Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow Scythers

If you know me, you likely also know that I have a keen interest in solo modes and in the Scythe solo mode in particular . By extension I'm very interested in knowing to what extent the solo mode for Scythe factored into the decision of whether or not to buy the game.

Therefore, I hope that you'll take the time to answer my little 2-question poll:

Poll
1. How important was the solo mode to your decision to buy Scythe?
Wouldn't have bought Scythe without it
Very important
Somewhat important
Little impotance
No importance
2. How often do you use the solo mode when playing Scythe?
Always
Usually
Half the time
Rarely
Never
      293 answers
Poll created by mortenmdk

In order for this poll to be as unbiased as possible, then please do not post a link for this poll elsewhere. If for example it gets posted in the 1-Player Guild forums, then its 5000+ members could severely skew the results.

Jamey is probably one of the few who would be able to post the link and reach a representative cross section of Scythe owners.

Thanks
- Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing on answer in the first question:
"Annoyed it was included in the base game - should be an expansion"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there should be another question, along the lines of "How happy are you that Scythe includes a solo mode?"

While it didn't make a difference to my backing Scythe (I would have anyway), and I have not yet played it solo, I'm really happy it's there because there are times I feel like playing when nobody else does. The presence of solo rules has been the deciding factor in some of my game purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:
I think there should be another question, along the lines of "How happy are you that Scythe includes a solo mode?"

Agreed. The solo mode had no effect on my decision to buy, and I'm unlikely to use solo mode often, but I am pleased it's there, and I have enjoyed a small playthrough of it so far. (Despite losing!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was really nervous buying this game for just solo play. It was the most money I've ever paid for a game to play solo and to be fair it looked like the kind of game that needed 4 or 5 for the true experience.

As it happens I feel the game was worth every penny and I don't at all feel like the solo gameplay is a diluted experience.

Actually bought some extra sets of Automa cards this morning so that I can test myself against that sneaky AI and all his dirty friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Do you think that the inclusion of 23 solo cards in a game this big would impact anyone's buying decision negatively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:

While it didn't make a difference to my backing Scythe (I would have anyway), and I have not yet played it solo, I'm really happy it's there because there are times I feel like playing when nobody else does. The presence of solo rules has been the deciding factor in some of my game purchases.

That would definitely be an interesting question, but what I'm trying to measure here is what impact it has on the buying decision, so if it had no impact on your decision, then that's the response I need in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hath22 wrote:
I was really nervous buying this game for just solo play. It was the most money I've ever paid for a game to play solo and to be fair it looked like the kind of game that needed 4 or 5 for the true experience.

As it happens I feel the game was worth every penny and I don't at all feel like the solo gameplay is a diluted experience.

Actually bought some extra sets of Automa cards this morning so that I can test myself against that sneaky AI and all his dirty friends.

I'm happy to hear that .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to buy a kickstarter collector edition for 95 euro.
That would be the most I ever spend on a single game.
When I noticed the game had an (excellent!) single player mode my hesitation was gone and I bought the game. (and never had any regret)
Also because I did not own any (good) single player game sofar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no interest whatsoever in single player boardgames so it didn't have any influence.
Was already wondering what those strange cards that didn't seem to fit on any designated space on the board were for .. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly buy my game for solo, they get some plays multiplayer too, but most of my games aren't. After playing the automa in Viticulture, I ordered a collector's copy through a shop. I've played a couple of times solo and it didn't disappoint at all as expected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game was on Kickstarter, I looked over the mechanics and realized there was a very real possibility that my husband wouldn't enjoy the game on account of the combat mechanism - I wasn't sure if it would be too attritional for his tastes (and it's often a fine line between what he's ok with and what he really dislikes). These days, I'm mainly playing games either solo or with him, so I'm genuinely not sure I'd have purchased the game if it didn't have a solo mode in it; I was giving it a 50% chance of being in my collection predominantly for solo play.

...As it happened I had nothing to worry about on that front given that the day I taught it him he wanted to play it two additional times that day, but... It might have snuck into a risky purchase (That art book is gorgeous; I may have picked up a basic version, stuck the art book in as an add on, and then if he didn't like it sold the game sans art book), but I doubt it would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought it yet but I may buy the French version in a few months.
As my most frequent players are not very interested in playing Scythe again, I would buy it for the solo mode and the hope to, from time to time, have a multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played the game with our group. While it received an overall positive reception, I'm not sure it's going to come out very often, so I expect my plays will be 90% solo.

