Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest September 2016.
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got supporters!
Standing ovations for

Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered stunning a price of 200 for September, October, November AND December EACH!

Also,

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb

as well as

United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

each offered a donation of 120 for the year 2016.
That is 10 price money from each of them per month - unconditionally!

And

Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the contest, that will be used from Oktober '15 until September '16 as a prize pool of 10 each.

Last but not least, we've got a microbadge you can buy, if you want to show the world, that you participated in the 24 hour contest:

24 Hour Contest participant

Thanks to

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for creating the badge!

The requirement of the previous month has been wedding, which attracted quite a lot of you ... Let's see your creativity, when it comes to the opposite ...

This month's requirement will be:

Divorce

(No, no personal reasons, this time )

Remember: The requirement is just a requirement - not necessarily a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha. So soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad I can't just submit this game that was on Kickstarter last year: Divorce! The Game

Quote:
Divorce! The Game is a game about America's Favorite Pastime. Two players take turns drawing two cards, keeping one and giving the other to their opponent. Like real-life divorce mediation, players will have to make tense decisions. Do you take an item that you want--or do you prevent your opponent from getting an item that might be valuable to them? As you fight for your house and your kids, you'll have to play dirty: use lawyers to steal back items, plant incriminating evidence on your opponent, and buy bribes to get the edge. The deck includes cards like Alimony, Mistrial, Tax Fraud, and more, granting players unique abilities to use during the game. In addition, you can sell off your possessions to the Pawn Shop in order to fund the legal proceedings. At the end of the game, the parent that won over their children's hearts gets to take them home--and all the child support that goes along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, I'm busy with two other game contests this month which will eat up all my time - so good luck to all those who enter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last game was a real time game you play at a wedding party.
But do they have parties for divorces, I think not.

Maybe I will make a game called "Divorce Party!"
That sounds like a fun game.

What would be the objective?
See who can get married and divorced in a selected amount of time?
Maybe each person requires specific requirements for you to marry them.
Once you marry them you need to do certain things wrongs to get divorced.
Seems interesting but complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
My last game was a real time game you play at a wedding party.
But do they have parties for divorces, I think not.

In fairness, I've known more than one person who's thrown a divorce/"thank god that's over with" party, so you're probably safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy.
Only a few minutes of brainburning to make a divorce game.

DIVORCE:

Card game. 2 players. Trick taking and rock paper scissors mechanism.
Theme: divide an extremely valuable set of china.

Cards:
12 cards of teacup (with a note this card breaks a saucer)
12 cards of saucer. (with a note this card breaks a plate)
12 cards of plate. (with a note this card breaks a teacup)

Gameplay:
Shuffle deck.
Deal 3 cards to each player. This the max number of cards you can hold in your hand.

Excess of 3 cards must placed face up on the table.

In your turn:
1.You must draw a card.

2. May:Score by removing a set (teacup/saucer/plate) from your hand and/or table.

3. May:Smash a face up card on opponent table, according to rock/scissors/paper rules on each card. A smashing sound is mandatory. Both cards are removed from game.

Game over when deck of 36 cards are played.
Scoring:
Each complete set scores 1 point
Each non set card (hand or table) score negative 1 points. Who needs those single pieces?

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DIVORCE.

It was a shot from the hip. But I think this game really may work.

Cards to print out

Edited link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hmvhygsfodohnoo/AABq09VtkkPAq9du5...

Edit:
Just noticed some really bad spelling on the cards- Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kai, sis you forget that I donated Geek Gold for Septembers through December contests?

Nancy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
DIVORCE.

Cards to print out

https://www.dropbox.com/home/divorcegamepublic

I think you might have posted a link to your own view of dropbox; that link takes me to my own dropbox with a message that it can't find the folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l3mst0r wrote:
eker wrote:
DIVORCE.

Cards to print out

https://www.dropbox.com/home/divorcegamepublic

I think you might have posted a link to your own view of dropbox; that link takes me to my own dropbox with a message that it can't find the folder.

Hope it is OK now.
Thanks notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nancyhutch wrote:
Kai, sis you forget that I donated Geek Gold for Septembers through December contests?

Nancy

Copy and paste, early in the morning ...
Looks, as if next month is about C&P

Sorry for having forgotten - I fixed it in the posting above

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in...give me a few hours to come up with something befitting the topic. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SETTLEMENT

A ten-minute 52-card Solitaire game recreating the settlement after a divorce of four assets (Kids, Bank Accounts, The House, and the Retirement Account). Usually, one side feels like they’ve been screwed. Hopefully it won’t be you.

[b]HOW TO WIN

End the game with an even split of 2 assets for you and 2 assets for the Opposing Party.

