Subject: Case 5/London directory confusion (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Using the directory I located Minnie Cavill's address as 11 SE and from visiting there, found out about her boyfriend. After breaking the first part of the code, I locked for addresses for all words in it that could be names e.g. Adze, Dirk, Bodkin, Knight. In doing so I found a man called Dirk who lived at the same address as Minnie (11 SE). I incorrectly deduced him to be her boyfriend and therefore the killer so missed Roger Thornbury. I didn't realise Minnie's location was a boarding house as it's not indicated in the text, only in the boarding house section of the directory.

I don't think this is a printing error but it is annoying. If I had known they both lived in a boarding house I wold have kept on looking for her boyfriend. Did anyone else make this mistake? Do you think it was deliberately put there to be a red herring or is it just a coincidence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldskoolsi wrote:
Using the directory I located Minnie Cavill's address as 11 SE and from visiting there, found out about her boyfriend. After breaking the first part of the code, I locked for addresses for all words in it that could be names e.g. Adze, Dirk, Bodkin, Knight. In doing so I found a man called Dirk who lived at the same address as Minnie (11 SE). I incorrectly deduced him to be her boyfriend and therefore the killer so missed Roger Thornbury. I didn't realise Minnie's location was a boarding house as it's not indicated in the text, only in the boarding house section of the directory.

I don't think this is a printing error but it is annoying. If I had known they both lived in a boarding house I wold have kept on looking for her boyfriend. Did anyone else make this mistake? Do you think it was deliberately put there to be a red herring or is it just a coincidence?

No, we didn't make that mistake, probably because we didn't bother looking for the names you mentioned. The idea that it might be a red herring for players who did think that way is intriguing, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mb
This might be caused by the edits made in the new version, but in the original version:
Minnie Cavill tells you the first name of her boyfriend is Roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
isketch wrote:
This might be caused by the edits made in the new version, but in the original version:
Minnie Cavill tells you the first name of her boyfriend is Roger.

Just checked and she says the same in the Ystari version. My mistake for missing an obvious clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a different problem with the directory during case 5.

We spent some time checking hotels to try to find out where the victim had stayed before checking into the hotel he had the night before he died.

In doing so, we walked right into Cox's bank which shares an address with one of the hotels in the directory. It was a unsatisfying lucky break that blew the case wide open without having to figure out the second coded message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.