Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Pirates + Fairies = ONE SICK COMBO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
BACKGROUND

For starters, I'd like to say that I play Pirates often because everyone complains about how "bad" they are. The trouble is, a lot of players see Pirates as Bears, a destruction and movement deck. I see them as board control and play them as such, usually holding out, scoring 2nd or 3rd on bases, until I get that sick play with sea dogs or full sail. Being #1 is great and all, but I like winning more

After playing a few games with Fairies with other decks I realized how much sick sad combo potential they had with Pirates and decided to give it a go in a 5 player match and HOLY HECK WAS I RIGHT!

HOW IT WENT DOWN

More or less, my opponents were playing decks with Monster Smash woven in (I don't remember specifics through and through). The majority of the game was a power up competition where 3 of the 5 bases were heavy in desolation as each of my opponents vied for first place. This left 2 bases relatively untouched (I believe they were mostly shunned because of the base abilities). That said, I was able to set up shop on these bases with my Glymmer's.

No one paid too much mind to me because I was able to be everyone's buddy, debuffing and destroying the biggest threats while slowly building up power throughout all bases. I had so much control over the board that a base hardly popped without my consent. All this debuffing, power spreading, and control was for one play; and to be honest, I didn't think I'd pull it off as well as I did.

The turn came, all my Glymmer debuffs turned to buffs. Dropped Titania, slapped out Puck, swash buckle'd, and sea dogg'd someone, 2 bases popping, FULL SAIL, 4 bases popping. In that moment I went from 4th place to GAME OVER.

DEETS ON WHY THE COMBO IS GOOD

It sounds good on paper, and it's great in practice. Pirates want to kill small things, Fairies make things small. Fairies like to keep a lot of their abilities going as long as possible, pirates displace and kill enemies to keep bases from popping. Pirates have a lot of great action combo potential and poor drawing, Fairies enable that combo potential and give great draws. Both decks like to be all over the map, and pirates can allow them to clump up when the time is right. Just think about it.

Now, of course, if you're not too big into strategy and hanging out in last place waiting for bigger plays, you won't be well met with this deck. Immediate power is great and all, but I like having options and influence, and that is exactly what Pirates + Fairies gives you.

ANOTHER COOL COMBO

I just got the "It's Your Fault" expansion yesterday and I played it with 2 friends and MAN are DRAGONS OP AS HECK. I combo'd them with Spies and it was the sickest, saddiest game of Smash Up I have ever played (aside from 1v1 with Aliens whistle ). Where to even begin @_@. For one, Dragon's base breaking manipulation is beyond on point. If they literally just focused on that, they'd still be hella. BUT THEN THEY ADDED IN THE -VP EFFECTS AND LIKE, I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE WON BY SUCH A WIDE MARGIN. Both Dragons and Spies let me disable and cripple my opponent's hands. Both Dragons and Spies let me steal 1st place out of literal nowhere. Both Dragons and Spies let me keep my hand at 8+ at nearly all times. There was no stopping me.

So, if playing it chill with Pirates + Fairies isn't your style, try Dragons + Spies out and heck everybody up.

Pirates + Sharks looks thematically good and look like they'd combo well on paper. I can't wait to try them out next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glimmer is great indeed for the vast amount of 2p destruction.
As odd ad it sounds, alien sharks probably tops the pirate shark idea (scout heavy synergy , tools to delay and take over bases)

Try catnados and cat-sharks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
desocupado wrote:
Glimmer is great indeed for the vast amount of 2p destruction.
As odd ad it sounds, alien sharks probably tops the pirate shark idea (scout heavy synergy , tools to delay and take over bases)

Try catnados and cat-sharks.

Tbh I tried cats twice and I went up against cats about twice and I found them really weird and difficult to play with. I won with Cat-Dino's but the victory felt very convoluted iirc and I know my opponents who used cats straight up dreaded their games. But heck, I wouldn't mind giving them another go with the new sets!!

I got to try out Super Heroes and Robots tonight and it worked a lot less clunky than I thought it would (good draws?). "Not Really Dead" is just stupid OP with Robots and Captain Awesome stopped most things that'd stop the robots, then the boosting superhero..it was a mad house of murder terror. (Still lost to Wizard-Greeks, by a bullshit 8 spell combo hair. Note: Wizard-Greeks is as insane as it sounds on paper).