MATERIALS NEEDED

Regular 52-card Poker Deck
Pencil and Paper

SETUP
1) On a piece of regular sized paper (8.5x11 or A2), draw lines quartering it and then in each quarter write the following:
Heart = Kids
Diamond = Bank Account
Spade = House
Club = Retirement Account
These four corners are called Asset Corners, and you are trying to get more points than the Opposing Party in 3 of the 4 Asset Corners by the end of the game.

2) Take out the four Kings and Queens from the deck of playing cards. Shuffle the deck without them.

3) From the remainder of the deck, make two piles of two cards each for the four quarters and put them on the paper accordingly.

4) Place the the King of Hearts face up on one of the piles in the Kids quarter, then place the Queen of Hearts face up on the other pile in the Kids quarter.

5) Do the same with the other 3 Kings and 3 Queens until all 8 piles are covered with a King or Queen of the appropriate suit.

6) Draw 4 cards to your hand, and place the rest of the cards in a Draw pile within reach.

7) Place a card face up from the Draw Deck on top of each King or Queen. Now each of the eight piles has four cards. You have four cards in your hand. The Draw Deck has the remaining sixteen cards.

TURN ORDER
1) Flip a card from the draw pile. The suit of the card determines which asset is being “settled” this turn. For instance, if a Seven of Hearts is flipped, then Hearts (Kids) must be settled this turn. Discard the flipped card at the end of the turn. If a suit if flipped but that Asset Corner is empty, discard the card and flip another from the Draw Pile.

2) Either Settle a Suit or Gain Bargaining Power.

To Settle a Suit, play a card from your hand with a higher value than the top card of one of the piles in that suit. For instance, if the top cards in the Hearts (Kids) suit are a Six of Clubs and a Three of Hearts, you’ll want to play a card higher than a Six to get the Six of Clubs pile, or higher than a Three to get the Three of Hearts pile (it only has to be a higher card, the suit doesn't matter). Once you have taken a pile, discard your card, take the pile that you want from the corresponding Asset Corner to put in your Score Pile, and give the other pile to the Opposing Party. (Don’t look at the cards you’ve acquired yet.)
*Ace’s are higher than any card, but they only count as 1 point when scoring at the end of the game.

To Gain Bargaining Power, give the Opposing Party one pile from the active Asset Corner and then put one card from your hand into your Score Pile and the active flipped card in your score pile as well. Then draw two cards from the Draw Pile to put into your hand. **You can only Gain Bargaining Power if the Opposing Party can take a pile.
(On a future turn, if there is only one pile in an Asset corner and you successfully Settle, the Opposing Party gets nothing.)

Continue steps 1 and 2 until either all Asset Corners are empty, or there are no more cards in the Draw Pile.

SCORING
Once the game is over, discard all cards left in your hand (they do not count for scoring). Look at all of the cards you’ve received in your Score pile and separate them by suit. Add up the points you’ve received from each suit using the face value of the cards. (Face cards count as 10 points and Aces count as 1 point.)

Do the same for the Opposing Party, and then compare points for each suit between you and the Opposing Party.

END OF GAME

If you end the game with no winning suits (assets), you eventually find yourself out on the street homeless (YOU LOSE).

If you end the game winning exactly 1 suit, you grow old and bitter towards your former partner. You never trust anybody else again and never have another relationship (YOU LOSE).

If you end the game winning exactly 2 suits, the divorce and settlement is amicable. You move on with life with another partner but are always in touch with your previous partner, turning your divorce into a lifelong friendship (YOU WIN).

If you end the game winning exactly 3 suits, eventually your children grow up and despise you for what you did. You lose contact with them as they no longer wish to speak to you. However, you move on with your life making another family (TIE GAME).

If you end the game winning all 4 suits, your former partner spirals down into a life of drug abuse and trouble. Your previous partner is in and out of jail until found overdosed in an alley on a long winter night. You never wanted this (YOU LOSE).

*there should only be one 4 of Hearts. I grabbed the same card again and didn't notice until I uploaded the image. yuk

If I had more time to polish this game, I'd replace the hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades with actually asset illustrations for more thematic feeling (for instance, the hearts would all be a pic of the three kiddos involved, and spades would have a picture of the house/property).

Cheers,
MH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment I was expecting a riff on Settlers there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll try as well - officially setting aside some time now to come up with an idea for an entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davis
Canada
flag msg tools
oneshallstand wrote:
For a moment I was expecting a riff on Settlers there.

"Settlements of Catan". I had a friend go through this once, they got divorced, and dividing up the board games was one of the major sticking points, who gets the game? what about the expansions? maybe just divide up the hexagons equally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

So, I came up with something similar to the entry of @kzinti , but I went the micro game - deck builder route - sorry, this is what came to me when I was brainstorming. I was pushing for an "avoid getting a divorce" concept, but it wasn't going to happen with the time limit.

