6 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Leader Series Portability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron B
msg tools
mb
TAL is the first game I've played in the Leader series. I just noticed there's a Huey Leader based on the TAL format. I think I'd like to get that one now too.

Aside from it's own theater and campaigns of the Viet Nam War era, I thought it might be neat to have some green tiles for possible use in TAL custom scenarios. ...and some more aircraft and pilots would serve as a nice expansion for TAL. Wondering though, are the units in Huey Leader scaled differently? Would the Cobra and Cobra Pilots be directly portable?

Also saw a few other Leader games (Tiger Leader, Uboat Leader, Hornet Leader, Phantom Leader, etc...) and was wondering how portable any of those games/units/weapons might be? Understanding there's a slight gameplay difference regarding seperate aircraft and pilot cards. ...but would an F-18 from Hornet Leader be usable at all for TAL??

I'm thinking Huey Leader units might be directly portable, based on what I've seen of the Aircraft and Pilot cards, but has anyone played around with mixing up the units a bit from any of the other games in the series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i know DVG has something you can download that allows Hornet Leader and TAL to be used together.

*edit*

TAL & HL Linked Campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huey Leader is a title that is planned for future release by DVG. If you go out to their website (www.dvg.com), you'll see it is in a "pre-order" status - and has been for several years. Their pattern in the past year or so is to gather some indication of interest via pre-orders, then launch a Kickstarter once the game is nearly completed. There's been some rumor that Huey Leader may go Kickstarter in 2016 or early 2017, but I'm not aware of any definitive plans stated.

My guess is that Huey Leader is only in the most basic stages of design - if I'm correct, it would be difficult to guess how closely Huey would resemble TAL. Some design remarks state that some missions could include transporting and extracting troops from locations, but that could easily follow the route of Hornet Leader just as much using the hex terrain system of TAL.

More guesswork: I think it's a likelihood that Huey Leader would use an individual aircraft approach as does TAL.

TAL differs from the other Leaders in that the pilot is separate from the aircraft, so moving craft from one to another would require some translation.

Weapon portability: I think the weapons between Hornet Leader, Phantom Leader, and TAL are highly comparable and could easily be adapted between those 3 games. There are different game mechanisms between the 3, but it seems the weapons and actual aircraft are highly relatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Huey Leader being based during Vietnam the aircraft and weapons are much older versions of what you have in TAL.
The AH-1 Cobra in Huey Leader will be the first pure attack helicopter built by the U S.
The AH-1 Cobra in TAL is a newer very much updated version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
i know DVG has something you can download that allows Hornet Leader and TAL to be used together.

*edit*

TAL & HL Linked Campaign

I've actually played this way and it's a blast. I need to get around to doing it again, so I can (hopefully) remember to post it on SGoYT this time... cool

Certainly works a lot better than their hastily thrown together linked-campaign rules. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron B
msg tools
mb
MJA1967 wrote:
With Huey Leader being based during Vietnam the aircraft and weapons are much older versions of what you have in TAL.
The AH-1 Cobra in Huey Leader will be the first pure attack helicopter built by the U S.
The AH-1 Cobra in TAL is a newer very much updated version.

Um, yeah point taken, but...

It appears that they may use exactly the same construct for units. What I'm interested in, is seeing how the AH-1 attributes are measured in Huey Leader. I suspect it may be scaled differently... maybe more structure points, higher gun score etc.

What's interesting about this is: if the AH-1 exists in both games, it can serve as a scaling unit for unit portability between the games.

Since we are dealing with percentile dice, I would expect the AH-1 attributes in huey leader would be more powerful in relation to its peers in that genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.