$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
By card fighting, I mean games where two opponents face off with oppositional decks, usually differing from each other, and duke it out until one is destroyed.

I include:
Magic: The Gathering
Android: Netrunner
Legend of the Five Rings (currently defunct)
Doomtown: Reloaded (currently being defuncted)
Yomi (second edition)
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Mage Wars Arena
Summoner Wars: Master Set

My list is far from complete. For definitional purposes, I don't include games like:
Dominion or Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, which don't really seem like battling games to me. I'd be hesitant to include other shared games like Star Realms, although I'm open to being convinced.

So? What others are there? And which is the best? (There can be only one!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only one I think you missed is Epic Card Game. From the makers of Star Realms, it plays like high-speed MTG. Does Warhammer 40,000: Conquest count? Technically the primary objective is to capture planets, not destroy your opponent, but you can win by killing the opposing warlord. Neat game, love the art, but some of the rules are a-thematic which gets in the way of enjoyment a bit.

I really haven't played many of the ones listed. I like Epic due to the low investment, both financial and time. I love everything about Doomtown except for how difficult it is to teach (especially to someone that doesn't know how to play poker), and how scatterbrained the rulebook is. It really could have used a FFG style Rules Reference, or at least a glossary in the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Blue Moon is a particularly good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
Germany
flag msg tools
Well there are two more that come to my mind:
Blue Moon (it's rather simple and definitely wouldn't qualify for the best)
Catan Card Game, together with some expansions, also allows you to build your own deck before the game and try it against your opponent — although there's not much fighting involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait, where is the poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would any of these make the cut?
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game your facing off an automated deck and a bit more in scenario
A Few Acres of Snow its got the opposing decks but its kinda treated like a behind the curtain mechanic
Smash Up king of the hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Wait, where is the poll?

I wasn't sure I had a complete list. My polls must be scientifically valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I quite enjoy Magic: The Gathering, Android: Netrunner, Doomtown: Reloaded, Epic Card Game and am learning Mage Wars Academy. I can understand the "non-battling" impression of 2-player Star Realms, I don't really feel that Android: Netrunner feels super battley to me, either. Confrontational surely, but not battley. I know that you specifically said you were looking for 2p games, but I think Star Realms starts to feel more battley with 3 or more players.

At the current moment, I'm kinda most intrigued by Doomtown: Reloaded. It's just such an endearing oddball both with its mechanics and its almost fanatical devotion to its bizarre theme. I also find it refreshing that each game it feels like you come out of the gate swinging (which it shares with Epic Card Game, in my view). I haven't really tried deckbuilding yet, but each card's secondary function as a "combat" resource makes it seem like that rabbit hole could be quite fun. Despite its defunctness, there seems to be quite a bit of "there" already there. I think a base game and (maybe) a couple expansions will give plenty of replayability for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no-one mentioned Pokémon or Yugi-oh

(for the record, this isn't an endorsement)

Would Battle for Hill 218 (or the new Ogre reimplementation) fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter has a great game called GOSU but it gets edged out by BattleCon at our house.

EDIT she has more anime based card games but I have to check for em , someone here may know them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: A Reign of War

I'd also probably include Dice Masters and definitely the upcoming Star Wars: Destiny. Baseball Highlights: 2045 is kind of like a card battling game. Thunder & Lightning could count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VS 2PCG, the new version of the old Marvel/DC CCG from several years back, is pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
although I've never played it, my best gaming buddy talks about this one:

Rage

it's something about packs of werewolves fighting it out to the death. The one thing he keeps mentioning is one of the combat maneuver cards is called "Curb Stomp" He seems to find that cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dogzard wrote:

Rage

The one thing he keeps mentioning is a card called "Curb Stomp" he seems to find that cool.

Though I've played neither, I think it's more likely your buddy is talking about the identically named but apparently unrelated Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
dogzard wrote:

Rage

The one thing he keeps mentioning is a card called "Curb Stomp" he seems to find that cool.

Though I've played neither, I think it's more likely your buddy is talking about the identically named but apparently unrelated Rage.

Yeah, I realized I put the wrong one in. Fixed it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
By card fighting, I mean games where two opponents face off with oppositional decks, usually differing from each other, and duke it out until one is destroyed.
Legend of the Five Rings (currently defunct)

My list is far from complete. For definitional purposes, I don't include games like:
Dominion or Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, which don't really seem like battling games to me. I'd be hesitant to include other shared games like Star Realms, although I'm open to being convinced.

So? What others are there? And which is the best? (There can be only one!)

Just a heads up that Fantasy Flight Games picked up the Legend of the Five Rings license and will be releasing it at next years gencon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's tons of 'em! On my blog I'm doing a series of posts about TCG and ECGs. Here's a list I made. At the bottom of the list are games that aren't TCG/ECGs, that give a similar feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also from Level99, Pixel Tactics might fit the bill, although they use the same decks for both side out of the box. There are deck customization instructions or outright using completely different decks if you so choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed out both the Warhammer LCGs... Warhammer: Invasion and Warhammer 40,000: Conquest. I don't recommend Invasion and I've not played Conquest.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is solid and attractive. It's in no way incredible, but it's a very well made game with beautiful art.

If you like the theme of Android: Netrunner just get that, you can't really beat it. It's absolutely superb. However, the gameplay is slightly unusual and you're not really attacking each other, you're sort of trying to outwit one another to score points. When playing it I kinda miss the simplicity of just trying to kill my opponent, but it is just an awesome game and I highly recommend it if you think it's something you might be interested in. I don't think any other card games really compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Allegiance: A Realm Divided is my favorite card fighting game.
It's a stand alone game with all original art, which is all exquisite.
It can be stand alone because there are 3 shared decks. Each player does not have to supply their own deck.

The game play is also unique from other fighting games in that your avatar, your hero, has unique powerful abilities instead of just being a pile of health points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
The Ares Project

My recommendation is for this little gem of a game. 4 completely different factions, each with many strategies. Hidden information and quick turns simulate the feel of a computer RTS. Definitely worth a look.

My vote for "best" goes to magic: the gathering. It is so versatile and can be any number of games to any person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Been looking at a few of these and have come across these. In both of them you build your own deck before you start.

Field of Glory: The Card Game
Like battle line a bit but with combat related tactical elements - there's terrain to conquer and certain units will have different abilities depending on where you place them.

Ortus Regni
You're a feudal lord and you place cards to build and defend your lands and attack your opponents to take theirs or kill their people. Winner is the last person standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.