Hide
4 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Converting dice with clues. (Prob silly question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim doran
msg tools
Ok so i got through my first solo playthrough (and i lost), It was late and i kept forgetting to use the abilities of my investigators and many other mistakes f4om my part. I need clarification tho but i think its too obvious to everyone cause i havent read anything about it. Is every dice roll that you make that features an atribute in the narative a test? My point being, are you able to use clues to convert magnifying glasses to successes on whatever roll you make? (Horror check, attacks and any/all other game mechanics).

Ps. I also found out that an in game effect caused me to drop a unique item which it had a "read" acrion through the in game inventory but no options to drop it via app.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 18 of the rules reference

"Skill icons can appear embedded in parentheses following a short
narrative. This is a test declaration; it indicates that the investigator
must test the specified skill."

So yes, if a skill icon appears and you're required to roll dice, it is considered to be a test, therefore yes you can use clues to convert magnifying glasses to successes.

As for your second question about dropping the item, you would still need to have removed the item in question from the character that was carrying it and put the card in the location on the board where they were standing. The app doesn't keep a track of items that have been dropped or placed in locations, that's what the game components are for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if there was an item that you were meant to get rid of for good, it would tell you to 'discard' rather than 'drop' the item. You (or someone else) will always be able to pick up a dropped item again, so there is no point in telling the app you don't have it.

Now, if such an item were discarded, the app would know, and would remove your access to it. I think it's safe to say there is no mechanic in the game that will have you discard a Unique Item randomly in a way that you might hit an app Item. There are some effects that discard Common Items, but those will never have an app action tied to them, so they are safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim doran
msg tools
Thank you for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.