United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite a "review" yet, but I received my KS copy of Roll Player in the mail yesterday (September 1).
The game looks gorgeous, but one Warning: When popping out the "dice holes" from the character sheets, be very careful.
Some of the paper ripped on my male Halfling sheet, trying to come off along with the popped-out square. I've fixed it with tape and it will be OK, but I was much more careful popping the pieces out of the other sheets.

I played one solo game, and it was very easy to run through, even though I made some mistakes and some judgement-call errors. Looking forward to playing again and trying to play with actual opponents.

Here's my Orcish Bard at the conclusion of my first solo game:

(After finishing the first game, I also decided to sleeve all the cards, but you don't really have to. The cardstock is pretty good)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a pretty looking game! Are they all in the mail? This seems early

PS 11 is you lowest stat. Impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have done even better, but I was learning as I went. I didn't take any Traits until the end because I might have been overvaluing my Alignment, for example. I also started the game with one die in each stat, because I thought that was a requirement until I looked more carefully at the rules (and was reminded on facebook by the game designer himself).

And with a combination of good rolls and semi-intelligent use of the attribute bonuses, I was able to turn a lot of low dice into high.

Also, the Solo Variant is pretty neat, where the Evil Golden Die potentially eats up a card from the market, with increasing likelihood depending on your initiative choice.
(And by extension, it removes one golden die from the bag permanently)

Can't wait to try an actual multiplayer game of this.

I'd almost consider this as an actual method of character-creation for a one-shot campaign, but there's no way to manage balance
Either way it still tells quite a story, of the Orc who grew up on the streets and learned to play heavy metal lute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very jealous!

My copy is still on its way to the US distribution center zombie

But hey, I've got a whole bunch of games shipping around now. The last quarter of 2016 is gonna be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this will get European distribution soon, I'll be first in line to snag a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. Glad you're enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you've seen my reports on FB as well, Keith. After just flipping through cards/rules and one solo play, I am loving the game so far.
Already wondering about expansions...

"Rolled Player: The Adventure" expansion, anyone?
The valiant Nimbly-Acrobatic Orc Bard, equipped with half a set of leather armor, a few mystic robes, and a longbow, goes off to defeat the Evil Warlord....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic! Mine's out for delivery today, so it looks like I'll be doing a smidge of reorganization to the game box before heading down to DC for the convention this weekend... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Yeah, you've seen my reports on FB as well, Keith. After just flipping through cards/rules and one solo play, I am loving the game so far.

The valiant Nimbly-Acrobatic Orc Bard, equipped with half a set of leather armor, a few mystic robes, and a longbow, goes off to defeat the Evil Warlord....

Ha! I've been working on an expansion for quite a bit, actually. I called it "Roll Player: Adventures" when I first started working on it. It's now called "Roll Players: Monsters & Minions". Hopefully there's demand for it down the road (fingers crossed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Gruber
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmatejka wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

Ha! I've been working on an expansion for quite a bit, actually. I called it "Roll Player: Adventures" when I first started working on it. It's now called "Roll Players: Monsters & Minions". Hopefully there's demand for it down the road (fingers crossed).

Heck yes!!! Build the character then go out with him and do something cool. Maybe an entire campaign!!! Think BIG Keith. can't wait to get home today and open it up!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received mine in Ohio as well. I played a game with my kids already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Concepcion
United States
lititz
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that got their copies did your bag have white mold on it? Myself and one other person that posted on BGG fb group seem to have this issue. I'm going to try and email the company about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dimmok wrote:
For those that got their copies did your bag have white mold on it? Myself and one other person that posted on BGG fb group seem to have this issue. I'm going to try and email the company about it.

White mold? No, I don't think so. I probably would have noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working with Gary and the other fellow who reported mold issues. If anyone else encounters this problem, please let me know asap. I'll make sure it gets taken care of.

Thanks!

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a few small spots of what appeared to be fine white powder on the black bag in my game box, but they came readily off simply by brushing them with my fingers. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't seen it mentioned here. I simply sprayed the bag lightly with some spray cleaner just to play it safe. I'm not concerned about it. Overall, I am extremely impressed with the quality of all game components. Top notch job all around. Now I just have to find time to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No white spots on my bag. thumbsup

I played a trial "2-player" game last night (I played both players). The rules are really well done, covering some questions I had even before playing the game. When I had questions on a few of the more complex market cards that came out during the game, I found those cards had detailed explanations in the rulebook. Great job! This shows the game was well tested before the rulebook was finalized.

I found the game a lot more think-y than I expected. There was a lot of: "If I take this die and put it here, then I can trigger that power and do this. But if I take the other die an put it over there, then I can do this other move. But wait, if I use this Skill first, I can them put the first die in another location and...but wait, I want to make sure to get that Market card, so I need to grab the #1 initiative card. Argh!". Well, you get the point. Lots of interesting interplay between the dice, cards, initiative order, and VP goals makes this a really interesting game of trying to maximize the effectiveness of each choice.

In my game, the scores were 31-28, with the winner completing a full set of Leather armor. The other player tried to deny two of the Leather cards, but the player collecting the armor bought a Skill that allowed him to buy from the discard pile. If I had been thinking more clearly, the other player would have purchased the 4th piece of Leather armor rather than discarding it, thus preventing the extra 3 points for the full set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game.

Matt, remember the player could have purchased that armor card and got an point for for it too, even if they were not the black or purple class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, give it to me next time I see ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy got to the post office yesterday and I picked it up this morning

I opened it and checked everything, and it all seems to be in order! There were some mishaps taking out the dice holes, but nothing serious (this from someone who's a real nitpicker when it comes to these things).

The dice bag did have white-ish spots, but I rubbed them out with my hand *shrug* I assume if it was fungus or something like that it'd take a bit more than that to get rid of.

Anyway, it looks awesome, and I can't wait to bring it to the table! I'm even saving the trash tokens from the dice holes, maybe they'll help me with some trash-related game prototype

Thanks for the great work Keith! Want me to send you a message on KS too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.