Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Orosz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's official. The first expansion will be North Africa, adding the British. From the FF web site:

Quote:
Across the Mediterranean lie the deserts and mountains of North Africa where soldiers of the British and German armies fight the greatest war in human history. Field Marshal Erwin Rommel leads a brilliant offensive against Commonwealth forces, far exceeding his orders and earning himself the nickname “The Desert Fox.”

This winter, the Tide of Iron line expands with the addition of Days of the Fox. This first expansion for Tide of Iron features the introduction of the British army and the North African campaigns, including new terrain tiles, new rules, new units, and new scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Africa was first and formost an armored war. I don't see the attraction of this being the first expansion for TOI. The Eastern front or the Pacific would of been a better choice IMHO....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I imagine the expansion will feature some armor heavy scenarios set in the desert but maybe also have scenarios for the brits in europe? If that is the case then the first expansion sounds good to me.

Still, it'd be nice for the base game to come out...still patiently waiting...

The other stuff FFG announced is exciting though (new descent expansion and starcraft baordgame gets a release date).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A desert themed expansion without the Italians is a little odd since they did provide the bulk of Rommel's troops but I can understand them only adding one country at a time. I wonder what the Brit vehicles will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:
I imagine the expansion will feature some armor heavy scenarios set in the desert but maybe also have scenarios for the brits in europe? If that is the case then the first expansion sounds good to me.

Still, it'd be nice for the base game to come out...still patiently waiting...

The other stuff FFG announced is exciting though (new descent expansion and starcraft baordgame gets a release date).

Fair enough, if they include a British OOB that covers the entire war, then I'm all for it....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a theory, obviously, but perhaps the Eastern Front (while more desirable by most) involves considerable more work and new units, than North Africa does. If done properly, I suspect an Eastern Front expansion to be a more costly investment by FFG, and perhaps they don't want to commit to such before having any solid sales numbers on the initial game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Ski, I couldn't disagree more! What the world needs is another East Front Game----NOT!
I have been reading all kinds of great books on the Desert Campaign, and there are so few awesome games on the subject, that I think this expansion is perfect. I list Rommel in the Desert, Crusader, and ??? as excellent games. I tried to buy the old ASL module (for King and Country or something like that) on Ebay, and it went for $125! AND, all it includes are some British counters and tan empty boards....I have tried Desert Steel-interesting game horrible counters, and Desert Rats-excellent counters, lame game. So I think this is the perfect addition to this game at this time. Just mho. If you can recommend a better Rommel vs. the Brits, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jacksonriker wrote:
Sorry Ski, I couldn't disagree more! What the world needs is another East Front Game----NOT!
I have been reading all kinds of great books on the Desert Campaign, and there are so few awesome games on the subject, that I think this expansion is perfect. I list Rommel in the Desert, Crusader, and ??? as excellent games. I tried to buy the old ASL module (for King and Country or something like that) on Ebay, and it went for $125! AND, all it includes are some British counters and tan empty boards....I have tried Desert Steel-interesting game horrible counters, and Desert Rats-excellent counters, lame game. So I think this is the perfect addition to this game at this time. Just mho. If you can recommend a better Rommel vs. the Brits, let me know.

Trust me, I have read a great deal on the subject. One book that is a true classic about the North African armor war is "Brazen Chariots" which should be included with every game. I know from playing the original Tobruk, that it can be entertaining, but it was a slugfest with little to do with over-all tactics. North Africa wasn't a matter of cover or tactical movement per say, but a matter of operational movement and flanking, which in the scale of TOI, doesn't quite translate IMHO. I may be surprised anyways. Do I plan on getting it....of course.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Expansion.
FFG have now put up info about the Days of the Fox expansion on their website.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron_td02.html

To me it just seems a bit "wrong" to be promoting the first expansion on the main Tide of Iron page even before the main game has shipped.

RFC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Across the Mediterranean lie the deserts and mountains of North Africawhere soldiers of the British and German armies fight the greatest war in human history

no mention of the Italians then, obviously not there in FFG land.... it does mention the commonwealth forces a bit later on, but really why do games always introduce the british forces in the desert expansion..?? i know it's a good way to expand the system into the desert, but i bet most gamers want to play the british forces at d-day/market garden/dunkirk etc... in fact an early war expansion with the british and french would have been nicer. I actually think an eastern front expansion would have gained more interest, maybe they could have simply done nation expansions, all the pieces, 6 scenarios and some new map, and then we could pick and choose what armies to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Stuart,

Yeah I thought it was strange that they chose Africa as the first expansion as well. On the upside it probably justifies a greater use of tanks and vehicles on both sides than most Eastern European scenarios would. I think I remember an interview saying that they would give Germany an air power deck for the African expansion.

I wonder what the new rules will be? And what makes them specific to this expansion (given that they have already said they are posting the Advanced ruleset online)? I'm guessing that they will either be scenario specific rules or rules relating to the new units.

I also imagine that as soon as the African expansion is released, the first thing you are going to see online is fan-made d-day/market garden/dunkirk scenarios using the original map boards with the new british units (hell, if we are lucky FFG might even put out a couple of official ones).

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what sort of things people come up with (even with just the initial base box set). I guess the scenarios will fall into two categorys: abstract scenarios and then the (hopefully) well-researched, historically-based scenarios.

RFC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great. Now they just have to release the game itself. At this rate the game will be released after the expansion (if it were possible). The hype for this game is too much. The delays and the various press releases might well result in a game that does not meet the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacksonriker wrote:

Best WWII Africa game is Shifting Sands -- worth the $$. Go get it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.