Risk Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Your thoughts on Mission Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
This game looks right up my alley, but what makes me hesitate are the Mission Cards used in the advanced variant. I think they sound like a good addition as a more interesting/tricky way to get crowns rather than buying them outright, but I tend to really hate secret goals (I'm all about interaction where you know what people are aiming for, and can plausibly try to stop them).

Would playing with Mission Cards as open information be a detriment to the game? Maybe also with the change of having two mission cards active at once, to increase your options as compensation for people knowing what you're trying to accomplish?

Or have I misunderstood how mission cards work? I haven't read the rules for this game yet (they're still unavailable) so I'm going off reviews (which tend to focus on the basic game)

Any thoughts are appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
You don't have to use the mission cards to play the game. They are basically a variant. The base game rules allow the players to simply buy the cards,(a crown point) with 10 coins without completing the mission. I would definitely recommend not playing mission cards for your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Gamer
msg tools
I have found the mission cards to be way more enjoyable than just allowing players to buy crown cards to win.

As far as the secrecy of them I have found that once you know all 8 missions you have an idea of what others are trying to do based on what you don't have. Most of the missions are hard enough to complete, so in my personal opinion showing them would make it even harder. The only missions that I have found easy are the supply line of 10 territories and the tax of 15 coins. I'm not sure seeing the cards would really help you stop people and would make the missions even harder than they already are.

But that's just my 2 cents. If you try it let us know your experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Thanks for your responses I know the mission cards are not mandatory, but they sound more interesting than buying crowns outright. Hearing that they are difficult to accomplish and there are not too many alleviates some of my concerns (what I really didn't want was a Nexus Ops or Blood Rage kind of thing where you're constantly getting new cards and no one can have any idea what you're trying to do).

Quote:
I'm not sure seeing the cards would really help you stop people and would make the missions even harder than they already are.

It's a bit confusing if knowing what a person's goal is can't really help you stop them, yet would also make it more difficult for them to achieve! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert VanDormolen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
I prefer the King's Mission Cards over buying the Crown Cards. Most of the King's missions are quite difficult, and are usually achieved during the end game (I think it's more of a mechanic used by the winning player to shorten the game).

When I played the Crown Card version, everyone just turtled up, saved money, and bought crown cards....hardly any strategy involved.

In my opinion, the priority in the game is maintaining the largest supply line possible, saving up money, then spending it better than your opponent does. The King's Mission Cards are just icing on the cake, rather than the meat and potatoes of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.