Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
With so many extra cards as stretch goals on KS I wonder if Artipia had the time to playtest them, especially things like events. I thought game design takes time, thought and effort and plenty of playtesting to ensure proper balance. So, has Artipia done all that before even launching KS and they are just unveiling them bit by bit as stretch goals, or is Artipia designing them 'on the fly' during the campaign without playtesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
With so many extra cards as stretch goals on KS I wonder if Artipia had the time to playtest them, especially things like events. I thought game design takes time, thought and effort and plenty of playtesting to ensure proper balance. So, has Artipia done all that before even launching KS and they are just unveiling them bit by bit as stretch goals, or is Artipia designing them 'on the fly' during the campaign without playtesting?

I'm pretty sure they've been playtested since one card in Rahdo's proto-type was pulled from the main game as being too confusing but has come back as a stretch goal (The Apiary)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I am the most appropriate person to reply to this question.

Short answer
Yes, they have been playtested

Long answer
When making the game we had an idea of the number of cards that would be included in it. This is not always an arbitrary decision but it has to do with the size of the print sheets, the game's final MSRP, what else is included in the game and so on. However, since this is a game about cards with different abilities, there were more ideas suggested and tested than the number of actual cards needed. The extra cards that were good obviously would not go to waste. They were kept for possible future expansions or for promos. Having the campaign go well, allows us to print them as well and offer them as KS rewards.

As for the Events which is a mini-expansion, we had done something similar in the past with Among the Stars, which got a very positive reception. Thus, it was much easier to implement it in Fields of Green and we tested the Events knowing they would make a nice Stretch reward (especially since it is not something crucial to the game). Once again, if the stretch goal was met, great, they would be made and given to backers. If not, they would be kept for a possible inclusion in a future expansion or something.

I believe this process is true for most of the games out there. Almost always, when designing a game, a lot of material ends up in the cutting floor, not because it was necessarily bad but because there was not enough space for it (or some other reason like being too complex for the main game and so on). That material, if it's good, will be used at some point in the future one way or another.

I hope it's clearer now. If you still have any questions feel free to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for such a detailed answer! That makes perfect sense. Just one more quick question - would you recommend to play with all of the extra KS cards at the same time, or are there any KS components that are best not to be mixed with one another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't anything that would create problems if it was included right from the start. Perhaps the Events could be left out in your first game just to get a hang of it first and you could add them afterwards. The same could be said for some of the location cards in the KS (for example the Rabbits are a bit more complex than the cards found in the main game) but not anything that would create problems to experienced gamers - I think searching for specific cards to take out before playing would be worse imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vidalis
Greece
Ilioupoli
Attiki Greece
flag msg tools
Come and play with us!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they did!!!

I am one of the playtesters

Proud of that. I cant wait to play the original copy of the game with full artwork and components.

An other one very good game from Artipia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidaldo wrote:
Yes they did!!!

I am one of the playtesters

Proud of that. I cant wait to play the original copy of the game with full artwork and components.

An other one very good game from Artipia.

Oh you lucky person! I can't wait to play!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, it looks like all the art work was done for the cards before the Kickstarter started. I doubt the artist just draw those up after each stretch goal is achieved.

they are going to have the game completely ready to give to backers in Essen. That is like 5-6 weeks to get all the files to the printer , make the game, and get it shipped to Essen for pick up. Quick turn around time for Essen pick up backers

I would believe this game is tested and ready to print as soon as money drops into their account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.