Knowing that there was an Automa in the box right from the start of the Kickstarter campaign made it a definite purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
I play as blue.
badge
Purple is my second choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
hath22 wrote:

I bought this game pretty much exclusively for the solo play. I picked up Between Two Cities to try out the Automata, and based on that experience I knew that I would get my money's worth out of this game playing only solo. The bits got me interested: the solo mode grabbed me (by the wallet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't bought it, yet, since I want a German version of the game, but the solo mode is a decisive factor for me. Basically, it guarantees I will get my money's worth even in the (unlikely) case it won't see much play in our regular game nights.

It's an important advantage over, e.g. Terra Mystica, which I'd also considered getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a primarily solitaire player, the inclusion of a solo mode contributed greatly to my desire to acquire this game as soon as possible.

Without it, I still might have eventually purchased it with the intent of trying to develop some kind of solo AI on my own, or after someone else had come up with one.

So happy it came with one -- and such a good one, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reasons factoring into my buying the game with estimated percentage weights:
30% - Between Two Cities was a wonderful game by the same publisher which delivered in the expected time with rules which induced a great gaming experience.
30% - Theme and availability of quality game pieces to better immerse myself into the theme.
10% - Professional Kickstarter page which looked like they had a well-laid out plan to complete the project.
20% - Positive Reviews by either professional reviewers or print and play players.
10% - Game did not look too abstracted away from the Theme.

Edit - After thinking about this a little more. I think I should elaborate as to my feelings about the game after purchase also. I've had about 6 plays (3 solo, 1 two player, 2 3 player). These are the reasons why I love Scythe after purchase and want to keep bringing it to the table:

35% - Solo mode. Not just because this game has a solo mode, but because it is a very well designed and excellent solo mode which both creates an dynamic and challenging experience.
15% - Theme and Quality Game Pieces (I'm really glad I happened to back the Art Connoisseur Edition)
40% - Excellent game mechanics. This ended up being an awesome game.
10% - Game is not abstracted too far from theme.
10% - Awesome and fast community support from Jamie and others post production. They're presence is very noticeable on Facebook and in these forums. I've never seen a publisher so invested (and interested) in their game that they interface with the player community non-stop. I just haven't seen this with board game producers these days.

(Yes. I want to keep bringing this game to the table 110% laugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is on my wishlist because it has solo mode, otherwise I don't think I would have even considered buying it – except that there is some mech on the box art but that's an entirely different point.

Though, I don't own it yet: I wait for the french version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just responding because my response, too, adds info.

Didn't buy it, won't buy it. The solo mode does not influence that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Do you think that the inclusion of 23 solo cards in a game this big would impact anyone's buying decision negatively?

To be honest in this case? No.

It's the principal of the thing. I never play board games by myself. That's why I have video games. Do I respect the fact that others do? Absolutely. But do I wish that was a $5/10 expansion and I had 23 other cards in the game that I would use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
corkysru wrote:

It's the principal of the thing. I never play board games by myself. That's why I have video games. Do I respect the fact that others do? Absolutely. But do I wish that was a $5/10 expansion and I had 23 other cards in the game that I would use.

Interesting. Thank you for elaborating.

Do you feel the same way about a game that has enough components for 5 players if you don't think you're going to play with more than 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
corkysru wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I used to play video games. Then solo board gaming killed my video game playing. Yes, I have friends. Yes, I go out socially. No, I do not want to turn my friends into a board gaming group. No, I do not want to play board games with strangers. I play board games by myself to unwind, just like reading. Board game publisher and designers ignoring or excluding solo gamers is a bad idea. The paradigm has shifted.

Board games have also killed video games for me, except when I play with my son, but that's to spend time with him and they're not games I'd be playing on my own (e.g. Skylanders).

I unwind much better playing a board game by myself, but I also like playing board games with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the kind words, your responses to the poll, and your comments. I really appreciate it all. Please keep it coming .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
corkysru wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Interesting. Thank you for elaborating.

Do you feel the same way about a game that has enough components for 5 players if you don't think you're going to play with more than 4?

Actually - Query: Would removing the components for solo play from the box even have been cost viable? How much would moving a small deck of cards and an extra rulebook from the base game to a small expansion actually have knocked off the cost of the retail game? Normally due to quantities of scale the equivilent components in an expansion is more expensive than putting them into the base box, surely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.