4 Posts

Twin Peaks» Forums » General

Subject: Game review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
I've normally played war games about WWI and WWII. Recent period I've looked into games about the American civil war. I would have preferred to get the Three days st Gettysburg 3rd edition, but that seem to be difficult and expensive. So, Twin Peaks, I would like some comments on why I should buy it or not. I have no experience in this game series.

Thanks
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this series almost since its conception 1976, I started with Pea Ridge 1980. Over the decades the games have evolved very nicely with the new blood taking the helm and GMT publishing. IMO, There isn't one game in the series you would be happy with, I own them all. I was also one of the play tester on South Mountain, we had a great time doing it, all involved rigorously did their part to make it good.

My interest in the series, Historical, Accurate, evolution of the series and I'm ACW re-enactor since 1996

I hope this help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read a lot about ACW battles, and I have found no wargaming system that so recreates their drama like this one does. Most decent battle accounts will describe the action down to the regimental level; so does this series. In other words, GBACW is pitched right at my wheelhouse.

While every entry in the GMT series (and most of those in the older series) has its good points, Twin Peaks stands out in a couple ways:

-- The graphics are the best yet, and that is no mean claim, as several games in the GMT series boast top-notch graphics.

-- The errata is minimal compared to the rest of the series. But watch out with the South Mountain afternoon scenario; it can go off the rails if the activation markers fall the wrong way. For a fix of that problem see the Twin Peaks Forum in which I describe the problem and offer a solution I believe is 100% historically based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input I believe now that I do need to try this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.