Subject: Additional Starting Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Skinner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I'm toying with for a group of players who have gone through the rules as is a few times.

What I love about this game is the replayability since you never know what Leaders you'll be dealt (and many of whom stay off the table), but I'd also like to see... (Shockingly) more characters! I hate a game where my favs are buried at the bottom of the recruit deck (this is more of a thematic gripe than a gameplay one).

I propose allowing each player to randomly draw one additional Leader at the start of the game, and then again during the second recruit phase on turn 3. Then, have a restriction that at least one leader must remain in the Leader Pool each turn starting with the first turn.

Any drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
One leader stays there and then can oppose missions? Or can't? If it can I doubt the rebels would win a single game. Would they own any systems after two rounds?

Either way I'd be suspicious that giving the empire that many additional system explore or probe actions would unbalance the game given that that's the clock vs rebel objectives and extra leaders can't really help the rebels get more of those or complete more than one non combat objective per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kripak
msg tools
How about a variant where you volunteer to forgo single-choice action cards and set them aside and just shuffle 4 cards that are left? this way you handicap yourself as you wount have a chance for any of those single recruit cards but will have all leaders avaliable for recruitment for granted. Would predetermined availability of action cards cause predictability?

You could also make some new cards or maybe a mulligan last recruit draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when I play a first time player I give them an extra leader for the first 3 rounds.
This tends to balance out their mistakes of misusing a leader early.

The rebels get Wedge, and the Empire would get Ozell.
Both thematic (characters that were active early on their side) and they are not the strongest of characters.
For Wedge it gives the Rebels some extra security from capturing, and allows doing Spec Ops missions you can't usually.

It has worked rather well so far.
At first I let an imperial player have Ozell for the whole game, but that really and the game tough on me, an extra leader the whole game was too much. and after a few rounds new players "get" the leader management anyway.
I made it 3 turns and that seems good, the only problem i encountered last time. I played a new player (a gamer at that) is that he purposefully placed Wedge in a dangerous position so that if I captured him he would disappear anyway at the end of the round, a little gamey, but ok.

Why am I saying all this? because as was said above extra leaders all the time would significantly impact the game in my opinion.
It would probably shorten the game, but I feel it might unbalance it.

You would have to do some other change like giving the Empire only 1 probe card a turn, but by then you are really messing with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you remove the chrome, SW Rebellion boils down to a game of the Imperials trying to find the Rebel base before the Rebels run down the clock.

I am not sure if giving the Imperials an additional move each turn (one extra leader means the potential for one extra move of a ground unit, revealing a location) unbalances things or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Once you remove the chrome, SW Rebellion boils down to a game of the Imperials trying to find the Rebel base before the Rebels run down the clock.

I am not sure if giving the Imperials an additional move each turn (one extra leader means the potential for one extra move of a ground unit, revealing a location) unbalances things or not.

It would, at the very least, require the Rebels to move their base sooner and more often. The reason being, the amount of territory the Imperials could subjugate (and thus keep ruled out on an ongoing basis) would still be limited by their production.

On the other hand, the Imperials could move as much as they did before, and instead commit the extra leader to drawing probe droid cards more consistently with the starting intel mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
jackalope wrote:

It would, at the very least, require the Rebels to move their base sooner and more often. The reason being, the amount of territory the Imperials could subjugate (and thus keep ruled out on an ongoing basis) would still be limited by their production.

On the other hand, the Imperials could move as much as they did before, and instead commit the extra leader to drawing probe droid cards more consistently with the starting intel mission.

The big problem is that every time the Rebels move their base, one more probe card is removed from the deck, so this sounds like a double whammy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect adding extra leaders for the whole game to shift the balance significantly in the Empire's favor. I've found that around turn 6, I either have more Rebel leaders than I know what to do with, OR they've been heavily pared down by capture/freezing/turning, OR I have enough forces on the board that I'm in a pretty much unassailable position in the time remaining. The Empire, on the other hand, is ALWAYS short of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Skinner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One leader stays there and then can oppose missions? Or can't? If it can I doubt the rebels would win a single game. Would they own any systems after two rounds?

I was initially thinking that they must be held in reserve, but perhaps they just can't be assigned mission, but can be used for movement.

Quote:
Either way I'd be suspicious that giving the empire that many additional system explore or probe actions would unbalance the game given that that's the clock vs rebel objectives and extra leaders can't really help the rebels get more of those or complete more than one non combat objective per turn.

Excellent point, though I'm thinking it might be balanced out by the Rebellions ability to manufacture ships, thus slowing the spread of the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffskinner wrote:
Quote:

I was initially thinking that they must be held in reserve, but perhaps they just can't be assigned mission, but can be used for movement.

Quote:

Excellent point, though I'm thinking it might be balanced out by the Rebellions ability to manufacture ships, thus slowing the spread of the Empire.

What ability to manufacture ships? You can't just use people to make ships. There's diplomacy missions (all opposed by the emperor in your variant, btw) and a couple other missions to get planets/ships. The empire will literally crush every single planet of use the rebels own by turn two. (A good strategy already, but one that's a lot easier to do with extra leaders.)

By all means try it, but I wouldn't expect the rebels to get any wins.

The rebels will probably run out of missions to run and not have anything to do with it's people after a few turns, also.

I think the best way to get more leaders is to just play a second game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffskinner wrote:

Movement is exactly what the Empire wants to do with its leaders! This restriction does not handicap them in the least. With extra leaders for movement, they will spread small forces all over the galaxy and discover the Rebel Base by turn 2 or 3 at the latest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffskinner wrote:
What I love about this game is the replayability since you never know what Leaders you'll be dealt (and many of whom stay off the table), but I'd also like to see... (Shockingly) more characters! I hate a game where my favs are buried at the bottom of the recruit deck (this is more of a thematic gripe than a gameplay one).

If this is the problem, instead of MORE leaders, why not throw in DIFFERENT leaders?

You can let each team choose all four starting leaders, 2 of the four, randomize them all, deal 6 action cards, choose 4 leaders, the options are endless, and although they may mess with the balance a little, it won't be nearly as harsh as extra leaders for the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
when I play a first time player I give them an extra leader for the first 3 rounds.
This tends to balance out their mistakes of misusing a leader early.

The rebels get Wedge, and the Empire would get Ozell.
Both thematic (characters that were active early on their side) and they are not the strongest of characters.
For Wedge it gives the Rebels some extra security from capturing, and allows doing Spec Ops missions you can't usually.

It has worked rather well so far.
At first I let an imperial player have Ozell for the whole game, but that really and the game tough on me, an extra leader the whole game was too much. and after a few rounds new players "get" the leader management anyway.
I made it 3 turns and that seems good, the only problem i encountered last time. I played a new player (a gamer at that) is that he purposefully placed Wedge in a dangerous position so that if I captured him he would disappear anyway at the end of the round, a little gamey, but ok.

I know it's an old thread, but maybe instead of your opponent drawing action cards before turns 2, 3, 4 and 5 (like in vanilla game), have them draw cards before turns 1, 2, 3 and 5? This way they also effectively have one additional leader for the first three game rounds, but there's no "disappearing leader", so it prevents shenanigans you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not a bad idea!!

The only thing i would be concerned about is them picking "worngly" because of lack of experience
Granted most leaders are pretty good, but him having to choose 1 might be a little problematic, however i will try this, thanks for the idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.