Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last one went well enough that the store asked for another tournament. I was only too happy to oblige (seriously - running tournaments is as much fun for me as it is to play them... and when I run them, I know I won't lose! Of course, I won't win, either, since I'm not actually playing... but still...)

At any rate, we had another good turnout. Unfortunately, I arrived a bit late, but the players were already there, running a sample game for the new guys. There were two brand new players - but as always, it's a simple game, and they picked it up quickly. Turned out, they like the concept so much they even bought a copy of it before learning it!

The tournament was a lot of fun. There was even a husband-wife pair, though they were not (fortunately) pitted against each other at any point. Would have hate to have had a hand in destroying the marriage. The wife was warning everyone the husband went up against that he was a brutal player - he almost always won (spoiler alert - she was right!)

Well, since I just gave away the ending, I'll say a bit about the middle. There were a number of tense games in progress once everyone had their teams set up and were in the actual playoffs. It was a hard fought path to the final series, and everyone had a fantastic time of it.

Some of the highlights (of Baseball Highlights... so, highlight of Highlights?) were the brand new players. While one was eliminated fairly quickly, the other managed to push her way through the first few brackets, putting up quite a showing. The aforementioned wife won a game with a well-chosen card for her pinch-hitter, giving her a game that would otherwise have gone into extra innings. And there were several games that DID go into extra innings (during the actual tournament - not pre-season - there were no less than a dozen of them!)

One nice thing the store did: In addition to providing the winner with a $25 store credit (on top of the prizes provided by Eagle-Gryphon), everyone was so enamored with the double playmats that they agreed to let the participants have them at 50% off the normal price. Literally every mat that was used in the tournament went home with someone.

Again, a great tournament, and it is always fun to see how well someone can do as they just start learning the game at one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Glad it went so well Frank. Especially glad you have fun running the tournaments. I enjoy doing that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

Thanks for the excellent report and even more for running the tournament!

Glad to hear everyone had fun!

Ralph

Go Wiffle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is never not fun. Super blend of ease of teaching with really fun choices. I admit to the box not coming out when I want to solo as the app is so great but this is a game I never turn down an offer to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.