Sharing an image of my scribbles below. I'm not sure if I'm sharing it properly, I'm not used to the forums yet - I'm using a DropBox link, someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong please.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58t9w8meudmrnyj/24HR%20Contest%20S...

DIVORCE ATTORNEY

You're a lawyer at the settlement negotiation table, given the task to duke it out with the opposing counsel on which of the spouses gets what.

You start off with a few negotiating skill cards with ranks from 1 to 3 and you are to use combinations of those ranks in order to acquire properties one at a time for your client. Each property you gain becomes part of your negotiation tactics, whatever you are unable to negotiate for goes to the spouse.

Download a 2-page pdf here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uik2clhc5zvonrm/24HR%20Contest%20S...

18 cards total
- 12 "property" cards (2 sides: property and tactic)
- 6 starting negotiation cards.

A property card has 2 parts:
- Property (top part): that shows what type of property it is and rank, which you have to negotiate for.
- Tactic side (bottom part): the part that will be useful to you once you acquire the property/tactic card.

SETUP:
1) Shuffle your starting negotiation tactic cards into a deck, draw up to your max hand size of 3.
2) Shuffle the property cards, this will be your property deck. Place it face down in front of you.
3) Start a round of negotiations by revealing the top card of the deck. Note that some property cards have effects that trigger upon revealing it.
4) Play cards form your hand into the discard pile, adding up the tactic card ranks to match or go over the property rank.
5) Some tactic cards have special effects which trigger when you discard them - resolve them as needed. Note that you don't have to negotiate for every property, you can just decide to fold and discard your hand to start a new round and a fresh set of cards.
6) If you match the property's rank, you rotate the card 180 degrees and add it to your discard pile. Any unused cards in your hand go to the discard pile.
7) If you are unable to match the property rank, it automatically goes to the opposing counsel.
8) Start a new round after resolving ownership of the property.

The game ends when all the property has been accounted for. Whichever side has the highest combined property rank wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So .. my first attempt at designing a game. Also my first attempt at Google Drive, so if it doesn't work, please let me know! Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Breakup -- a dexterity game of cubes and standard playing cards. Divorcing players try to claim the best assets by flicking cubes at them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1aq6vNrbTbcT2Izb2FzV2UtdG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Easy.
Only a few minutes of brainburning to make a divorce game.

DIVORCE:

Card game. 2 players. Trick taking and rock paper scissors mechanism.
Theme: divide an extremely valuable set of china.

Cards:
12 cards of teacup (with a note this card breaks a saucer)
12 cards of saucer. (with a note this card breaks a plate)
12 cards of plate. (with a note this card breaks a teacup)

Gameplay:
Shuffle deck.
Deal 3 cards to each player. This the max number of cards you can hold in your hand.

Excess of 3 cards must placed face up on the table.

In your turn:
1.You must draw a card.

2. May:Score by removing a set (teacup/saucer/plate) from your hand and/or table.

3. May:Smash a face up card on opponent table, according to rock/scissors/paper rules on each card. A smashing sound is mandatory. Both cards are removed from game.

Game over when deck of 36 cards are played.
Scoring:
Each complete set scores 1 point
Each non set card (hand or table) score negative 1 points. Who needs those single pieces?

zombie

Seems that it need a short additional rule. But it is not fair to add it now in a 24 hr game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Confirming that the gdrive link works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countdown321 wrote:
Confirming that the gdrive link works

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

Seems that it need a short additional rule. But it is not fair to add it now in a 24 hr game.

I played two-handed a couple of days ago. Everything went smoothly, so if you are missing a rule, it's not a critical one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, have an idea (it's been in my mind for a while). It's about 9:20 am here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:
Okay, have an idea (it's been in my mind for a while). It's about 9:20 am here.

I managed to get a few play-thoughs and it's pretty good. For multiplayer games I'd probably want to use some of the turn-limiting options (e.g. time limit).

I think the relationship to the requirement should be fairly obvious. There's certainly a better name.

Divide
An abstract dexterity game for 1+ players. Ages 8+ (standard game), Preschool+ (with variants)
Douglas Rees, 2016

Rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7CaUkid9CW1dWg4eUtGYW93eD...

In divide you must sort out 6 towers made up of a coloured cubes, you doing this by picking up at least two cubes from the top of one tower and carefully placing it on top of another tower, making sure the colours match. You score points based on how many cubes of the same colour are grouped at the top of the towers.

The game can be played with 36 cubes or other tokens (6 each of 6 colours) of any size (provided all are the same size). Included with the basic rules are optional rules and variants enabling players to customise their game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.