John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in picking up a PG title, but I'm not sure which one would be the best choice. I'd like a good number of scenarios, with variety (terrain, force composition, special units).

Suggestions please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think Eastern Front has like double the number of scenarios (more than a hundred) of any other PG title, and it's not much more expensive, so it's probably a safe bet.

I hear however that the quality/fun of scenarios has improved over the years, and EF is based on two older PG titles. Also, it seems the more recent Road to Berlin is very good, plus it uses the late war tanks with that extra oomph, which should make it even more fun.

The only games I've tried so far (and only a few scenarios of each) are PG: Airborne (the scenarios don't seem very good, and there's only one tiny map, so you can skip this one safely) and PG: Desert Rats (seems very good so far, although I was not expecting so many scenarios based around Italian units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for a recommendation - which Panzer Grenadier ti
I concur, East Front or Road to Berlin, If you want big tanks, then Road to Berlin...

Airborne is the "intro" game to "hook" new people or something, skip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for a recommendation - which Panzer Grenadier ti
John,

Do you have a preferred theater, or timeframe? Avalanche Press's page goes into a bit of detail about each module, so if you see a particular campaign you really like or battle you're interested in, you might be able to pick up a module about it.

I'm having a lot of fun with the demo scenarios, found Airborne (D-Day landings, including Band of Brothers scenarios) a little too small to really show the system, and can't wait for the time to try Afrika Korps (early North Africa).

The Airborne map is small, and mostly hedgerow. You get a good assortment of troops, paratroopers, US infantry, German grenadiers, and HMGs and engineers and a few tanks.

The Afrika Korps maps are bigger, but bland (it is a desert), with a mix of Italians, Germans, British and Australians, with infantry, tanks, planes, and artillery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to look at MMP's Panzerblitz II...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone had any experience with the Pacfic PG modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the special rules for jungle and lots of night fighting makes it slow going, with lots of close combat.
The special Assault rules for Japanese units and the high firepower of marines makes combat very deadly.

John, go for Eastern Front Deluxe. It has 8 mapboards, 112 scenarios and all kinds of units. . . infantry, cavalry, mountain infantry, motorcycles, planes, armored cars, armored trains and even sovjet river gunboats.

More than half the scenarios are new and the rest has been revised to use the new maps and units. It's the "Best Buy" of the series !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.