$30.00
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Apparently, in a move to quash those pesky "frivolous lawsuits," the Colorado Legislature previously passed a law saying the winner in a civil case can force the loser to pay their legal fees.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/02/four-victims-colorado-t...#

A law professor I knew told me that knowledge of the law tempered with mercy produces justice. The only thing this case produced is a fresh pile of steaming shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I do not see how the cinema was really liable I am not sure I have any sympathy with the "victims".

They were offered compensation and turned it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in the comments section on that article brought up a good point, the lawyers who told the victims to sue the Theater company should pay the costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
As I do not see how the cinema was really liable I am not sure I have any sympathy with the "victims".

They were offered compensation and turned it down.

Damn Slater, you just gave me a warm and fuzzy, especially since you refer to people who were shot multiple times as quote-victims-unquote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Apparently, in a move to quash those pesky "frivolous lawsuits," the Colorado Legislature previously passed a law saying the winner in a civil case can force the loser to pay their legal fees.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/02/four-victims-colorado-t...#

A law professor I knew told me that knowledge of the law tempered with mercy produces justice. The only thing this case produced is a fresh pile of steaming shit.

So should Cinemark just be on the hook for their hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawyer and legal fees by this frivolous lawsuit?

I have great empathy for these families losing their loved ones, but no empathy that they tried to make a buck off of it by suing the theater of all things.

AND they were offered a settlement, but turned it down because it wasn't enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
It's called "loser pays" and it is actually the standard in most of the Western world's legal systems. It is indeed designed to cut down on frivolous lawsuits. But I agree these 4 victims received bad counseling from a hot-shot lawyer looking to make a name for himself on the backs of their misery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
It's called "loser pays" and it is actually the standard in most of the Western world's legal systems. It is indeed designed to cut down on frivolous lawsuits. But I agree these 4 victims received bad counseling from a hot-shot lawyer looking to make a name for himself on the backs of their misery.

In the UK if you are offered compensation and turn it down and still sue you are liable for costs. However this is a problem if the plaintiff wants an apology which is not offered because then it becomes about money. only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

While the visuals in this case look bad, this law is an awesome law. I wish every state did it.

If you sue someone and they are found not at fault, you "should" pay their legal bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
They probably would have won in Wisconsin. If you don't allow CCW on your property, you're liable if a nutter shoots it up.

Last I heard that law was merely a proposal from one legislator, and the Republican leader of the House has indicated it is not a priority. Indicating that not all folks think life is like a action film

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
They probably would have won in Wisconsin. If you don't allow CCW on your property, you're liable if a nutter shoots it up.

Last I heard that law was merely a proposal from one legislator, and the Republican leader of the House has indicated it is not a priority. Indicating that not all folks think like is like a action film

50+ people armed in a darkened room during a crisis, what could possibly go wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Last I heard that law was merely a proposal from one legislator, and the Republican leader of the House has indicated it is not a priority. Indicating that not all folks think like is like a action film

50+ people armed in a darkened room during a crisis, what could possibly go wrong?
Sop if a nuter opens up but I am shot by a CCW holder who is liable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

It's not standard in Oklahoma. And I would bet my last dollar that government court actions (criminal prosecutions and civil regulatory suits) are exempt from those types of laws. I have no problem with plaintiffs being allowed to counter-sue for expenses and legal fees; I have a huge problem with it being standard operating procedure. Besides, judges make good money and are supposed to be the ones who toss out frivolous lawsuits before they proceed. Sounds like we're just sticking it to poor people once again, and you people are applauding that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

The CCW holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the perfect solution, we put these Theater Security Agency (TSA) guys into every theater and crank up movie prices with a $20 security processing fee, a 30 minute wait, be forced take of your shoes, X-ray scans of your bags, and no liquids larger than 2oz. There might even be some theft of your personal belongings and unnecessary frisking involved and if you speak up you might get sent to the side for extra inspections and extra delays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

The CCW holder.

That's comforting. At least I would get a nice funeral out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.