I also just ordered the Munchkin set for $16 on Amazon, so I'm pretty stoked about getting 8 new decks soon! The Warriors and Elves look particularly interesting, while Halflings, Thieves, and Mages look straight up OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing will ever beat Alien Time Traveller combo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

Elder geek and elder Dragon come to mind.
Plant-robot can closes based by themselves too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:

Haflings + Elder Things
Geek + Super Spy
Zombies + Steampunk

These three combinations comes to my mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the session report! Pirate + Fairy sounds like a really good anti-carry combination, but I feel that the combo might not do that well against destruction factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
Parsat wrote:
Loved the session report! Pirate + Fairy sounds like a really good anti-carry combination, but I feel that the combo might not do that well against destruction factions.

Yeah, I may have gotten away with a lot because my opponents were all about playing high power decks. Very low on movement, destruction, and deck control. Honestly, literally any movement decks (like bears or tornados) would probably cause it a good number of issues without even trying. That said, any destruction my opponents had were primarily focused on each other because of how fast they were ramping up power and how well I debuffed them to destroy one another. I was never the threat :^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:

It's funny you say that because I have a friend who tries that every once in a while and if the VP combo doesn't happen soon it doesn't happen and even then, we're completely up to what he's trying to do and thwart him pretty easily like: "Oh, you're going for THAT combo again? Well, I'll just pick geeks/spies/tricksters/elders and literally shut your life down."

Once he complained about us doing that isn't very fun and we're like "Dude, that combo isn't very fun."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Fukutaki
msg tools
Did you have enough power on the 2 bases before Full Sail to pop all 4? Just making sure since Full Sail happens before a base scores, so you can't score 2 and then Full Sail to score 2 more. That being said, still sounds fun. I also did Dragon Spies, but the board control and -VP can really drag the game out and piss off friends, so probably won't anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think I've ever popped more than 2 bases at once or gone from 4th to first in one turn.

I have done werewolf steampunk and was able to break and win 2 bases in one turn.

Marking territory on a base, then when it's my turn again the effect triggered, then I use all manner of ahabs and zeppelins to move enough minions to a second base and win both of them.

If you want an insane combo that give you TONS of options try ghost shapeshifters (you need to get good with the ghosts for it to be effective).

I also want to try ghost ignobles one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Time wrote:
I don't think I've ever popped more than 2 bases at once or gone from 4th to first in one turn.

I have done werewolf steampunk and was able to break and win 2 bases in one turn.

Marking territory on a base, then when it's my turn again the effect triggered, then I use all manner of ahabs and zeppelins to move enough minions to a second base and win both of them.

If you want an insane combo that give you TONS of options try ghost shapeshifters (you need to get good with the ghosts for it to be effective).

I think I did that as pirate robots, by having 2 fixer + alpha and full sail (which I saved up intentionally)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
Father Time wrote:

Only a few decks enable multi-base breaking combos.
I tried Clerics for the first time last night, and I'm positive these guys would be perf at it since they buff everyone.

Ghosts + Shapeshifters though..I can just smell the crazy bs you could pull off with that. I'll try it out in my next session!

desocupado wrote:

I think I did that as pirate robots, by having 2 fixer alpha and full sail (which I saved up)

I honestly havn't played Robots and other known broken decks for a long time, just because I really know how to push them to the limit like that. Microbot Alpha + Fixers slay so hard it's UNREAL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
desocupado wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

Elder geek and elder Dragon come to mind.
Plant-robot can closes based by themselves too

Assuming the original poster meant in 1v1 where Alien Time Travelers are really good, Elder Geeks horribly mauls either Alien Time Travelers or Cthulhu Aliens, with a combined 6-0 record against them in my games. So yup. I wouldn't bet on either of the other two against Alien TT, but Elder Robots or Ghost Robots would be favorites in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mb
Robots are easily defeated by some factions, such as Sharks or Dragons. So it's really just a question of how you do your drafting. I'm not sure that any deck is "known broken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:

I'd say zombie punks could out play those ADD aliens. Lol. I dropped 36 points in 1 turn with this combo... Then did it again.

Sorry, just read all the other replies to this. Guess many people have strong feelings about that combo. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
There is a T1 though. They can definitely get ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:
I honestly havn't played Robots and other known broken decks for a long time, just because I really know how to push them to the limit like that. Microbot Alpha + Fixers slay so hard it's UNREAL.

Super Future Space Armor Power is unreal by itself. Basically the same effect of like having the 3 mentioned cards if you play a half decent minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.