madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
Poll: codex art
what do you think about codex art?
I love it!
It´s ok, I like it.
It gets the job done, i can live with it.
I loathe it!
      124 answers
Poll created by thechyper

What´s your stance?
i have to confess that I will have to go over the art to be able to enjoy the game. It was specially bad at the beggining of the kickstarter, when we had only seen the first decks, which looked silly,cheap and kind of amateurish...things improved with the remaining decks. But overly, im not a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I quite like it, but then I also really dig the sillier bits throughout like Spirit of the Panda, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. ; )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the art and all the silly stuff games should not take themselves too serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen any problem with the art in Codex. There's nothing as bad as Dominion's Harem or the kookier Dominion cards. One of my friends, upon seeing my print-n-play set, said "So is this just placeholder art?" I was really surprised - the art looks consistently fine-to-great to me. Nothing as breathtaking as some of the better MtG pieces, but all fine, some great (the hero artwork is very good), certainly nothing to grumble about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I really like the art and all the silly stuff games should not take themselves too serious.

i guess its the mix of styles that irks me...I have no problem with games like pixel tactics (love it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there are mostly two distinct styles: heroes and deck cards. Within the deck cards there are some differences between units and spells and such, but these are far less pronounced, I think. In their category, I find the art to be rather consistent.

In my perception, David Sirlin is mainly focussed on gameplay (balance, decision density, etc) and usability. The art of this game is very usable. It does not detract from the game, it does not get lost in details, it allows you to quickly identify which card is which (and which kind).

I, for one, am very satisfied with the art choice in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for the art direction. I could do without silly cards like Fruit Ninjas, etc. The computer generated art is rather fantasy generic. I would have preferred it all done in the style of Yomi. That said, it's fine, and I'm looking forward to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) I really like the in jokes, and whimsy present in this game it's quite fun and adds something to a normally dead serious genre that sets it apart.
2.) The difference in art style between heroes and every other card feels distracting, but not a deal breaker.
3.) The vast majority of the cards appear to have been drawn without reference, this is not a problem 95% of the time, but it's obvious throughout.
4.) The card Macciatus, The Whisperer has a really close friend touching his chin. Or his arm is off, and someone else is putting its hand on his chin.
5.) The card Jade Fox, Den's Headmistress has a smaller clone of herself beneath her cape hugging her, or needs to seek immediate treatment for badly dislocated shoulder.
6.) Most of the anamorphic animal characters have some sort of incorrect anatomical feature, but those can get a pass for not being something that exists in nature. i.e. Helpful turtles potion "hand".
7.) There is a great deal of small, barely noticeable inconsistencies in the art technique across specs. But perhaps that is purposeful, as within each spec the art technique seems to be consistent. Best examples would be to compare Blood (rougher edgers and strokes) to Finesse (smooth clean values and contrast).
8.) All these issues and more could have been prevented by having a legit art director working on the project.
9.) The art for Octavian, Poisonblade Rouge, and Twilight Baron are quite gorgeous pieces.
PS: None of the above affects the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Cornman
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former Ashes player, the art is comparatively substandard. The art in that game is stunning. But, like has been said before, the game play is what's most important...the art gets the job done and that's good enough. The silly cards don't bother me as much as I thought they would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been bothered by the art, and I rather like a lot of the pieces. I'm also a big fan of the more icon-esque style of the spell art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duong
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
The art's fine, nothing to write home about. I know art is extremely expensive and probably the most difficult thing to get right in indie productions, so I'm fine with anything that's not offensively bad. I don't know if Sirlin did the graphic design of the cards and card backs himself (I suspect he did), but I really wish he had hired a pro to do it, especially the card backs, since they ended up as the box covers too. It's just not very appealing at all.

Honestly the worst "aesthetic" thing about Codex from what I've seen is the awful, awful flavor text. It pretty much all fits in a range of blandly mundane to absolutely cringe-worthy. It actually actively detracts from my enjoyment of the game, especially when I'm showing the game off to new people. "I swear it's a great game guys, just don't read anything in italics!"

I really appreciate Sirlin as a game designer. I read his blog and listen to his podcasts, and I enjoy all of his games. I just wish he would bring in someone to help him as a graphic designer/art director/lore person so that he can focus on the things he does best, which is not those things. I've listened to enough of his stuff that I know he wants to run a super lean ship and try to do as much himself as possible to minimize financial risk, but I really feel like his products suffer for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, interesting. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I rather like a fair amount of the flavour text. Just off the top of my head I smile at the Rhinos, Captain Zane quotes, a lot of the Vortoss cards like Second Chances, plenty of the red cards, the Illusions, Sneaky Pig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.