BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Strategy

Subject: just a thought rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Anyone ever think to mix bases? I mean before a game after picking characters maybe instead of a fixed set of bases you could choose from those available. Of course you have to pick one of each color. Anyone ever used this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong forum.

Also this messes with the interaction of the Bases. If you want something similar though, check out the Armory expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried something kinda similar once, to utilize all the alpha, beta, and delta bases.

At the end of the beat, each player can switch out his base set for one of the other two. It's done in priority order.

It was interesting, but a little cumbersome, and it looks like it makes a lot of matchups broken. For instance, we play tested it with Shektur and Eligor, and Shektur had a virtually invincible rotation of Spike/Force/Dash.

It's a shame, because I feel like between the three base sets there is a complete repertoire of fighting game fundamentals that simply aren't present in any one set. Specifically, Leap, Block, and Sweep really seem to round out the standard set of Dash, Shot, Drive, Strike, Burst, and Grasp.

I think it might be worth trying to play with all nine of those instead of the base six.

A case could be made for including Catch and Counter as well. Throw is essentially a side-grade/slight upgrade of Grasp. I'm not a fan of Stagger, and Parry is flatly inferior to dodge, Dash, or even Block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Crouch
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do this with Armory - after character select, either player can swap standard bases with preselected Armory options, to adust strategy.
By preselected, I mean that I have gone through and added specific cards to each character's kit that complement their playstyle, cover weaknesses, or match their theme - 2 or 3 per character. Players can evaluate whether they want to swap them in our not based on the matchup.
I only permit swapping with danger color bases, however, and mixing in EX or Almighty Bases is a no-no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.