6 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to build decent ships with the shapers of dorado? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
Hey everybody,

I'm about to give in to my innermost passions and desires and purchase shadow of the rift. Of all the new species, the shapers interest me the most, even if they have a silly name. Thing is, I'm trying to theorycraft decent ships for them which could compete late game and I'm having no luck. How do you make up for the missing slot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pillari
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The thing to remember about Dorado is that you are NEVER going to be able to easily toe to toe other players in late game. You'll never be bad, but by the end game, most players will have exceeded you IF you let them. So don't. Your primary ship advantages are as follows;

1.You have the biggest gun bar none at the beginning of the game. Until someone gets antimatter, or if pyxis gets a deathmoon on the table, which doesn't usually happen till mid game.

2. While you are missing a slot on all your ships, they are replaced by a decent amount of power to play with at the beginning of the game. Getting a cruiser out with a soliton and better hull makes you one of the best early game expanders, since regular ancients die very quickly to you.

3. Your time travel power can get you late game advantages early on. You sometimes have to view it not as a way to get points by fulfilling the paradox, but rather, an opportunity to pay for late game tech with victory points in order to get it super early. Yeah, getting hit with vp penalties kinda sucks, but a free dreadnought, +3 computer, 3 movement engines, etc. early on can give you an early resource advantage as you take systems that others can't even dream of touching at the time.

Basically, while you don't necesarily play aggresively towards other players, DO take control of the map early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
Ah, that's an interesting perspective. So basically one would play them like the planta?

I'm still confused about what to do with the ships though. Low initiative seems to be a bit of a crippling factor. Generally in eclipse there's a bit of a rock paper scissors game where fast, unarmored ships beat armoured ships, unarmored missile boats beat fast, unarmoured ships, and heavily armoured ships beat missile boats. It's a bit more complicated than that, with things like ion missiles and point defense making fast ships even better, but I'm not sure what to do with the shapers. One less slot makes stacking hull difficult, and the extra power lends itself to ships with big guns and computers and not as much armor but sadly those ships need extra initiative to win. What builds have you found good throughout the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipsean4026 wrote:
Ah, that's an interesting perspective. So basically one would play them like the planta?

I'm still confused about what to do with the ships though. Low initiative seems to be a bit of a crippling factor. Generally in eclipse there's a bit of a rock paper scissors game where fast, unarmored ships beat armoured ships, unarmored missile boats beat fast, unarmoured ships, and heavily armoured ships beat missile boats. It's a bit more complicated than that, with things like ion missiles and point defense making fast ships even better, but I'm not sure what to do with the shapers. One less slot makes stacking hull difficult, and the extra power lends itself to ships with big guns and computers and not as much armor but sadly those ships need extra initiative to win. What builds have you found good throughout the game?

Basically: Use that early game advantage so that you don't have to have even battles. Early Game your ships are stronger. Assuming you leverage that advantage you will later have either an advantage in numbers (or resources for replacement) or tech or both.

Apart from that I'd say: Accept the 5 Energy you get as your limit to work with, as one of your slots used on energy seems kind of worthless.

Soliton Cannon, Speed 2 Drive and either the built in Computer or Improved Hull or Sentient Hull would be one go to build early and midgame.

Late game I'd go for
- the "No energy" Drive Rare Tech, Soliton Cannon and a Strong Computer with as much Improved Hull/Sentient Hull as fits
Or
- High Speed Drive, Missiles and Strong Computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
What do you think of the absorption shield rate tech? Is that worth putting on the dreadnought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipsean4026 wrote:
What do you think of the absorption shield rate tech? Is that worth putting on the dreadnought?

If you have 2 improved hull on there that the -1 can act on as a "force multiplier" it could be a decent idea. It would allow for 2 Soliton Cannons and some good combinations of computer and drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.