Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helo Germany!
I just moved here.
For an undefined period of time I will be leaving living in Offenbach.
Can someone tell me what are the possibilities of playing games here (Offenbach/Frankfurt)?
What are the places that I should point my attention to? Where to go?
Or maybe there are some groups that need reinforcements?
Unfortunately I speak little German, I use English to communicate.
Maybe I should also mention that I'm a (let's say) hard core player. I have a descent experience with heavy board games. Of course I also enjoy good light games. (You can check my profile to see some of my favorites.)
Looking forward to hearing form you guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dawid,

Welcome to Germany and personally I would also opt to "leave" Offenbach being a Frankfurter myself ;-)

You can checkout the following guild: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/414

We meet every Thursday evening (7 PM) in Frankfurt (not too far from Messe or Galluswarte) but of course a lot from us are native German speakers but we also have a lot of people like you joining every now and then, so most of the tables are definitely willing to play games in English - you just need to ask

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Markus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
We meet every Thursday evening (7 PM) in Frankfurt (not too far from Messe or Galluswarte) but of course a lot from us are native German speakers but we also have a lot of people like you joining every now and then, so most of the tables are definitely willing to play games in English - you just need to ask
Is something happening on the weekend?
What is this place that you are meeting in? Is it a pub, or some kind of club?
Is there a pub dedicated to boardgamers in Frankfurt (where people play every day)?
In Krakow (where I come from) we have such place, and then there is also appropriate Facebook group where people can arrange meetings. Makes things so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
You can checkout the following guild: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/414

We meet every Thursday evening (7 PM) in Frankfurt
Hmm..
I was hoping for at least couple options.
Thursday evening is no good for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are regular board game meetups held every other Sunday at Cafe Albatross in Bockenheim in Frankfurt. The next meetup there will be held on the 17th and it's always starting at 5pm. The cafe has a strange layout where you can enter in two doors and end up in what looks like two separate places, but they're connected in the back so if you get there and don't see anyone, make sure you go around the back and check the other half. Usually the gamers hang out in the left half. This will primarily be in German though, I think. I'm not sure.

Also, if you got to meetup.com you'll find at least two active groups there who do meetups. One of them is english speaking and will also meet in Cafe Albatross, but is independent of the regular meetup I described above (confusing, I know).

There's a great board game shop (Terminal Entertainment or T3 for short) close to the city centre in Grosse Eschenheimer Strasse 41. They have a big selection of English games as well. It's pretty much the only dedicated game store we have in Frankfurt and they sometimes will have flyers and ads from groups looking for players etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions

PS.: There's a rivalry between Offenbach and Frankfurt and people from Frankfurt generally don't like Offenbach, so you'll likely hear a lot of jokes and comments about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Grünherz for your reply.
Gruenherz wrote:
PS.: There's a rivalry between Offenbach and Frankfurt and people from Frankfurt generally don't like Offenbach, so you'll likely hear a lot of jokes and comments about that
Yep. I already have noticed that.
I've heard that OF on registration plates stands for Ohne Führerschein
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S.
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
True! Its like Köln and Düsseldorf - but a bit less when it comes to agressive Driving.

Good Test of Courage: Driving through the Kölner Kreuz Friday at 17.00 with an Düsseldorfer Licenceplate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Hi Dawid,

Welcome to Germany and personally I would also opt to "leave" Offenbach being a Frankfurter myself ;-)

Funny.

I'm going to The Spiel for the first time this year, and decided to spend a couple days in Hessen before heading to Essen. My father was born in Offenbach. But having visited once (albeit quite a few years ago) I opted for Limburg instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.