$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: I see all they hype, but I see no games for sale ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Mixer
United States
Orrington
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, everyone seems to love this, but no one seems to actually sell it.

Where do you buy this? ..or you just don't and move on?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe more copies will be available in October or early November. Patience, it is worth the wait.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Snooze you lose
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
So, everyone seems to love this, but no one seems to actually sell it.


Maybe the first part of the sentence is the reason for the second part.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekmarket?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the hype comes from the near 18000 people who ordered it off kickstarter. Retail copies aren't readily available at the moment however. Some retailers went through KS but they were likely notenough to cover the initial demand or were taken up by preorders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I believe more copies will be available in October or early November. Patience, it is worth the wait.


Yeah, AFAIK they should hit the market in October.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
So, everyone seems to love this, but no one seems to actually sell it.

Where do you buy this? ..or you just don't and move on?

If everyone was selling it, wouldn't that be a sign they didn't really love it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The first retail print run was pretty small, as we invested so much in the 21,000 Kickstarter games. We have another English print run on the way in October, and our European partners have a print run due for Essen release.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.

Odd, that, innit?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, getting this game at retail was really annoying. I saw a bunch of places had it for pre-order arriving soon, stressed a lot about whether I wanted to get the spiffy-all-the-extras edition or the regular edition, see it is in stock, make up my mind - and then every place is out of stock.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen half a dozen copies in the last week in Brisbane Australia, postage might be a miller for you though. There were going for about $120usd
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan - it's not "hype" unless the intention is to deceive. "Excitement" would be a better word. And there is a lot of excitement about this one (me included) - but most (maybe all) of us who are excited are not trying to deceive or mislead anyone. We just think it's a really good game. (I'd call it 'spectacular', but that's just my opinion.)

As to your question, more are scheduled for October (I think) - but they have been selling out shortly after appearing. Hopefully you can grab one. Go to a dealer and ask him if he is expecting any and do a pre-order if they allow it. Otherwise, keep your eyes open.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Frank. That's a really nice way of clarifying what "hype" is. I think it's great when people share their excitement for Scythe (or any game, or anything!). Let's not dismiss something just because people are passionate about it, right?

For some reason that type of collective excitement (which I wouldn't even define as "hype") has become confused with a person who boasts that their thing is the best thing ever made. Like, if a person invents a new type of phone, and they tell the media that it's the best phone ever made. That's hype.

What's really odd is, despite the widespread use of the word "hype" in the board game community, all of the designers I know are quite humble. Sure, they're passionate and proud of their creations, but they don't hype their game as the best of all games. They know, like I do, that some people will like their games, and others won't.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Dna_Boy wrote:
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.

Odd, that, innit?
Maybe they returned it for a refund.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thank you, Frank. That's a really nice way of clarifying what "hype" is. I think it's great when people share their excitement for Scythe (or any game, or anything!). Let's not dismiss something just because people are passionate about it, right?

For some reason that type of collective excitement (which I wouldn't even define as "hype") has become confused with a person who boasts that their thing is the best thing ever made. Like, if a person invents a new type of phone, and they tell the media that it's the best phone ever made. That's hype.

What's really odd is, despite the widespread use of the word "hype" in the board game community, all of the designers I know are quite humble. Sure, they're passionate and proud of their creations, but they don't hype their game as the best of all games. They know, like I do, that some people will like their games, and others won't.
I see you've never met Bruce Krotter, the designer of Dogfight Recon Strategy. I'd include a link to the many threads, but they have all been deleted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.


Because it is a hassle to package up something this size/weight and sell it. I will eventually either sell it locally or bin it, at the moment it is parked in a corner gathering dust. I might get it played again at some point but there are so many better games in my collection that I see no reason to break it out right now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
Dna_Boy wrote:
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.


Because it is a hassle to package up something this size/weight and sell it. I will eventually either sell it locally or bin it, at the moment it is parked in a corner gathering dust. I might get it played again at some point but there are so many better games in my collection that I see no reason to break it out right now.


Why didn't you take advantage of Jamey's no-questions-asked 30 day return policy?

To be honest, now is the time to be selling. People are paying premium prices. Once it hits retail, your resale value plummets.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
asobu wrote:
Dna_Boy wrote:
There are also a bunch of haters. Don't know why they aren't selling it though.


Because it is a hassle to package up something this size/weight and sell it. I will eventually either sell it locally or bin it, at the moment it is parked in a corner gathering dust. I might get it played again at some point but there are so many better games in my collection that I see no reason to break it out right now.


Why didn't you take advantage of Jamey's no-questions-asked 30 day return policy?

To be honest, now is the time to be selling. People are paying premium prices. Once it hits retail, your resale value plummets.


It's a hassle.. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.