Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread for continuation of PBG game from The Game Box.

Royalist decided to battle and it ended up being a draw. I took my loss. Parliament needs to take its loss and retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parliament lost Hamden's Greatcoats and retreated back to Gloucester.

Over to the Royalists. I've also placed the Wargame Bootcamp files in the DropBox too.

(While it is still a live site, the earlier turns and joyful banter is here - http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php?topic=4370.0 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea moving all the old turns to a separate folder.

I moved Maurice. Back to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maurice sneaking through Wales. What are you up to?

Discarded the Queen's landing for a recruit action. A Midlands brigade onto the Local Notable Massey in Gloucester, and the brigade comes into Waller's army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maurice is lost--no idea where he's going.

Discarded an event to recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Fairfax finally takes some action. Leaves F-the-elder back in Hull and heads west. There are some opportunities for Rupert or Charles to seek an interception and forced battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No interception attempts. PLayed an event to transfer some brigades from Newcastle to Rupert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Strange declared for the King. The regions around Manchester and Bridgnorth, on the Welsh borders, ran in the other direction to the waiting arms of Parliament.

Wikipedia's entry on James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby, is less than complementary on his abilities in the ECW:

His subsequent attempts to recover the county were unsuccessful. He was unable to get possession of Manchester, was defeated at Chowbent and Lowton Moor, and in 1643 after gaining Preston failed to take Bolton and Lancaster Castle. Finally, after successfully beating off Sir William Brereton's attack on Warrington, he was defeated at Whalley and withdrew to York, Warrington in consequence surrendering to the enemy's forces.

I'm sure his mum thought he tried hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully we can reproduce those less than spectacular results...

I played a major campaign, Rupert up first and marches on Tom Fairfax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the face of Rupert's horde, Fairfax fortunately stepped back to Sheffield. 2 more MP to spend.

Also, I shall be interstate for the next few days. This game is running pretty slow so it should not be a major problem. I'll be online but distracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the pace. It's a lot easier for the thread to get buried in my subscriptions here. (Not that I was doing that great over at TGB).

Rupert follows--probably shouldn't push my luck, I may not like the result if a battle actually occurs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get something to you tonight. Took the gang on a short holiday to the southwest. Indian Ocean beaches take some beating... Back in rainy old Melbourne soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The odds played off with a roll of 5, and Fairfax kept running and in Pontefract. 1 MP left for Rupert.

Like yourself, a battle would be interesting. Half considering to stop and fight - but you have a campaign card and I'm sure there is a wealth of interest coming my way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my major campaign--rather uneventful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the same feeling last turn when I had a campaign card. All of the brilliant - and for emphasis, they were brilliant - plans came to nothing outside of a bit of manoeuvring. Where is that knockout blow that rocks the Royalist cause.

Roland Laugharne has made the occasional, and welcome, appearance. While Maurice was lurking about he kept his head down, but now a prince of the blood is heading for the Welsh Marches, he declares his allegiance.

There is a card which brings Irish forces to the Royalist side. I like that this game focusses on the principle areas of the ECW - that is, England with a sniff of Wales - but the events in Scotland and Ireland are abstracted out, and so R.L. is a pretty minor character for us. Still, nice to have him helping out the Godly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I activated Charles for a bombardment of Nottingham. I think that's my last card for this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my last card, a 3 Ops for Willoughby and Laugharne to raid.

At the end of the turn you have some desertion decisions to make. The 4+ brigade army clause affected Rupert. The next clause, adjacency, will affect Rupert (holding 2 vets + 1 mil) or Hopton 1 vet + 1 mil); the third and final desertion clause, on enemy PC, will affect Rupert, Hopton, Charles (1 vet + 1 mil), or Maurice (3 mil). This will be a hard choice, as it will define which regions you can effectively fight in.

Following Laugharne's raid, North Wales became isolated - the limited fortresses of Chester and Shrewsbury can't support these spaces (and they in turn have been isolated from your forces in the Midlands), and Maurice was in south Wales. There is a similar risk now in South Wales if Maurice moves away, and ditto south of Oxford if Hopton moves. There is a bit of work here to preserve sufficient political support.

Also, we're in 1644, so the Turncoats rule triggers. A Major or Decisive victory (rare though they are) can lead to opposition forces changing sides. The rule triggers rarely, but a loss of one brigade to violence and a second to turncoats can unhinge a military position.

Finally, while the Solemn League didn't trigger last turn, it most definitely will this turn. Just one more pain point for us both, for different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my desertions and decided to go first on the next turn. Charles continued his bombardment of Nottingham and succeeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to get something back to you. Storm here took out the electricity where I live and in surrounding towns. Five days on we're expecting to go one more day before lights & heating become an option again. I'm at the local library for quick catchups but I trust you understand it might be a day or two more before all is well again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given my recent less-than-stellar turnaround times, you'd have cause for a delay without the storms. No worries, get to it when you can. Hope everything else is okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Army of the Solemn League crossed the borders at Berwick. (Just a century more to the '45 Jacobite rising. This one is certainly less remembered.)

The ASL is a major army (6.2, 5+ brigades and a 3 Ops or campaign card to activate; at this stage only Charles & Newcastle for the Royalist and Essex and Leven for Parliament are permitted to command a major army as listed in 8.4).

In the log file I've put a couple of [ wait ] lines so you can make some decisions without being influenced by my actions. The first is the choice of Newcastle to leave the supply fortress and come out to intercept - as a major army is so hard to move, interception can be a good idea, as per American tactics in Washington's War. On the other hand, a 5:1 brigade ratio is not wonderful, especially as we have the Turncoats rule in place.

Either way, the North is now an active battle space. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I evaded successfully with Newcastle. I didn't play any further forward in the logfile after that in case that impacts the remainder of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the log file Leven reaches the supply fortress of Newcastle-on-Tyne and stops, masking the fortress and its supply support.

Feel free to run through the remainder of the log file and take your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupert marches to Chester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your pair of questions in the log file on Newcastle evading Leven. These are (2/3*) generals, meaning strategy 2 for activation but strategy 3 for evasion and interception. Both are strategy 3 for the purposes of evasion. The evasion and interception have a comparison to strategy, but yes it is unclear whether it is against the activation or against each general's interception rating. I've checked BGG & CSW and find nothing. Have asked for a ruling.

Evasion - yes, Newcastle with 1 brigade can evade two spaces, as is the case for any army with three or fewer brigades.

Fairfax Jr moved south, gave the miners in Sheffield a talking-to, then has met the King in Nottingham. Evade, or stand. Against Fairfax, Charles will take a penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.