Age of Steam» Forums » General

Subject: First play tonight, base map or Scotland? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few days ago, I received my copy of AoS aqcuired in a math trade. Tonight my girlfriend and I will play it for the first time, two-player. I read up on the forums a bit and downloaded the Scotland map. But should I use that or the base map for a first play? I guess Scotland will make for a more interesting game, but maybe having all the space of the base map wouldn't hurt for two first-timers Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
A few days ago, I received my copy of AoS aqcuired in a math trade. Tonight my girlfriend and I will play it for the first time, two-player.

Any two-player AoS map is going to be extremely mean and competitive. So if you've been wanting to break up with your girlfriend, play the Scotland map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And conversely, a map (Base) that is designed for about five players may not seem very interesting when played two players.

I really like AoS and play mostly on the Base map. But, I only want to play the game with four or five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland is meant for 2P and is a good map. Base map will be too open for 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But the interesting auction part of the game is notably reduced in 2-player AoS, alas. (Different 2-player boards make different special rules for how to modify the auction.) And there are no emergent temporary alliances running on shared track, etc.

If you have any interested friends, I'd consider waiting to play multiplayer instead of playing 2-player as your first time. But if not, 2-player is better than nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments so far
Breaking up!? She kicked my behind at Brass the last two times we played (once 3p, once 2p) and will play AoS with me. This one's a keeper!

As much as I would like to give it a whirl with more players, that's just very unlikely to happen anytime soon. And I'm too curious about the game to have it lying around for months without checking it out. So it'll have to be a two-player game for now.
As on the map, I still haven't decided. I printed Scotland so I can choose. I guess it might not even matter all that much as new players. Either we'll be in each other's way without meaning to on the Scotland map, or we'll be clueless far away from each other on the base map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd strongly recommend a 2er specific map like Scotland over the base map! Yes, you lose a little something, but you still get a good feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rules_heretic wrote:
And conversely, a map (Base) that is designed for about five players may not seem very interesting when played two players.

I really like AoS and play mostly on the Base map. But, I only want to play the game with four or five.

There's a variant that allows you to transform Rust Belt into two 2-player maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And we played it! Ended up playing Scotland, since I just spent a bit of time swearing at my printer while printing it a second time and I just didn't want that to go to waste. I ended up beating my GF 68 to -15... She was kind-of locked out of most of the map for most of the game, while I was off making money. She didn't hate it, though, and would play again. And that's all I can ask of a first play of a game like this She responded the same after her first play of Brass, and likes that one now, so it's all good

The most probable way in which we'll play it with more than two is three, by the way. Any tips on a good map for that? PnP or otherwise available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For three I love Age of Steam Expansion: Montréal Métro and I like both Age of Steam Expansion: Tibet and Cyprus and Age of Steam Expansion #3: Scandinavia and Korea.

Edit: Of the two-sided maps, I've only liked Scandinavia and only played Cyprus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
The most probable way in which we'll play it with more than two is three, by the way. Any tips on a good map for that? PnP or otherwise available.

FWIW the last time I played AoS was a 3-er with Age of Steam Expansion: Switzerland, which was a map with unusually difficult expensive building, which we all 3 enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Switzerland and Montréal Metro are both available as PnP, so easy enough to get hold of. I like the Montréal map but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners because of the number of rules changes it introduces. Even experienced AoS players were struggling with the best way to use Government Track in our plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered Scandinavia and Korea. The 'no inherent demand' mechanic in Korea seems so very nice and mean, and I saw it at a good price

Where can I find the files for Switzerland? The forum topic on its game page says it's available to users of the AoS Yahoo group. But I'm unable to find this group, and the files aren't available on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Where can I find the files for Switzerland? The forum topic on its game page says it's available to users of the AoS Yahoo group. But I'm unable to find this group, and the files aren't available on BGG.

I know of an AoS yahoo group called ageofsteamgame which seems to have various maps including Switzerland:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ageofsteamgame/files
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Wormaap wrote:

I know of an AoS yahoo group called ageofsteamgame which seems to have various maps including Switzerland:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ageofsteamgame/files

Thanks a ton I guess Google doesn't index Yahoo Groups or something, as I really couldn't find it. Grabbed the map, and the other ones there as well. Always good to have some variation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.