case, three hours could get that done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone knows how to play and plays quickly, it's doable. But I wouldn't aim to get there before you each have about ten games played, either in person or online. Maybe less if you don't play with four, but I prefer the game with four myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.