Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the mission 1 each time, I get the same thing happening every time, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this is how it works...

I get the third teleporter out of the game, and then the events start spawning 2-3 "signals" a round. This means I end up with the last teleporter's area just filled to the brim with aliens. Is this correct? Is it possible to get a total win if this happens every time? Yesterday, I even tried letting them chase my guys to get them away from the teleporter, but if they don't activate, they don't move, thus I can never set it on fire. And the game ran out of time.

Thanks,
Dreux

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few times I've played the mission I've been able to clear that last teleporter and win, even with 5 agents, but the first 5-6 times I tried I had the same problems you did. In my last game, I ended up with 5 aliens clustered around the teleporter, but I still managed a win.

If the Alpha is still around, note that when he moves, he drags aliens with him, so that might help if you can manipulate his movement. Also, the betas will of course run away if you get too close to them. In my game, I had both the Hulk and Marine do rather successful Area attacks which put a serious hurting on the 5 aliens clustered around the TP. Then, I had somebody run up and force the Betas out of the way, and Mercury moved in and helped clear out the last Spine Critter in the way and Thorium moved in and torched the TP. Perhaps you need a bit of luck with activations and what not but a few games ago I never would have believed it would be possible to beat the scenario as I did the last time. So, I think as you get more familiar with the game, this type of thing will become easier to deal with. It's definitely a tough mission to beat as you're learning the game IMO.

Right now, I'm at Mission 3 again after getting trounced the last time I tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cajuntechie wrote:
I get the third teleporter out of the game, and then the events start spawning 2-3 "signals" a round. This means I end up with the last teleporter's area just filled to the brim with aliens. Is this correct? Is it possible to get a total win if this happens every time?

This is a common issue in the first mission. Taking out the fourth teleport requires both skill and some luck. There are several things that can help:

* As Warren already mentioned, manipulating the alien AI (as best you can) is key (the Xeno-Alpha can be quite helpful in this regard, though you might have to manufacture the situation a round or two before clearing the third teleport point)
* Destroying the teleporters in a different order can sometimes help; due to terrain differences, some of the teleporters are a lot more difficult to clear out if aliens swarm them.
* If you aren't getting too badly swarmed, it's sometimes possible to split your team and try for either same-round destruction or subsequent round destruction. Note that this is increasingly risky the fewer people are on your team (a 2-3 team split with five agents is your best bet for this sort of strategy).
* If this is a subsequent attempt (after a mission failure), remember that your surviving agents retain any ranks gained. If you're really desperate for a full win, you can game the system by intentionally "losing" (run yourself out of time without destroying more than 1 teleport) and then approach that final teleport on the subsequent attempt with a Rank 3 Hulk (meaning that you'll have access to the Charge skill).

Or alternately, just take your partial win and keep playing! The truth is that (barring going through Mission 1 more than once due to full mission failure) you usually want to play Mission 2 regardless, because that will result in more missions before Mission 5 (and you need every possible rank up you can scrounge before Mission 5, trust me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with 3 - that already takes too long to play a game - 5 is just too long for me, and also too hard to keep track of everything. My area attacking capabilities are from the Bio and the Marine's.

Quote:
If the Alpha is still around, note that when he moves, he drags aliens with him

I always kill the alpha as quickly as possible.
I also force the betas to move. but there are usually 1-3 spine critters there too.

I'm just going to take my partial win and move on and play mission 2. I was mostly playing this one multiple times to get a feel for some different group make-ups. I like the group I chose yesterday the best. (Marine, Sniper, Bio)

I think yesterday's game went the best. I was making good use of cover - what hurt a lot was the weather hindering my movement for a long time. And, I had to make some plays to get my sniper from bleeding to healed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Or alternately, just take your partial win and keep playing! The truth is that (barring going through Mission 1 more than once due to full mission failure) you usually want to play Mission 2 regardless, because that will result in more missions before Mission 5 (and you need every possible rank up you can scrounge before Mission 5, trust me).
The part in bold is key.

Here are some helpful files:
Galaxy Defenders Reference / Galaxy Defenders Tracking Sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't beat the mission until my 3rd playthrough either. I'm soloing it and as such taking jsut 1 agent to play as. Figured i'd keep it somewhat simple while i learn the ropes.

I think i made the mistake of soloing as the sniper (As well as not knowing how the ammo mechanic worked) and got my butt handed to me as soon as i stuck my head out of cover.

The third time around, i played as the 5th column Archon class. now i gather that he may be stronger (even without the innate psionic powers from the later expansions) but i was able to play a little more aggressively than i was with the sniper.

My 4th teleporter was lit on fire the same round that the "spawn 3 signals" event was drawn, and since i was right next to the only remaining teleporter, they all spawned in next to me, surrounding me. but since the game mechanics had it end the next turn as a win, i imagined it went something like the three of them stumbled out of the 'porter in flames, dazed and confused. seeing me standing there gun at the ready, they took off screaming into the night.

long and short of it, i think a lot of it comes down to luck of the draw and being able to maneuver in a somewhat strategic method. Best of luck to you, and i hope things work out for the best as you play! See you in mission 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensign53 wrote:
Figured i'd keep it somewhat simple while i learn the ropes.

FYI, playing with one agent is hands-down the most difficult the game can get (and downright impossible for some missions, unless you get supremely lucky). 2-3 agents is usually the sweet spot for starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
In my solo game I play 3 heroes. Perfect balance between enough going on and not too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I started by playing just three Agents, but as I mastered the game it was no trouble at all in expanding this lineup to a full team of five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently started a new campaign with a group that are basically new to the game. We had a full team of 5 and managed to blast our way through the spawns on the final TP and destroyed it with a couple rounds to spare. The game took much longer than it should have (around 5hrs) but that was probably due to outside distractions, a short pause when the pizza arrived, and a change of venue midway through the mission.

Still everyone had a good time. I'm hoping to play at a quieter venue next session so it will be easier for me to keep everyone's focus on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
i soloed the first 2 missions with the infiltrator no problem. beat each one on my first try. mission 3 is nigh impossible. not enough actions to pick up the thingies in the time limit.

it was fun to try though!!

I think for a hard but doable challenge, 2 agents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did solo it with just Chromium. I managed to complete the mission. It was the last time I played with just one agent. I much rather prefer to play with multiple agents. Last time I soloed, I used 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.