Subject: open action/player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

in many worker placement games (one of my favourite WP game is Russian Railroad)action spaces are "locked" from other players once someone occupies it. This raises the player interaction, because you must look what others do and what they need, trying to block them.

In TPoH resources space are always available to all players, even more than once by the same player(paying stress, of course); more, projects and activity rows are always replenished, so the "race" for them is not tight (you have always a 4 card choice).

How can you play against opponents in this game? There is enough player interaction?

thanks
AS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a ton, but some. Depending on how competitive you want to play, you can take cards to deny them to your opponents. And, more specifically, there are group projects with limited spaces. Also, I guess there could be some jockeying for STH.

It's definitely not a cutthroat game, but it's not group solitaire either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
It's definitely not a cutthroat game, but it's not group solitaire either.

I played once the first version (and backed immediately) and I agree with you, Justin. Sure if someone wants more blood at the table, TPoH is not the right one (this is why I also backed Vanuatu 2nd edition devil ) but I remember I enjoyed the game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
air show wrote:
How can you play against opponents in this game? There is enough player interaction?
The more I play this game, the more I realize that billing it primarily as a "worker placement" game really is misleading, primarily for exactly the reason that you describe: when most people hear the phrase "worker placement," the assumption is that other players' actions will block you, and that's where the interaction comes in.

TPoH, as you've surmised, doesn't work that way.

The phrase I've taken to using when describing this game is "The Pursuit of Happiness is a card-drafting, resource-conversion game with a 'reverse worker placement' element, by which I mean that other players' actions don't block yours, but your own actions, to a certain extent, block your further actions that round." (Going on to explain, then, that they don't actually "block," but you pay the penalty of taking Stress.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.