GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Four Against Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Once per "adventure" vs once per "game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

just stumbled across 4AD today and i'm wondering about some of the terminology:

- Once per adventure
- Once per game

What's the difference? More specifically, if they differ then what is the definition of "game" in this context? ("Adventure", to me, means the specific delve/scenario currently being played.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They mean the same thing, a game is a single dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question. Also, is it correct every time I start a new adventure I should create new party of lev 1 characters? Unless buying some of the exp. in effect there is no use just using the base game of the money / items gained from your adventure..

Or.. Can you exit the dungeon in the middle of a game, do purchases and come in again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enricodonaggio wrote:
I had the same question. Also, is it correct every time I start a new adventure I should create new party of lev 1 characters? Unless buying some of the exp. in effect there is no use just using the base game of the money / items gained from your adventure..

Or.. Can you exit the dungeon in the middle of a game, do purchases and come in again?

Page 63 of rule book says...

Adventures can be played one after the other like the chapters in a book. This kind of continued play is called a campaign. In a campaign, your heroes retain the levels, equipment, and treasure accumulated in the previous games, thus becoming able to face bigger challenges. Wounds are fully healed between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:
enricodonaggio wrote:

Adventures can be played one after the other like the chapters in a book. This kind of continued play is called a campaign. In a campaign, your heroes retain the levels, equipment, and treasure accumulated in the previous games, thus becoming able to face bigger challenges. Wounds are fully healed between games.

Thanks! However since the game does not scale with player experience, possibly is going to be too easy as long as you level-up. In fact - maybe due to luck in rolls - it was on the easy side also for 1st level party on my 1st game. There should be really some way to increase difficulty as you explore deeper in the dungeon!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enricodonaggio wrote:
bkahuna wrote:
enricodonaggio wrote:

Thanks! However since the game does not scale with player experience, possibly is going to be too easy as long as you level-up. In fact - maybe due to luck in rolls - it was on the easy side also for 1st level party on my 1st game. There should be really some way to increase difficulty as you explore deeper in the dungeon!!

You could always increase the level of the minions or Bosses.

I think they are working on an add-on called Four Against the Darkness: Deeper Levels.

What’s on theDeeper Levels?
We are working on a supplement for the deeper levels of a dungeon, adding deadlier traps and monsters, more spells, special skills for your characters, and more treasure for you to plunder.

Currently they have an add-on called Caves of the Kobold Slave-Masters which is for level 3 and 4 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enricodonaggio wrote:
However since the game does not scale with player experience, possibly is going to be too easy as long as you level-up. In fact - maybe due to luck in rolls - it was on the easy side also for 1st level party on my 1st game. There should be really some way to increase difficulty as you explore deeper in the dungeon!!

i thought it was easy until my 5th or 6th dungeon, where the party encountered Invisible Gremlins which stole all their gear and a Chimera which cooked the whole party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.